Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM

23 posts, read 35,039 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow tar heels;
I am moving back home after a long 10 year stretch.I will probably have to rent an apartment for the first year,then look for a house.I need your help,since i have not been there in a long time,how has it changed overall?

I do need some suggestion's on renting apts.I am looking for a place that is not occupied by alot of minorities.I want to live quietly and peacefully as possible.I know this is hard,considering i want to live in an apartment.

I am looking to stay in around Guilford County area.Jamestown,High Point,& maybe Thomasville,depending where it is.

Also,how about public schools?I have heard not so good stories about Central and Andrew's,what in your opinion is the safest & best schools?Public or Private?

Last edited by Elizabethan1558; 08-25-2010 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: ------,........edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:23 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,140,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethan1558 View Post
I am looking for a place that is not occupied by alot of minorities.
Maybe you could find a nice place in the backwoods of Montana or Idaho--I hear that's the trendy place to live for racists these days.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,464,442 times
i was gonna say...
whom are these minorites you speak of? and how noisy are they?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 AM

314 posts, read 1,180,105 times
When I saw the thread title, I thought the OP was asking about emergency rooms in NC.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 AM

123 posts, read 277,899 times
Default Racism?

Ok. I know I'm going to get flamed for this but here go's. What is so wrong in asking this question that you have to insult someone by instantly calling them racist! First off he or she does not say what race they are? Black, white or from outerspace. Now if some one came on here asking for info on a area that was mostly Asia,Chinese, Mexican or Scotish would we call them racist for wanting to live in an area that they are attached in some way too. No I don't think so? But if you happen to come on and ask for an area that is say mostly white american you are a racist! and instantly assumed to be a fully signed up member of the KKK.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,140,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
Ok. I know I'm going to get flamed for this but here go's. What is so wrong in asking this question that you have to insult someone by instantly calling them racist! First off he or she does not say what race they are? Black, white or from outerspace. Now if some one came on here asking for info on a area that was mostly Asia,Chinese, Mexican or Scotish would we call them racist for wanting to live in an area that they are attached in some way too. No I don't think so? But if you happen to come on and ask for an area that is say mostly white american you are a racist! and instantly assumed to be a fully signed up member of the KKK.
I'm not going to flame you, but I will explain why the OP appears to be racist. The OP says he/she doesn't want to live near minorities, and the next sentence implies that minorities would be noisy and somehow "not peaceful" simply because they are minorities. That by definition is racist because he/she is associating a negative behavioral trait to an entire race.

If the OP had said "I don't want to live near noisy and violent people", there's no racist implication. There are plenty of white (i.e., "majority") people who are noisy and might disturb the peace, so why does the OP assume minorities would do this more than non-minorities? Racism, that's why.

OP, if I'm wrong, please explain yourself!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:10 PM

201 posts, read 592,868 times
Maybe what the OP should have said was "I am looking for something not inundated with lower class or lower income people" ... I will probably be flamed but oh well... If it quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck it might just be a duck!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times
When renting an apartment, it's a valid question not to want to be around a bunch of loud or "trashy" people. We've all seen apartment complexes that are "lost forever" due to such elements taking over.

The OP could have phrased it that way instead of specifying "minorities" which, even if it were true that the two demographics were one and the same (and of course they aren't), will now keep a high number of people from giving serious responses to the question.

Elizebethan, whether you meant it or not, your post is offensive to many people and I wouldn't expect a lot of response to it.

PS, it's "NC'ians", not "NC'ers"

Old 08-26-2010, 05:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,464,442 times
tell you what, i would rather live next to a "minority" than a trashy white person any day of the week. it shouldnt be about race but the attitude of the people!

seriously i still cant believe they are refered to as minority. at last count i am thinking there are as many of each group as there are of another.

i am caucasian, but i am seriously getting tired of all the race crap around here!
just TODAY someone refered to a shopping area and was telling me "it's starting to look like Mexico". really? seriously?? and maybe she thaught i would agree with her or maybe get into a discussion of how i thought the same?
i swtiched topics so fast her head spun.

would rather be around hard working Mexicans than people who think they are entitled to everything for nothing.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:45 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,703,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethan1558 View Post
Hello fellow tar heels;
I am moving back home after a long 10 year stretch.I will probably have to rent an apartment for the first year,then look for a house.I need your help,since i have not been there in a long time,how has it changed overall?

I do need some suggestion's on renting apts.I am looking for a place that is not occupied by alot of minorities.I want to live quietly and peacefully as possible.I know this is hard,considering i want to live in an apartment.

I am looking to stay in around Guilford County area.Jamestown,High Point,& maybe Thomasville,depending where it is.

Also,how about public schools?I have heard not so good stories about Central and Andrew's,what in your opinion is the safest & best schools?Public or Private?
The perfect place for you is Laurel Springs. While it is High Point, it's also Davidson County.
My sister who is a nurse used to live just a mile or so away from this place, not knowing it was there...and was paying twice as much.

It's more like a resort type apartment complex....swimming pools, grills, playgrounds, volleyball, basketball, fitness center, business center, etc. They have the clubhouse, too.

As far as minorities, I'm assuming you are white, you are the minority almost anywhere you go in the US. Going to have to get used to it.
But I'd say in this place whites do outnumber the other groups. Not for any particular reason...it's just the way it is.

If you choose to live there your kids will attend Davidson County Schools- Hasty Elementary (I think), Ledford Middle School, and Ledford Senior High School. You can check these out on the davidson county school website....just remember to type in NC or else you might get another state.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point