Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 11:13 PM

10 posts, read 41,134 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting Greensboro in three weeks. I was hoping for some input on things to do there with young kids, we have a 6 and 4 y/o. Can we get to see mountains in a fairly short time? Any recommendations on a family trip to the area would be great. Doesnt have to be Greensboro but we may relocate there so somewhere close.Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 01:25 AM

72 posts, read 313,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwait2go View Post
My wife and I will be visiting Greensboro in three weeks. I was hoping for some input on things to do there with young kids, we have a 6 and 4 y/o. Can we get to see mountains in a fairly short time? Any recommendations on a family trip to the area would be great. Doesnt have to be Greensboro but we may relocate there so somewhere close.Thanks very much.
You might want to check out the Winston Salem, Clemmons, and Lewisville area just west of Greensboro shorter drive to the mountains but also short drive to Greensboro as well. The only thing I ever do with my kids in Greensboro is take them to Wet and Wild Emerald Point and visit my brother but I'm sure Greensboro has much more to do, but as a transplant as well, I would have to say the Winston area is a far better choice.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 PM

14 posts, read 91,980 times
Default Things to Do

Hanging Rock State Park is only an hour from GB and is mountainy and fun.
There are some short hikes to waterfalls that kids could do and a moderate hike to the top of the mountain that would be good for older kids. There is a small lake beach and canoe rentals. There is a fee to swim, but not to enter the park. You can also tube the Dan river outside of the park.

There is a REAL downhome country restaurant in the vacinity of the park that I'd recommend if you want to soak up the Carolinas. They have music some nights. No alchohol and definitely not a chain. The people there are friendly. I like to bring my relatives from Jersey there for a culture shock. All you can eat. Great biscuits. Family style. Southern Food. Country Atmosphere. It's called Hillbilly Hideaway and it's in Walnut Cove, NC. A great experience and delish!

In Greensboro, there is a minor league baseball team---the Grasshoppers. See if they have a home game. Also, walking the "downtown strip" in GB is fun. There is a new center city parks that kids love. There is a fountain that sprays over a walkway. . that is kind of like a sprinkler. The Woolworths where the Sit-In movement began is also on Elm Street and is an important site for kids to learn about. It's not a museum yet, but is still inspirational to see. Natty Greene's has a nice outdoor patio if it's not too hot, good food, and a kid's menu. Fincastle's in a fun diner. Cheesecakes by Alex is a great place for dessert, coffee, ice cream, or breakfast. Oh yeah, or frozen cheescake on a stick! The kids may like Alex's small tropcial fish tank too. Free wi-fi, as well. There's a pool table at The Green Bean Coffee shop that kids like. It's a coffee shop that also serves beer, which is nice for parents and doesn't have a bar atmosphere. These places are all along Elm Street in downtown. There is also a Children's Museum ($) on Church Street downtown. The Greensboro History Museum is downtown as well (it's free), most of it is a tad boring for kids, BUT if you go up to the 3rd floor there is a more interactive section called "Welcome to the Gate City." Kids can sit in a 1900s classroom, use a switchboard, and watch old movies. There's a very neat old graveyard behind the museum.

The Bog Garden in Greensboro is a great place to go on a nature walk and feed the ducks. Bur-Mil park has a swimming pool, golf, trails, and picnic areas. They have a cool "blue bike program" where you can borrow a bike and helmet for free to cruise the park. Country Park has playgrounds and paddleboats. Nearby is the Natural Science Center ($) that has lots of stuff for kids. The Lake Brandt marina is out that way too, nice trails, canoe rentals, views of the the lake (no swimming). There is a small free museum at the Greensboro Battlefield and a living history frontier farm.

Kids also like Celebration Station...which is out on the highway and is your general putt-putt, games, bumper boats kinda joint.

Hope you have a good trip!

Old 06-20-2007, 05:03 PM

10 posts, read 41,134 times
Thank you very much for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point