U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 12,231 times

Advertisements

Thinking of making the move from Boston suburb to Kernersville Summerfield or Oak Ridge. We have 4 babies under the age of 4, so all the obvious are important, good schools, low crime, sense of community. Growing up in the Boston area we have neighborhoods, and I like that - the lack of sidewalks is not a deal breaker but it would be a big plus! Convenient shopping is a must - I am not interested in rural corn field living. Looking for a nice home, at least 4 bedrooms, about 1/2 acre, 325K max. We have visited the area, but we need the inside scoop. I want to know the things I cant read on the net or learn by staying in a local hotel. What separates these communities? pro's and con's? Any buyer beware tips or just good to know advice? Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 PM

7 posts, read 19,477 times
Kernersville may be what you're looking for although all three communities are minutes away from each other. The latter two being much smaller (I guess more "rural" to use your terminology) and in Guilford County (thus different school system). To be honest, and as much as it pains me to say it, a lot of Oak Ridge and Summerfield are becoming simply suburban, cookie-cutter housing developments. While that might be fine for transplants like yourself, it definitely takes away from the character these places have/had.

If you don't mind me asking....why the move? Following the rest of the northerners down south?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,621 times
Default relocating to the area also

I am moving next month for my job to the area and need to find a nice safe place to live with good, safe schools. I have 2 daughters, one in 6th grade and the other in 9th grade. My job is near the airport area. I have been looking at Kernersville or possibly Colfax. Could anyone tell me how they differ? Or is there somewhere else that would be better suited to our needs? We like a small city / large town atmosphere. Price range would be around a $1000/mo.

Thank you

Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 PM

I heard the school system in Oak Ridge is better, and shopping in Kernersville is better, but dont want to just listen to one perspective. We looked at a home in Kernersville and and felt like it was too rural, I want neighbors and a community and all we saw on our approach to the home was trailers and corn fields (I was told we were just on the outskirts, which may very well be true). If you know Boston at all - you know the best part of the realestate around here is the diversity in architecture. I have never lived in a subdivision nor do I know of any in my area - this would not be appealing. We live in a beautiful renovated Victorian farmhouse built in the 1800's so we are no stranger to century old charm. The reasons for our move are plenty, My husband has traveled while in the military and always loved the slower more polite way of life and more southern conservative values. The cost of living is much lower (especially considering the taxes) in addition my husband has a wonderful opportunity in Greensboro not to mention the wonderful mild 4 season weather that NC has to offer. Its strange so many people have sent me direct messages trying to talk us out of the move...Have not heard from many people with good things to say - I'M SHOCKED!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM

7 posts, read 19,477 times
It's a bit surprising to hear that you thought Kernersville was too rural...it's definitely not a metropolis by any means but it has a downtown (something both Oak Ridge and Summerfield lack) and is definitely growing but still retains its small town charm (check out Bill's and Leah's for some great hot dogs and the only sit-down Cookout in NC, I believe). I would have to agree with you about the better school system in Oak Ridge; your kids would most likely go to Oak Ridge Elementary and/or Northwest. Both schools tend to have predominately white kids from upper-middle to upper class families (as most families are that leave in Oak Ridge now) and are rarely the ones in the news for anything bad given their location out in the county. I think you may be overestimating the distance of Oak Ridge (and Summerfield) from Kernersville and Greensboro, though. Both are minutes away (as is Winston-Salem) and so shopping is not a problem if you were to live in Oak Ridge. I know this from experience as I grew up in Greensboro and my girlfriend in Oak Ridge....10 minutes on I-40 or Bryan Boulevard is all that separates the two.

To sum up, Oak Ridge may be what you're looking for. A lot of the developments are a bit of suburban sprawl but you can still find houses and land with charm....and most of all you're not going to be as "out in the country" as it might seem at first. Once you find your way around, you'll be fine.

As far as being talked out of living there....I won't lie. I love it in NC and the South generally and I think a lot of us natives are cringing to find so many Northerners moving down (with many subsequently complaining about how they feel things are down here).

Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the response really helpful and exactly some of the things I needed to know. Thanks for being honest about feeling a little unhappy about so many transplants. You are not the first to admit this is the climate in the area...but this is precisely why we want to come now while our children are young. Our hope is that the south will become the only home they know. Oak Ridge sounds nice, education is important to our family, so I would be willing to forgo a bigger house and other conveniences to ensure my kids are getting the best I can find for them. As far as whining about dislikes...I am the kind of person who feels like; If you don't love it, leave it. So I wont be sticking around to complain if its not for me. Hoping to be a welcomed addition to whatever community we choose to be a part of. We are friendly, traditional, family people who just want to be able offer our kids a better way of life. not looking for anything extravagant just want to blend in and breathe easier - I'm sure you can appreciate.
Thanks again so much for your help! Especially the tip on the hot dog place - we have a small hot dog diner in our town that our kids will really miss, I know it sounds silly but the fact one exists out there makes me smile for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point