Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,911 times

Advertisements

Say NO to Bigotry in Winston-Salem Schools | Facebook

It’s a year of anti-incumbency. All across the nation, conservatives and Tea Partiers are pushing to oust any and all incumbents who haven’t stuck to their hard-core anti-establishment, anti-immigrant, anti-working class, anti-gay, anti-[fill in the blank] agenda.

Yet, in Winston-Salem, N.C., there’s a different kind of anti-incumbent fever sweeping through the races for the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of Education.

Here at my site, I’ve documented over-and-over, time-and-time again the outrageous anti-gay zealotry and bigotry exhibited by members of this board. As an alumnus of their district (RJRHS ’04), I know first-hand the effects of this board’s inaction. In high school, I joined with local advocates in attempting to persuade these people to do something about the rampant anti-gay harassment and bullying in their schools. Their response was nothing short of jaw-dropping: board members either treated us with silence and a cold shoulder, or others chose to make purely hateful, anti-gay comments all of which are recorded and documented by area media. Pam and her host of Blend baristas have also become attuned to not only the words, actions and beliefs of America’s religious right, but also of those in this state and in Winston-Salem.

The board of education there is overwhelmingly composed of incumbents who’ve had their seats for almost a decade or longer. In the same amount of time, local advocates’ pushes to get the board to do anything at all to protect LGBT students went no where. And, after all that time, the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of Education was ultimately forced to protect LGBT students when the state legislature passed the School Violence Prevention Act in 2009. Yet, board members there continue to ignore real problems. They might have an inclusive policy, but that doesn’t mean its being enforced.

Longtime advocate Janet Joyner, a former five-year member of the State Department of Education’s Safe Schools Advisory Board, is circulating an in-depth history of the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of Education’s anti-LGBT actions. The document, which you can read after the job, is extraordinary. That any school official, elected or otherwise, would go to such amazing lengths not to protect students boggles the mind and chills to the bone.

The board of education is being reelected, finally, on non-partisan tickets. Joyner and a host of other advocates are hoping the non-partisan races will give them a chance to defeat longtime, anti-LGBT incumbents.

I encourage you click on past the jump and read Joyner’s history below. It’s a shocker, and all the proof anyone needs to vote against every incumbent on this board of education on Tuesday.

READ MORE:
Just say NO: Vote out anti-gay WSFCS board members on 11/02/2010 · InterstateQ.com

TAKE THE PLEDGE and LIKE THE PAGE, SPREAD THE WORD:
Say No to Bigotry in WSFCS Schools
Say NO to Bigotry in Winston-Salem Schools | Facebook

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs974.snc4/76702_126232544100749_126219120768758_158219_35350 32_n.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 8,280 times
Default God loves us all

I am a christian, but I think it is wrong for you to judge homosextuals . God loves us all. I am just tired of all the racism and discrimination going on in Winston Salem schools and colleges.We need to do better.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 PM

164 posts, read 357,698 times
What an awful person that Jeannie Metcalf is

Old 11-01-2010, 05:02 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Dude...don't hold back now, please tell us how you really feel!!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:48 AM

164 posts, read 357,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Dude...don't hold back now, please tell us how you really feel!!

Well to compare a gay person to someone who rapes and murders is downright wrong.

And to promote making fun of gays (while sitting on a school board) is rotten. She should be dragged over the coals on the evening news for something so awful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point