U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:42 AM

3 posts, read 13,496 times

Advertisements

Youll be lucky to make minimum wage in this **** hole town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 07:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,804 times
Talking Relocation to Asheboro

I've two views of Asheboro - both as someone who is 'from' here and as someone returning after forty years. My brother and I were both born here. He has retired after 25 years in the Navy and I'm still employed part time but relocated to join him here.

I love Asheboro and believe you'll get out of it what you put into it. The climate is unbeatable; mild winters as stated in other posts and its one of those wonderful places that still has four seasons. Beautiful location and scenery. Some complain about the lack of entertainment and again, that's a matter of perspective. If you're into 'big city' life (I moved here from St. Louis but have also lived in Kansas City and Atlanta) yes, you're probably going to be bored out of your mind. If you're between 20 and 45, you also stand a chance of being less than dazzled by places to go and things to do 24/7. BUT - if you are looking for a place where the arts are strongly encouraged, where you have a choice of several city lakes for fishing/boating, for unbeatable hiking in the nearby Uwharries or heading less than forty minutes away to Badin, High Rock or Tillery for cabins, water-skiing, swimming, horseback riding, kayaking - then you're in the right place. I'm an amateur photographer and have made many friends and associates of similar interests. There are regular backpacking trips for groups up into the Blue Ridge, especially Transylvania County. In Asheboro, you're very nearly split between the mountains and ocean - both an easy half day's traveling. We've good restaurants, varying from 'down home' country to local seafood and Mom' n' Pop joints as well as the average share of fast food and "Applebees" type eateries. If you're looking for Ruth's Chris Steak House or a Morton's experience - no, you're not going to find crystal and Havilland china on damask tablecloths.

Crime - of course there's crime - unless you can afford to live in a gated community with a dedicated security staff, yes, there's going to be crime no matter where you live. I remember the 'good ole' days' when people in Asheboro seldom locked their doors; now, you'd be nuts to do that. There's meth, pot and bath salts - and burglaries but I'd rather take my chances here than in St. Louis. Our police force, considering it's size, is fairly good; we've had to call twice in three years - an officer was at our door within five minutes each time. We do not live on 'the mountain' (where the 'better' half lives) nor do we live up 'north' 220 (the 'sketchier' side) in a fairly new development. You can find homes in and around Asheboro for 500k and up or in the $60k range depending upon your preferences and how picky you want to be. Our taxes are reasonable, our association fees are seventy five percent less than what I paid in Atlanta for a similar home and our property has only gone up in value since we moved here four years ago.

Schools - yes, that's a complaint and it's a shame because Asheboro has put a lot of money into facilities. Teacher pay and morale is low. We don't have children but most of our friends do - a lot of Asheboro kids go to schools in High Point or Greensboro, especially in families who put a premium on parochial or faith-based education.

Employment - I'm employed part time and make well over $10 hour. I'm also not a college graduate. There are a lot of jobs here but most are for unskilled labor and I've noticed the 'pay climate' varies - the salaries for unskilled labor do seem low compared to where I've come from. I will say this - I did have tremendous difficulty in finding work at first and although I'm not a college graduate, I've over fifteen years of experience in my 'field'.

Is Asheboro a perfect place? Absolutely not. There are terrific people here and we have amazing neighbors and friends but yes, we know some prize diphthongs as well. All spectrums of the social scale are fully represented here from uneducated, self-righteous bigots to wealthy, well-heeled, smug self-righteous snobs. You're going to find terrific people and the occasional ******* scattered here and there. Where are we? Somewhere in the middle.... You're going to find exactly what YOU expect to find.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyoop2 View Post
I've two views of Asheboro - both as someone who is 'from' here and as someone returning after forty years.
Wonderful post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point