U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 AM

71 posts, read 209,880 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody:

I have heard time and time again on not only this forum but other forums that Greensboro is boring(hence the name Greensboring). Now is this really true? I have been to Greensboro a few times and it seemed okay. I know there are a whole bunch of strip clubs in Greensboro for a fact(I can't tell you how I know wink wink) and I heard that downtown is lively on friday and saturday nights. I plan on going down there one friday or saturday just to see if downtown is really jumping like that. But to everybody on this forum I ask one question: Is Greensboro really boring for people who live there or have I just been hearing a bunch of lies?

Please let me know

Old 11-03-2010, 11:29 AM

320 posts, read 460,562 times
I just moved here in August. There are things to do and places to hang out in Greensboring lol. Its a matter of getting out there and doing it. Since this is a college town, I haven't ventured downtown on Fri/ Sat night since the last time I did I encountered droves of young people, mostly scantily clad women lol. I went out downtown WS and it was cool - the bars/lounges had music and lots of people.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
Is Greensboro really that boring?

Only if you have no imagination or, are agoraphobic; There are museums, the battleground park, quite a few art galleries, Universities, Colleges each playing various sports, local baseball team, live theatre, movies, a local community college that offers classes in various art forms, you could always drive to Mebane and eat at "La Cocina" if you like really good Mexican food. You have a wide variety of options, all ya gotta do is look. The coffee shop on Tate St is always good for a conversation and a good cup of coffee. Did I mention various bars w/live music??

Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 PM

58 posts, read 170,213 times
I thought I would never do it....but I did, after living in Greensboro for 3 years.....since 2007, I sold my nice new beautiful home in Aug 2010 (thank goodness, loss money) and moved back North to New Jersey. I am happy to have a decent salary once again and my kids ages 9 & 22 are happier here. Greensboro is a beautiful place to live but definitely too slow for me. I will consider retirement there when I reach 80.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 PM

716 posts, read 1,525,083 times
Greensboro is the best of both worlds....you have tons of great restaurants, lots of local entertainment, great weather, proximity to beach and mountains....and you don't deal with the traffic that you see in Raleigh and Charlotte.

Love it here. (New Jersey? You think New Jersey is better than Greensboro? Wow.)

Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 AM

320 posts, read 460,562 times
Cost of living is definitely better than NJ... and Gboro is so close to so many other NC and southern cities I don't see why you would feel its such a bad place to live. I'm a northerner and though I love the liveliness of a big city, I also see the drawbacks of it. I doubt I will ever move back up north, aside from the cold and snow that I ran away from, I'd rather use my savings from a lower COL in any southern city and travel the world... just one northerner's opinion...

Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLuce View Post
Cost of living is definitely better than NJ... and Gboro is so close to so many other NC and southern cities I don't see why you would feel its such a bad place to live. I'm a northerner and though I love the liveliness of a big city, I also see the drawbacks of it. I doubt I will ever move back up north, aside from the cold and snow that I ran away from, I'd rather use my savings from a lower COL in any southern city and travel the world... just one northerner's opinion...

Welcome home neighbor!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,507,884 times
Greensboro like many cities has alot of nicknames, some good some not so good. GREENsboro because it is lush and green for a good part of the year. GAYsboro , well like any city, GreensBORING was common until they revitalized the downtown area some years back. I think it is what you make it. Enough to do for college students as well as families. JMO

Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,875,450 times
The OP's question is a matter of opinion so there's no right or wrong answer so I wouldn't characterize it as a "lie" to say Greensboro is boring. The nightlife isn't much in my opinion, but it's not bad. If I were a single bachelor and I had a choice, would I choose Greensboro over Atlanta or DC? Hell no!!! But I wouldn't be totally opposed to living there as a single bachelor. My problem is that the Triad doesn't seem to have a large enough base of young professionals. The nightclubs are populated with kids in their late teens and early 20's. Greensboro is great if you're married with kids because parents don't have the opportunity to go out much, anyway.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
The OP's question is a matter of opinion so there's no right or wrong answer so I wouldn't characterize it as a "lie" to say Greensboro is boring. The nightlife isn't much in my opinion, but it's not bad. If I were a single bachelor and I had a choice, would I choose Greensboro over Atlanta or DC? Hell no!!! But I wouldn't be totally opposed to living there as a single bachelor. My problem is that the Triad doesn't seem to have a large enough base of young professionals. The nightclubs are populated with kids in their late teens and early 20's. Greensboro is great if you're married with kids because parents don't have the opportunity to go out much, anyway.
Apples to oranges; the city of Atlanta population is almost that of the entire county of Guilford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point