Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 09:47 PM

20 posts, read 64,275 times

Advertisements

Coming from a very diverse community here in the midwest, I find it easier to adapt to areas that are rich in diversity. I also find it easy to be around people who have a similar background or share the same culture as I do. North, south, east or west which community will work out the best? Please be very specific!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 10:38 PM

463 posts, read 1,648,011 times
Default You might be happier staying where you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cansbigsis22
Coming from a very diverse community here in the midwest, I find it easier to adapt to areas that are rich in diversity. I also find it easy to be around people who have a similar background or share the same culture as I do. North, south, east or west which community will work out the best? Please be very specific!!

Couldn't tell ya. I LOVE the locals here. Salt of the earth, hardworking, genuine, caring people. I LOVE the southern culture. Sounds like you'd be be happier staying where you are or moving somewhere other than NC.

Last edited by Cassie; 08-07-2006 at 11:04 PM..

Old 08-08-2006, 11:58 AM

34 posts, read 110,270 times
I confess I don't understand your question ... Are you looking for a diverse region--or not ... ?

Old 08-09-2006, 04:20 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,456,552 times
No, there are not specific areas of town where certain groups live. As far as I know, everyone in Greensboro is free to live where they choose. G'boro seems about as segregated as anywhere else in the south. It seems like everytime I open the newspaper, the NAACP (or affiliated group) is protesting against the "culture of racism" in Greensboro.

Additionally, your question lumps races and sexual orientations together in the same category, which probably muddles things a little more.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:09 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,842,920 times
I'm confused, you say you want diversity but in the same breath you say you are most comfortable in the company of people who share your culture and background. As I see it you can't have it both ways.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 AM

Exclamation No need to be confused, unless you don't understand diversity.

Per Merriam-Webster...the condition of being diverse : VARIETY; especially : the inclusion of diverse people (as people of different races or cultures) in a group or organization <programs intended to promote diversity in schools>

I'm not sure where my responses went to, but...anyway Redrover what I'm saying is that it's nice to know that one can live in a community where there is a mix of everything, everyone (diverse). Yet it's also very comforting to find within that community that there are people who are closely resemble (culture) who you are. A highly educated, rich man would not move himself and his family to a section of the community that has known drug and gang activity, or where he'll be bound, gagged and robbed. He'd move himself to an area where there are folks with the same economic status as he has, unless he's trying to on a crusade to save the world.

There's nothing wrong with living in a community that offers a bit of everything, and I'm just asking if that's what the Greensboro area is like. And if there are certain areas of town where certain groups reside. Just because there may be areas that are highly populated with blacks, Mexicans, whites, or Asians doesn't mean those areas aren't open to individuals with different backgrounds culturally and racially. City of Milwaukee is mostly populated by white americans, but there are known areas of town where african american(north/central), Mexican/Latino (south), Asian/South Pacific (west/central), gay/*******/disabled/eclectic(east/central) and Arabic/Muslim americans(north) live. The area of town I live in is highly populated with african americans, yet there are white homeowners here as well as Asian, elderly, gay/*******, disabled and Mexican...diverse! Am I comfortable being around all these groups of people? Yes!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:46 AM

Cassie, Exjerseyite, Anonymous, Redrover...thanks for playing!!

Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 AM

463 posts, read 1,648,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cansbigsis22
Cassie, Exjerseyite, Anonymous, Redrover...thanks for playing!!
I understand what you're asking now, but I don't know the answer to your question. Yes Greensboro has cultural diversity, but I don't know who lives where.

IOW'S I don't know if the Montagnard Vietnamese in Greensboro have a certain area in which they live. My guess would be yes because that's the nature of their culture. Ditto with some, not all of the other people that you've asked about.

I think some of it is going to depend on economics, or having lived in the area a long time vs. being fairly new. Job location could be another factor. But for the most part, I honestly don't know the answer to your question and I don't know how to find out.

Sorry!

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 08-10-2006 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 AM

Thanks Cassie. your reply is greatly acknowledged and appreciated

Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,261,889 times
It appears that eastern Greensboro has more blacks living there than whites.

Is this part of what you wanted to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point