U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:33 PM

9 posts, read 18,185 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my family to the Winston Salem area next year for work. I am trying to get a different take on a common question. How do people see these towns? These are the towns that we saw as possible new homes, but we have only looked on line (visiting in a week or two).

Clemmons, Kernersville, Lewisville

For example, Cary, NC is seen as Yankee relocation land ... others that I have heard to describe towns are wealthy, Snobby, a MiniVan Soccer Mom town, Blue Collar, Traditional but not warm to outsiders, extremely warm and friendly, diverse or eclectic, artsy ...

I don't know if this will work, and I am not trying to start any fights, but I wanted to see if people agreed. I have been places where everyone has the same impression and others that are so transient and filled with people from somewhere else that there is no character that people can agree on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
I am by no means an expert since I have only lived in the area 4 1/2 years, but I think all 3 cities are known for being family friendly. Kernersville is in the middle of Greensboro and Winston-Salem, so it is a great location for many commuters. I personally find it the least appealing of the 3 cities because it felt kind of generic to me. Clemmons is known for being safe, good schools and a desirable area for people who don't like urban living but work in W-S. Lewisville is a more rural, less expensive version of Clemmons. They seem to be blending together. I doubt you will regret either 3 cities, but I personally would chose Clemmons or Lewisville. Kernersville always seems nice when I need to do things in Greensboro though!! To be honest, I wished we would have rented first before we bought a house based on just 1 week visiting. If find myself driving a lot because of it!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Great response enlightenme! Where did you end up buying?

I hope to hear from more people as well.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:35 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
I live in Clemmons, so I'll give you my perhaps biased perspective. I agree with enlightenme about the "family-friendliness" of Clemmons/Lewisville, and I would say the same about K-ville although I don't know from personal experience. Clemmons and Lewisville are both very much "bedroom communities" for Winston-Salem. On a daily basis there's not a whole lot going on in the "downtown" areas of either place (although the "action" of downtown Winston-Salem is but a short drive away.) I prefer Lewisville's "downtown" mainly because of the square--Clemmons doesn't have a similar facility in town. But we have Tanglewood Park, which makes up for a lot of what the town itself may lack.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the above choices though. The feel of all three towns is really not that different IMO.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs3 View Post
Great response enlightenme! Where did you end up buying?

I hope to hear from more people as well.
I ended up in a nice area, but everything is about a 10+ drive for me. I am in North Davidson county about 5 miles from south W-S. Depending on where you live your address comes up either Clemmons or Lexington. I live my life completely in W-S, so I wish I ended up closer to town. We were drawn to the low taxes, large yards and great schools. The internet and our 1 week visit steered us in that direction. However, after less than a year of day to day to living we realized we would have been better off in the north end of W-S. It isn't the easiest or smartest time for us to be selling a house to move 10-15 miles closer. We have it good, so I am just going to suck it up and keep driving....I try to not do the "if only we did this" regret game in our situation, but I seriously think if you can stand renting first you will probably end up happier in the long run. My friends did it that way and they ended up in the perfect fit of a house for their family - for a good price too!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the details and advice. I agree that renting first would allow us to make a more informed choice. I am not sure how our relocation package would treat this, but I would guess that we would lose out on some $. I also worry about moving twice and changing schools, but I can definitely appreciate what you are saying about not knowing where you would really like to live until after you had been in a place for a while.

Would you say that these towns lack personality? That is something people say about a lot of suburbs.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 29,144 times
Dear jjs3.....where did you end up at? We are looking at the same areas for summer 2012 and would like a welcoming area that accepts outsiders.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 18,000 times
I have been looking at these same communities, so this is really helpful. We have an almost-first-grader and a preschooler.

I am curious about the driving-to-Greensboro part though. Do people do that a lot? What is there in Greensboro that you can't get in Winston-Salem?

Also, what about Pfafftown? Any thoughts on that area? (And how do you pronounce "Pfafftown" anyway??)

Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMovein2011 View Post
I have been looking at these same communities, so this is really helpful. We have an almost-first-grader and a preschooler.

I am curious about the driving-to-Greensboro part though. Do people do that a lot? What is there in Greensboro that you can't get in Winston-Salem?

Also, what about Pfafftown? Any thoughts on that area? (And how do you pronounce "Pfafftown" anyway??)
No particular reason to drive to Greensboro, other than the fact that it offers more options close by. We sometimes drive over just to eat dinner, maybe hit a bar or two, but you certainly can do that in WS as well. It's not like you'll have to go there for anything, but it's nice to have nearby for a change of pace. Also, the Greensboro Coliseum often has worthwhile events.

It's pronounced "poff-town"--first p is silent.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM

700 posts, read 1,435,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMovein2011 View Post

You pronounced it right. It is an rural area once you get out of the city part. no much to do. Have to run to Winston. As for the drive. I am sure so do. It will take about 20 mins or so from the middle of W-S (Hwy 52/Bus I-40). A few more stores, farmers market, airport, few more eating places. That's about it about the same just a little larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point