U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 12:21 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,175,229 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone!

We are contemplating a move out of Upstate NY. My Mom was originally from Eden-her Father was James Hopper(he was an architect there-many of his buildings are listed on they historical registries) and my late Father was from Danville, VA. Question is what can you tell me about the area? We've not been down there for a number of years-and last was to just drive through.

What can you tell me about schools? We have one child still in school-junior high age. What about jobs in the area? Hubby was in ready mix concrete at a dispatcher/sales here-then it tanked. He went back and learned HVAC-R-has his own a/c duct-dryer cleaning business here. I have a degree in hospitality and tourism, and certifications in medical billing and coding. Looking to hear about what businesses are there to enquirer about jobs.

How about car insurance, car registration, utilities(guesstimates), personal property taxes, that type of information. Mom left the area in 1953, so she's not familiar about what's changed. She used to get the local paper sent up-she enjoyed hearing about her hometown. We are looking for a place that may be a mother-daughter set up-not looking for HOA's-if they have them there. Not looking for a McMansion-just a nice comfortable place to set our roots down into. Also-what about outside of school sports in the area? Do they have soccer or field hockey?

Can you tell me about medical facilities? If we do decide to relocate-we'll need good Dr's for my Mom. Is there any assisted living facilities or nursing homes if it comes down to that someday.

Thanks for any help-we are working hard on convincing Mom to go back to her roots with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 18,802 times
[SIZE=2]Since no one else is getting back to you,
I am a dual resident of Plainfield NJ & Eden NC.
I own in Eden and the place I own will be no more since I made the mistake of buying in a part of Eden where drug addicts run rampant.
I grew up in Plainfield NJ which was an extremely high crime area and looked forward to my summers in Eden NC which was peaceful.
That has changed drastically.
Crime is also rampant. Every time I go there now something happens from vandalizism to robbery.So if you do not have allot of money to pay top dollar for a good part of town I would suggest staying in NY.
I have visited there (Upstate NY) and it is by far a better place.
[SIZE=2]Eden NC is 40% Ghetto.
Drug addicts everywhere stealing 24/7
If your place is vacant or you are away for a few nights and the place does not have booby traps you will come home to find your plumbing & wiring gone.
Police Night patrols are all at points of revenue like Communist check points leaving the town wide open for the druggies.
Too many low life families with their low life off-spring living off the tax dollars and STILL stealing anything they can get from the same people that are paying to keep them alive to begin with..
Police are a joke and only a couple of civilian patrols are allowing for the criminal disease to spread.
Car insurance moderate unless DWI charges.[/SIZE]

Car Registration is moderate also so long as you stay away from vanity plates.
Morehead hospital is one of the poorest. They just send you away to die somewhere else so it is not on their record.
If the way the children dress, speak,& act are a reflection of the education I can't say much for the schools either.
As it turns out I THOUGHT I was going to retire to Eden NC but I will probably end up dumping my homestead and hit the road in an RV.
As far as Eden NC,I do not feel I can go home again and wish I had went upsate NY.
[/SIZE]

Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM

EPD Daily Blotter – October 4th 2010 | RCENO.com (http://www.rceno.com/RCENO/featured/epd-daily-blotter-october-4th-2010/ - broken link)

Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden stuck View Post
[SIZE=2]Since no one else is getting back to you,
I am a dual resident of Plainfield NJ & Eden NC.
I own in Eden and the place I own will be no more since I made the mistake of buying in a part of Eden where drug addicts run rampant.
I grew up in Plainfield NJ which was an extremely high crime area and looked forward to my summers in Eden NC which was peaceful.
That has changed drastically.
Crime is also rampant. Every time I go there now something happens from vandalizism to robbery.So if you do not have allot of money to pay top dollar for a good part of town I would suggest staying in NY.
I have visited there (Upstate NY) and it is by far a better place.
[SIZE=2]Eden NC is 40% Ghetto.
Drug addicts everywhere stealing 24/7
If your place is vacant or you are away for a few nights and the place does not have booby traps you will come home to find your plumbing & wiring gone.
Police Night patrols are all at points of revenue like Communist check points leaving the town wide open for the druggies.
Too many low life families with their low life off-spring living off the tax dollars and STILL stealing anything they can get from the same people that are paying to keep them alive to begin with..
Police are a joke and only a couple of civilian patrols are allowing for the criminal disease to spread.
Car insurance moderate unless DWI charges.[/SIZE]

Car Registration is moderate also so long as you stay away from vanity plates.
Morehead hospital is one of the poorest. They just send you away to die somewhere else so it is not on their record.
If the way the children dress, speak,& act are a reflection of the education I can't say much for the schools either.
As it turns out I THOUGHT I was going to retire to Eden NC but I will probably end up dumping my homestead and hit the road in an RV.
As far as Eden NC,I do not feel I can go home again and wish I had went upsate NY.
[/SIZE]
Well, if you knew my area of the Hudson Valley-you'd not be running to put in a claim here. The FBI rates a city just 8 miles from me as one of the worst in the nation-they are thinking of putting in a FBI office due to the gang wars going on. And then you can have the property taxes that keep rising crazily-on a .29 acre with a 2000sqft cape-I am paying now over $5600 a year for taxes.

Being that our family is still around in NC, we had thought about returning to near where both my late Father(Danville, VA) and Mom grew up. So from what I a reading from you, since the mills have left-it's pretty much a depressed area. Shame too since I've heard how great it was at one time. Just trying to see where's a good place-figured I'd see about her old home town was worth researching to move to. Course being born there in 23' and leaving in 53' to now-huge difference.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up for your area. I would have been clueless. Seems you really have to research well now before acting.
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is and the fine print will break you.
Between a depression and a generation that models itself after gangs,prison population and embraced "ghetto" as a fasion statement I think I should just go mobile and see America before it is detroyed.
Of course these are the children of my 2 income, drug tolerant selfish "ME" generation so I should not have expected anything less.
I will end up just dumping my place.
Litterally, because if I lose no one gets to profit from my carcass.
I will implode the place 1st.
Preferably on the next group of thieves.
Good luck to you and yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point