U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 26,067 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Greensboro to teach at GTCC and will be using bus transit to both the Greensboro and Jamestown campus. Thanks to HEAT transit, it seems to be possible. I'd love to rent close to the Depot (234 E. Washington
St.) but I can't find a grocery store in the neighborhood or anywhere downtown. I'm not demanding Harris Teeter around the corner (sigh) but surely I won't be the only Greensboro resident who needs to buy groceries without a car! Sorry if I sound cranky; I'm really looking forward to relocating to such an appealing city.

Last edited by roberta3102; 07-02-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Typo corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 13,586 times
In short, Greensboro is not walkable. Non-drivers have my sympathy, as I hate that aspect of this city.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-18-2007 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM

14 posts, read 86,522 times
Default Depot

There are is a Food Lion and a Harris-Teeter at the Golden-Gate Shopping Center on the GTA #3 North Elm bus line. Buses run about every 30 minutes. This shopping center is about 3 miles north of the Depot at Elm and Golden Gate. There's a SMALL pedestrian friendly area on State Street nearby where you can get a slice of pizza at Napoli's, have a coffee on the back patio at Carolina Coffee and Tea, or get a massage at Kneaded Energy. If you did your shopping on Saturdays you could make an afternoon of it.

There is an insanely large Harris-Teeter on the #7 line at Friendly Center Shoppes. Us bus riders are annoyed because the grocery store used to be right next to the bus stop, but now you have to schlep through shops and a large parking lot to get to it.

The lack of a supermarket downtown is a topic that is frequently discussed. With Southside and all of the new apartments and condos, there should be enough demand soon. I ride the bus to work in NW Greensboro and can assure you many people in Greensboro grocery shop using the bus. The people with cars think it is impossible, but it is not. You just have to plan. It will be WONDERFUL when there is shopping in downtown.

There are some condos and rentals along North Elm Street (Fisher Park area to Golden Gate) that are convenient to the Depot (a long walk with nice sidewalks or short bus ride) and grocery shopping. You might want to check out that area too.

Last edited by Greensburger; 07-18-2007 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: incorrect miles given

Old 07-29-2007, 09:40 AM

257 posts, read 995,570 times
Roberta..........do the opposite and you will be set. Live across from GTCC campus in Jamestown and live in the Yorkleigh apts, walking distance. You can then walk to the grocery store/fitness centers/banks/resteraunts/library all within 5miles or so of the campus....Then u can take the bus to the Greensboro campus! Besides that the rent will be much more affordable. I see alot of students doing this, and in the other direction they just opened a big new YMCA with all the recreation you could want.....including a pool. Oh and there is also a really nice park in Jamestown next to apartments on the lake, and there is a pool there also. Walkeable and bikeable. Although the park would be a little longer walk from Yorkleigh. You could also rent those apartments.

Last edited by Putty; 07-29-2007 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: missed words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point