U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2006, 08:54 PM

20 posts, read 59,848 times

Advertisements

How's the High Point area? I know that Greensboro is not too far away, but how's the job market, crime level, city government, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 01:03 PM

463 posts, read 1,518,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cansbigsis22
How's the High Point area? I know that Greensboro is not too far away, but how's the job market, crime level, city government, etc....
Hi Cansbigsis,

LOL. We just got back from High Point a little while ago. Nice place to shop and visit, I wouldn't want to live there. The town revolves around the furniture market and looks like it. Hotels, motels, chain stores, chain restaurants, etc. Just kind of a "we're here to cater to the tourists" feel.

The cost of housing is extremely inexpensive.

Crime rate is higher than the national average. Two years ago there were parts of High Point that were so bad that ( according to an article I read) even trained police officers didn't want to enter them. Due to some new program that was instituted, the PTB claim that the crime rate is down by 20%. To their credit, the city itself does seem to care about having adequate law enforcement, but parts of High Point are spread out over at at least two counties, Guilford and Forsyth, I think it is. ( Possibly a 3rd?) Don't get me started on the state of law enforcement in Guilford due to the PTB, or on the County Supervisers

There have been ongoing problems with drugs, gangs, etc. in High Point.

I haven't been to the bad parts of town, but my husband, (who was formerly in law enforcement) has. He says they are bad, but not as bad as the bad parts of Winston-Salem. I guess it's all relative. I wouldn't want to live in either.

There seems to be a large non-English speaking Hispanic population in High Point, but then, that seems to be the case in every part of the state I've been in. NC is #7 in the nation in illegal immigration. Kind of surprising when you consider that we are not a border state.

Overall, the furniture shopping is great, the wages tend to be lower paying than in Greensboro, and the city itself just doesn't seem to have a charming or even southern feel to it.

I know people who live there and love it, but that's my perception of High Point for what it's worth. Since you're planning a visit to Greensboro, you might spend a day in High Point and see what you think.

I'm always left with an "okay it was nice to spend the day there, but I'm glad to be back home" kinda feeling.

Cassie

Old 08-14-2006, 07:34 AM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,556 times
Default Hp

It's a dump, except for the north HP suburbs.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,142 times
Default Dump Definition ?

I am curious as to your definition of a "Dump" in describing an entire city ?
Thanks.

Happy4U

Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 AM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,556 times
Default Hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy4U View Post
I am curious as to your definition of a "Dump" in describing an entire city ?
Thanks.

Happy4U
There are a LOT of blighted areas of High Point, especially for a city of its size (75k-100k people). The entire area east, south, and west of downtown is either heavily industrial or low-income housing.

There honestly aren't too many "nice" neighborhoods in High Point. The Emerywood neighborhood north of downtown has well-maintained, older homes - and there are a few decent neighborhoods in that area - but the rest of what you could call High Point proper leaves a lot to be desired.

It's OK as you move towards and into the north HP neighborhoods, but the rest of the city is bleak.

By the way, the two High Point "city" schools - Andrews and Central - are literally two of the lowest performing high schools in the state.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:27 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,625 times
When I drove around High Point I was lost, so I felt like I saw a lot of it and spent the day furniture shopping and I wouldn't even want to spend the day there if I could help it. I didn't see anything really appealing about it. And I was trying so hard to be positive because I had just moved here and was trying to "show off" NC to my mom who was visiting....

Old 09-26-2006, 11:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,391 times
Count me in with those who aren't that impressed with High Point. I've been there many times, but it's been a few years at least since I went there. It's just not a pleasant or attractive place, in my opinion. Which is a shame since this part of NC (Piedmont) is such a lovely area for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point