U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:45 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,898,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie
Cansbigsis22 wrote (in part):

Thanks, but no thanks. I didn't know there were more 'blacks than whites' in Greensboro, but thanks for that information. >>>>
==========
Hi again,

Please read re-read Nicki's post. That isn't what she wrote.

There are also "probably" more "blue collar" Caucasians in the SE or eastern part of Greensboro ( that Nicki mentioned) than in the NW. Again factoring in how long people may have lived there and where they work.

But, you're asking a tough question because Greensboro is an area where, in my experience, people who have lived in one part for ages can't even give you good directions from one end to the other, much less the ethnic make-up in specific sections. We've encountered this repeatedly. People here tend to think locally. A 30 minute commute, for example, is anathema to many of the longterm residents.

Regards,

Cassie
True. I agree with much of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 07:46 AM

20 posts, read 59,879 times
Thumbs up I apologize Niki for my misinterpretation...

but I do thank you for the information you've provided. I think I was just too excited that I'd finally received an answer to my question that I didnt even see (read) that you were stating Eastern Greensboro is predominantly African-American. Thanks again Cassie for pointing out that I'd misread or misquoted Niki, I can truly appreciate that.

Again I appreciate the information that was provided by everyone. I again apologize if anyone took offense or thought I was being 'testy' but that was not the intention. I was merely trying to explain without trying to be too wordy. I never once thought that anyone was trying to 'hide anything' from me, but I just wanted to explain that there could be diversity in a society where there are different classes (socially and racially) of people.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2006, 01:26 PM

34 posts, read 101,929 times
Here in the `boro there is a shortage of Italians, Greeks, Armenians, Southeast Asians and other ethnic groups whose food I enjoy!

There has been an influx of Southeast Asians but I don't know how significant their numbers are or where they live, but most probably in the southern county. Also there is a strong Mexican presence, but I don't know what specific neighborhoods they're settling into.

But this is my take on the diversity and how it's spread out:

1) city center/downtown went from being uninhabited to gentrified with mostly white middle class living in snazzy neotraditional condos and homes.

2) City of Greensboro is about 40/60 black/white, I think. Don't know nationality breakout. But 1% Jewish, max, I think--& most of Jews live within city limits near the two temples in town. Wealthier neighborhoods in town are mostly white, poorer ones mostly black. The usual unfortunate scenario.

3) Guilford County has higher percentage of whites overall. NW and SW county mostly white, NE, SE county has higher black population. NW county is the whitest part of town. Lots of relos automatically move there--but the schools are jammed.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:08 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,646,010 times
I've only lived in Greensboro for about a month, but I've noticed a few trends. Relative to downtown, the north, west, and northwest seem to be predominantly white areas. I think as you go farther NW, things get newer, and you have more relocated people (like me). If you go south, east, or southeast from downtown (or even SW somewhat), things seem predominantly black. Of course it's more complicated that that, but that's what I can tell so far.

There are lots of hispanics - not like "Mexican-American", more like people who speak no English. There seem to be a fair amount of Asians, considering it's the southeastern US. It's not the west coast, so you have to have realistic expectations.

I've never been to Milwaukee, so I can't compare the perceived diversity of this area. Milwaukee is 50% white and 38% black, so that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for diversity. Greensboro is 56% white and 38% black - so the numbers are similar.

According to wikipedia: "Within the Milwaukee region, race is frequently a contentious issue, and the city is frequently cited as hyper-segregated or even as 'the most segregated city in America'"

Perhaps you're from an unusually diverse part of Milwaukee?

Old 08-11-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Wiki-who?

Thanks Anonymous! I would go further, but it seems I'm going back and forth with you all...so for the sake of an argument with another human being within this forum I'll just say thanks and leave it alone.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 PM

I appreciate that information Exjerseyite. That's the kind of answer I've been in search of.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:17 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,687,448 times
City of Greensboro

White - 55.5%
Black - 37.4%
Asian - 2.8%

Guilford County

White - 64.7%
Black - 30.7%
Asian - 3.0%

Statewide

White - 74.1%
Black - 21.8%
Asian - 1.7%

Nationwide

White - 80.4%
Black - 12.8%
Asian - 4.2%

U.S. Census Bureau Data.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:50 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,898,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exjerseyite
Here in the `boro there is a shortage of Italians, Greeks, Armenians, Southeast Asians and other ethnic groups whose food I enjoy!
Well, I can't help with all of those, but I can suggest a good Italian restaurant run by a guy from New Jersey. It's called Bianca's and it's located on the corner of Spring Garden St. and Chapman. (Not far from the Coliseum.) My family and I eat there often and love it. It's a small place, but the wait usually isn't bad as most people aren't aware of it or are probably too afraid to try it. Olive Garden is always very busy here, so most people probably go there. I love OG, but Bianca's is delicious and seems authentic to me. It's gotten many awards from the locals.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:27 AM

463 posts, read 1,519,584 times
exjerseyite wrote: Here in the `boro there is a shortage of Italians, Greeks, Armenians, Southeast Asians and other ethnic groups whose food I enjoy!
==========

There's a good Thai restaurant in Greensboro. Rearn Thai on W. Market St. Actually there are 3 Thai restaurants but that's the only one we've tried so far.

There are 3 Vietnamese restaurants as well but we haven't eaten at any of them.

There used to be a Greek restaurant, Acropolis, but I think it may have gone out of business.

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 08-12-2006 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-12-2006, 08:56 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,646,010 times
I don't think the acropolis went out of business - I saw it downtown the other day. I forget where, though, Elm St. is the only street I know downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point