U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 30,625 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I am looking for information about Greensboro. I moving in the next 30 days but have no idea where to start looking. I am moving from Atlanta and looking to rent a pet friendly condo or apartment. I am looking for a neighborhood or complex that's secured entry or gated. I would prefer to live downtown, however I don't know what type of scene downtown Greensboro has. I will primarily work from home so commute is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 PM

61 posts, read 149,442 times
I can't think of anything in or near downtown that has a gated drive entry. But there are some rental buildings that have gated key card entry with exterior parking. The two that come to mind off the top of my head are Cityview and The Lofts at Greensborough Court.

I'd also recommend getting in touch with synerG. It's an organization for young professionals. They could probably give you some suggestions or even be able to show you around if you can made a trip up before your move. Either way, it's a great way to meet new people in town.

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the info. Cityview is looking like the front runner. Any other ideas? Any information is helpful. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 PM

14 posts, read 33,442 times
I would recommend Hunt's View Apartments off of Battleground Ave. My wife and I lived there for several years and enjoyed it. There is no gate, but it is extremely safe and there are a couple of Sheriff Deputies that live in the complex. It is pet friendly and they even have little baggies for you in the grassy areas if your pet happens to be a puppy.

It's about a 15 min drive form downtown. There's several grocery stores and places like Target or Walmart close by. There's a couple of mexican places, a NY pizza place, a place that will sell you meals for the week, and a couple of chain places like Applebee's close by.

Over all I don't think there's been any major crimes in the place. The maintenance staff was always helpful and the front office staff would have different events for folks in the complex.

Good luck with your search

Old 08-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Are there any other suggestions for downtown Greensboro besides City View? Thanks for all the info.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 35,647 times
Have you visited downtown Greensboro? Coming from Atlanta, I'm sure it's much smaller than you're even imagining. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice, with some great little restaurants, and there's been a lot more housing added in my 5 years here. However...there's no drugstore or grocery store within walking distance. You'll have to get in your car for many daily necessities. Again, not trying to steer you away at all, just want you to be informed.
And one of the beauties of GSO is that commute is never an issue It's awesome! We moved here from Charlotte, NC, and were amazed at what people call "traffic" here. So, driving to the nearest shopping center/grocery store from downtown will probably take you about 7 minutes. I commuted to Winston-Salem for 3 years (30-35min each way) and people thought I was nuts. It was nothing!
Good luck on your move. Like I said, we moved here 5 yrs ago from Charlotte when we were 26 or so. Feel free to ask any questions!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the info. Are there any other locations you would recommend for single young professionals?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 35,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlgreensboro View Post
Thanks for the info. Are there any other locations you would recommend for single young professionals?
Totally depends on your interests. Downtown is great if you want to walk to dinner, want to be close to nightlife, etc. It's also great if you want no maintenance. It's probably where you'll also find the most single professionals. I just don't want you to have inaccurate ideas about it!
There are many cute older neighborhoods with great houses..Fisher Park, Latham Park are two. Fisher Park is walking distance to downtown (maybe 1/2 mi?) and has a more "neighborhood" feel. Latham Park is maybe 2 miles from downtown.
Greensboro is just still a city where a car is very necessary, even downtown.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:43 AM

19 posts, read 58,794 times
i suggest you pick a new place to live. Greensboro is boring i have been here about 9 months and hate every minute of it i can wait to leave this month. The summers suck, the bugs suck , the green monster crap was hurrendous. Seriously you will be bored coming from atlanta. The people are not that friendly here they were very southern and nice when i visited but even after being here in a nice neighborhood not one of my neighbors has come up to us and said hello and i am outside all the time. I will say the traffic is better then alot of places however a 6 mile drive still takes 20 minutes but i was used to a 47 mile drive each way to work.

either way good luck but i would not suggest greensboro to any young person just for the simple fact that its super tiny to be called a city and not much going on

Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 12,147 times
Don't listen to smi...there are plenty of good things to do around Greensboro (I grew up in Atlanta and my family still lives there, so I can compare the two). I have lived in and around Greensboro for the past four years and it is a good city. I would take a look at Lincoln Green apartments up on Battleground, definitely before Hunts View. Lincoln Green is very pet friendly and it is across from the park over by Old Battleground where you can walk or run with your dog with no problems. It is also near Bur Mil park and Lake Brandt where we take our dog swimming.

I haven't lived in LG in a couple of years though so, I don't really know how it is now, but a couple years ago, it was a great place to live and just a 10 min drive to downtown where there is always plenty of parking for weekend nights.

Greensboro has gotten better in terms of things to do in the few years that I have lived here and it will continue to improve that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point