U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,413 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm a 20 something, african-american female who is looking into relocating from a big city up north to Winston-Salem, however i know nothing about the area or the south. Can someone please help me???? I would like to know about attractions, shopping areas, churches, neighborhoods, etc... Is it alot of racism in that area? Is the crime rate high? please help me out
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 PM

75 posts, read 357,275 times
attractions- W-S is a city of arts and history. You could visit Old Salem, take in a show at one of the local theaters, take the relatively short drive to the NC zoo or Carrowinds (theme park).

shopping areas- Hanes Mall is the main mall in W-S. It is larger than the Greensboro ones I think.

churches- there is a church on every corner. What denom. are you specifically looking for?

neighborhoods- there are a lot of different neighborhoods in and around W-S. Waughtown seems to be more for poorer Spanish speaking families. Out toward Tanglewood you would have a bit more wealthy neighborhoods. Patterson Ave. area is known for higher crime rates.

racism- it depends on the neighborhood I think.

crime rate- downtown has higher crime rates, more rural areas less. You can google Winston-Salem and Forsyth County and see maps of crime rates per area I think.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,148,191 times
Default Winston-Salem

For an African-American female, I think you will like the Triad area of NC. Racism is always an issue but I think in the larger NC cities, there is a greater awareness of the civil rights issue. Shopping is good in the area and there have been lots of people in recent years who have moved to NC to get away from the big cities. The problem is now NC cities are getting like the places people left. Winston-Salem has a big mall on the sw side of town. Overall, the Triad is a family friendly place. You will never have trouble finding a church and therefore many friends who will help you settle in. Winston-Salem is in the piedmont area of NC. If you drive a bit toward Mt. Airy, you can start to see the Blue Ridge/Appalachian mountains and not far from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:44 PM

32 posts, read 231,390 times
Everything will seem so laid back compared to Detroit. I think you'll do just fine. I must admit that I am not African-American, I am not a woman, and I am not 20 something, but I have been all over NC, NJ, NY, CA and MI, and so I have some basis for comparison. I think just about anyone from anywhere would feel pretty comfortable in the Winston-Salem area or Greensboro - or, though not in the same area, Raleigh or Wilmington. Charlotte and Asheville, although pretty interesting places, make me think twice, but for very different reasons.

Anyway, to put W-S in Michigan perspective: it is much more laid-back than Detroit, artier and cooler with more going on than Lansing, nowhere as in love with itself as Ann Arbor, and much friendlier than Grand Rapids. Mind you, I like all of those Michigan cities - I am a Michigan lover, so there is no put down in an y of that, just a way to give you a sort of image of the place.

These links are kind of cool:

DADA - The Downtown Arts District Association of Winston - Salem
Welcome to Old Salem -- find yourself in another time and place
Winston Salem Downtown Summer Music 2007

As for racism, it doesn't seem much different here than anywhere else in the North, and in some ways it might be kind of better. You know how weird people can be.

As for crime, well, check out the City-Data stats. I am sure the crime rate is lower than Detroit, but probably on par with Grand Rapids and maybe Lansing.

Last edited by ralston; 07-06-2007 at 09:53 PM..

Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,852,701 times
You'll enjoy Greensboro, you may be culture shocked at first at how laid back it is compared to Detroit but you'll like it especially once you meet some people and get to know the area. I lived in Detroit for a while and no offense but Greensboro is a heck of alot nicer, Detroit has some major issues, I did not like living there at all. Almost got mugged leaving Greek town. Another time down Woodward (I think that is it) avenue, there was some drama happening, I had run a red light!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:14 AM

4 posts, read 10,346 times
HI. I'm also an African-American 20-something year old female who relocated from MI 9 months ago. I moved to the Triad from Grand Rapids but I have spent a lot of time in Detroit. I understand what you are going through. Things are more laid back here than in Detroit. I personally haven't run into any racism yet but I know it exists. To me it was a bit of a culture shock. I also agree with the previous post by ralston...people here are friendlier. Are you moving alone or with family? Do you have any friends here at all? If you need any help you can send me a message.

Last edited by icaspe; 07-08-2007 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point