Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 AM

21 posts, read 56,381 times

Advertisements

Job options have appeared in two communities that both appeal to us and that seem similar in a number of ways. Columbia, SC and Greensboro, NC.

Just wondering if anyone on here happens to have experience with both and can offer thoughts on how the two stack up. Cost of living, culture, schools, lifestyles, etc.

Thanks much for any input you might have.

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:55 AM

84 posts, read 216,882 times
I was stationed in Shaw, and got to go to Columbia a few times.

I'd say Columbia is like Greensboro with UNC attached to it, but a bit scuzzier. Really was not all that impressed with Columbia, but Greensboro isn't great either.

I'd guess NC schools are better, but everything else would be a wash or real close. Greensboro you're within driving distance of Charlotte and Raleigh- Columbia is 3 hours away from anywhere else decent.

I guess I'd say really, they're pretty similar- so make your pick on other factors?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:42 AM

201 posts, read 594,161 times
I lived in Columbia for almsot 2 years and absolutely hated it!!! The armpit of SC!

Didn't have kids in school so can't comment on that and I won't give too many details other than it wasn't the type of city I am used to. I visited Myrtle Beach, Greenville and Charleston and loved those cities.

I highly recommend a visit to both cities to see what they are like but I don't think they are much alike at all.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arstal View Post
Greensboro you're within driving distance of Charlotte and Raleigh- Columbia is 3 hours away from anywhere else decent.
Charlotte is equidistant to both Greensboro and Columbia, so I have no clue what you're talking about there. It's also only about 1½-2 hrs from Charleston, and I suppose one could say that Charleston is minimally "decent." For a true "big city" experience, Atlanta is about 3 to 3½ hrs away. The distance to the mountains is about the same from both (Columbia is a little closer to Asheville than Greensboro is, however).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trese View Post
I highly recommend a visit to both cities to see what they are like but I don't think they are much alike at all.
I find them to be quite a bit alike--probably more similar to each other than other cities in their own states, actually.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Charlotte is equidistant to both Greensboro and Columbia, so I have no clue what you're talking about there. It's also only about 1½-2 hrs from Charleston, and I suppose one could say that Charleston is minimally "decent." For a true "big city" experience, Atlanta is about 3 to 3½ hrs away. The distance to the mountains is about the same from both (Columbia is a little closer to Asheville than Greensboro is, however).

I find them to be quite a bit alike--probably more similar to each other than other cities in their own states, actually.
well, I don't live in GBoro-I live in W/S and in Davidson Co at that. Quite different than Columbia!!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
well, I don't live in GBoro-I live in W/S and in Davidson Co at that. Quite different than Columbia!!
Not too much different than the Columbia suburbs (Lexington County, NE Richland).

Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM

I still disagree-people can't drive worth a flip in Columbia and isnurance is so high to reflect that.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I still disagree-people can't drive worth a flip in Columbia and isnurance is so high to reflect that.
LOL--you're basing differences between both areas on something as subjective and anecdotal as driving habits? I thought you were talking about something substantial like amenities, climate, local economy, etc. Furthermore, insurance rates have just as much to do with the state you live in.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:47 AM

No the cultures of the both cities are very different as well. But again I live in the outskirts of W/S not G'Boro. I have heard the 2 cities are quite different.

As far as amenities and climate, etc... yes the two cities in question are very similar indeed. Though Columbia does have sand on the ground in many areas and not many flowering trees whereas up here we have more color in the scenery. SC has palm trees too!! lol

Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
No the cultures of the both cities are very different as well. But again I live in the outskirts of W/S not G'Boro. I have heard the 2 cities are quite different.
"Very different" is Columbia or Greensboro vs. Los Angeles. I'm hardly saying the two areas are identical, but these two Southern midsized cities share more commonalities than differences. It's not like someone moving from Greensboro to Columbia or vice versa is going to be in for a major culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point