U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM

22 posts, read 54,145 times

Advertisements

No, that murder was a totally random thing! I have been here two years and have never heard of a single crime at all! I don't lock my car or my house, and while I probably should, I just don't worry about it. I could walk around here at 2 am with no worries. That murder happening was a fluke, and mostly because the restaraunt is right on I-40. They figure the suspect came from Winston Salem or somewhere and chose it for the easy getaway.

To give you an idea of what it's like here, if I forget my wallet I can still pump my gas and run the money by later. People leave tables of tomatoes from their garden out in the summer, and you just pull up, grab your tomatoes, and leave money in the basket. It is growing fast, but crime is definitely not an issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,188,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb1211 View Post
Any input would be great, as I have two young children to consider when deciding to move.
*exasperation*
I don't play the Kid Card. Considerations such as crime have a bearing on everyone.

Davie does have its share of crime. Don't let its small town, Mayberry atmosphere fool you. You can read the paper online to get news blurbs The Enterprise Record If you want to gauge some of the latest incidents, check this archive The Enterprise Record

However, Davie County is smaller in geographic size than other counties (not the smallest, I think mm34b left a list floating around that indicates square mileage) and has a larger native-to-transplant ratio, at this time. When bad things happen, the connectivity you see between people around here keeps the incident in front of minds. Unlike someplace like .. oh Charlotte .. where crime is numbers; people scan the police blotter of the paper, shake their heads in dismay at "how bad crime is around here", finish their Starbucks and head off to work; around here a murder is talked about in the beauty shop. While clipping hair, the stylist might say something along the line of the victim being "the cousin of Mrs. Hardy's sister-in-law. I do her hair every two weeks. That family sure is broke up about it. I'm making a pot of beans to take over to her." That sort of thing. Crime seems bigger because its affect spreads out among the community.

Tangent: back TO the Kid Thing. You might want to scrutinize the school situation. So far, the increase in transplant population seems to have been handled well in the lower grades. A new middle school opened this year just south of Advance on 801. The success of that project was helped by the donation of 40 acres by the man for whom the school is named. The elementary school on 601 heading toward Yadkin County was enlarged. The high school situation is a shambles. One high school for the county, overcrowded and badly in need of updating, and several initiatives to obtain funds have been roundly trounced. Just this week both options put to the ballot: a land transfer tax or increase in sales tax, got thumped.

Disclaimer: my opinion only. Talking to the people (at the beauty shop ) who voted against those ideas, along with a bond initiative voted down - for the second time - back in May, if an assurance of equity was made about the second high school, the people who voted against it (mostly natives and long time residents in the southern/western side of the county) would be more amenable to any ideas to raise money to relieve crowding. The things I hear ... Since the new HS will be in the more affluent, eastern side of the county, the old one will get short shrift. Rumors: the majority of athletic programs will move there, the new HS will be more up-to-date and the old one will see programs aimed at vocational/technical studies. After all, "the poorer county kids; the ones from Coolemee" will be going to the old HS, what need will they have of the fancy stuff? Just a LOT of resentment from people living in the "not-Bermuda Run" side of the county.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:04 AM

9 posts, read 23,829 times
Thanks for the input.
I have done a good amount of research and the school stuff is scary as well in regards to overcrowding. Neither of my children are old enough to be in school as of yet. My full reason for considering a move is we have enough equity in our MD home to buy a nicer home there with more property and I could be a stay at home mom. I currently work full time.

I, however, don't want to do anything that would hurt my children in the long run...so I'm doing what I can to educate myself about everything.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times
Default Moving to Mocksville Area

We have just moved to Davie County (Bermuda Run) with two small children and can say that the school situation did concern me as well. My children are a few years from high school but there were several factors that ultimately led to our being here.

1. Even though they are still working out the high school situation, like an earlier post said, the elementary schools are excellent and they are considering reorganizing those schools to include 9th grade. Even if I had to send my kids to private school, it would only be for three years.

2. They do have a program called Early College where students who excel can participate and graduate with 2 years of college under their belt.

3. With regards to crime, I came from a neighborhood where I did not lock my doors at night and I am happy to say nothing has changed.

4. With regards to property and/or resale - while I hope to be buried in my backyard, the new hospital really makes it a very attractive area to move to. I look forward to being able to drive a couple of miles to go the hospital if necessary and it definitely makes me feel safer that we'll have urgent care so close.

5. With regards to another high school, I believe it will be a reality within a short period of time. With the increasing tax base as well as the addition of the hospital, it will not only be necessary but the money will also be available.

6. Just a note on the haves/have not competition. I was appalled to read all the posts on the east vs. the west, Bermudarun-ites and all kinds of derogatory names hurled at people who make the choice to live in Bermuda Run. I can tell you that I have found the friendliest neighbors, and have my hand out permanently waving high to passersby when I am outside of my home or take my morning walk. People choose to live here in part because it boasts simply beautiful scenery and provides complete peace of mind with its own security. That coupled with it's close proximity to the highway, restaurants and even new gym opening within 2 miles makes it a great place to live and everyday I am glad that I made that decision. To suggest that people are "snobby" (as one of my daughter's new friends told her about people who lived in Bermuda Run before she realized that my daughter was one of the offenders) because of their perceived financial status is shameful and I would call upon all residents to judge each individual based on their deeds, not the size of their homes. This negative attitude toward one section of town is heard loud and clear by our children and can not possibly lead to any good.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 AM

9 posts, read 23,829 times
Thank you for your additional input! I have read a lot of good things about the Elementary and Middle Schools, so hopefully the High Schools will follow suit soon

Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,743 times
HI:
I found a great Relator (in no way, high pressure, just a great all around guy) in Mocksville.
Has been wonderful and the most helpful person. I live in Ohio and was searching for a new place to relocate and found Mocksville and this guy. A God thing.
If you want his name and number, let me know.
Bakon

Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 758 times
Default Mocksville Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
Hi,
Can anyone who lives or is familiar with Mocksville give me any advice with the area in general ? We are looking for a somewhat rural area to retire, but within reasonable distances to good medical facilities. I was just looking at a new house located in Colonial Estates, is antone familiar with that particular development. Any recommendations, pro's and con's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
Hello Bill, I have lived in Mocksville since 1994. I am also a licensed Real Estate Agent. I will be happy to assist you in researching a possible home site. If you do not send a return, I will not bring the subject again.

Regards, Bill F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point