U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2014, 09:54 AM
 
240 posts, read 225,618 times
Reputation: 275

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarjai View Post
OMG, if what the original inquirer called "diversity" is what they think, Lord forgive them AND their poor offspring who will grow up thinking the same way.

I am looking for diversity. What I mean is where there is a real mix of people of different races, religions, cultures and interests. I an no more interested in liquor store robberies at my back door and the like than the next sane property owner. WHO would be if they had a choice???

Can anyone tell me if I will likely find my version of diversity in Greensboro. I have never lived in the south - I am from the mid-West. I am intersted in moving south only because of the climate and lower cost of living. Frankly, I FEAR/and dislike with a passion that old southern white mentality. The comments above have scared me into thinking I may be happier to the far north. I was considering Greensboro because it has two universities. Usually, university, college towns have a bit more to do and SENSE of the world. I would deeply appreciate anyone's feedback. My husband and I have lived in SE Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. We are hoping to live around or near people that represent these parts of the world.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, Greensboro is pretty diverse considering its size and location. I'm a native of Winston-Salem and I can tell you that it hands down beats Winston in diversity although it's not much larger population-wise. I think the history with the Kohn (Jewish) family mills, the Quaker abolitionist heritage and the fact that there's a large public university in the area add a slight progressiveness and diversity that most Southern towns lack. The sit-ins in the 1960s and the famous Greensboro Four were all NC A&T University students.

Also, I had an old guy friend I used to crash with on the weekends and was there constantly. It feels like a bigger city than Winston and I heard in one of my grad school orientations (UNCG student) that it was one of the most diverse areas. I saw my first Caribbean restaurant there. They also have Middle Eastern and Ethiopian cuisine, you can't find that in Winston. It's the only place to live if you're coming to the Triad. It's got crime, but nothing too crazy. I can't say you won't run into that redneck mentality here and there, but it doesn't encompass the culture of the town like it does in other areas. I loved being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2014, 10:01 AM
 
240 posts, read 225,618 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by simivally View Post
I realize its an old post, but I alwasy find it funny people assume Ghettoness , is based on diversity . As somoene who is pretty well traveled. I too have lived in denver, where yes , 280-300 will get you a nice place to live, its not so much diversity, its level of income. if you want to have a great place to live, guess what, so does everyone else, so , pay more. basically it comes down to this, I live in greensboro now. in a VERY diverse neighborhood, many races, its a nice neghbhood too. houses are about 170 to sub 250. ( and that was during the periods of low house vaules, so we can only hope it goes up)
I do find it funny how people like to compare totally different ends of the income specturm when comparing diversity . people bring up areas like summerville and oakridge, 2 places that are predominatly white, and, predomitny higher levels of home values. Then they try to compare it to places that have mostly minorities and VERY low home values. next time if someone wants to live somewhere based on race, be fair. tell them to move to reidsville or even eden, or a trailer park, which are primarily whites, and VERY low income.
OMG, yes! Good Lord, it never ceases to amaze me how sheltered some people really are. It's like every person that they've known in life, no matter how well-traveled they say they are, were all exactly like themselves. It's sad, really. Diversity to them is automatically Black/Brown people and crime, like the two are totally synonymous. It's absurd and truly pitiful! Everybody knows that crime and poverty and bed fellows. I've known and grown up around working poor White folks and they have the exact same issues and use just as much if not more in government assistance. If you watch the news, that's the perspective you won't see, but it's all too real. It's not about race, religion, etc. it's about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 12:38 PM
 
7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
I think the history with the Kohn (Jewish) family mills
It's "Cone." And besides the Cones, there are many other Jewish families in Greensboro, and several well-established Jewish schools. That's something that surprises a lot of people.

Quote:
the fact that there's a large public university in the area add a slight progressiveness and diversity that most Southern towns lack.
Two, actually, essentially bookending the downtown area. Again, a lot of people not from the area don't know that.

I agree with you that Greensboro is far more diverse and progressive than a lot of people know, though I also think you might be selling Winston just a little bit short. Where I live (Ardmore) is pretty diverse and close to some of the types of restaurants you mentioned, and between the medical community and the arts presence, there's a fairly wide variety there that didn't exist a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 02:09 PM
 
240 posts, read 225,618 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It's "Cone." And besides the Cones, there are many other Jewish families in Greensboro, and several well-established Jewish schools. That's something that surprises a lot of people.



Two, actually, essentially bookending the downtown area. Again, a lot of people not from the area don't know that.

I agree with you that Greensboro is far more diverse and progressive than a lot of people know, though I also think you might be selling Winston just a little bit short. Where I live (Ardmore) is pretty diverse and close to some of the types of restaurants you mentioned, and between the medical community and the arts presence, there's a fairly wide variety there that didn't exist a few years ago.
I think like many Jewish and/or immigrant families, the original spelling of their surname was Anglicized for assimilation purposes. Yes, I agree. I'm friends with a 60+ year old native of Greensboro and she's filled me in on a lot of the city's history.

Yeah, I think both of those facts surprise many people about Greensboro. I'm a Winston-Salem native and know this town's history better than most. There is a much stronger arts presence than when I grew up in the 80s and 90s. However, most of the international cuisine establishments have been in business for less than a decade. And from my perspective, although things have improved, there's no way that Winston feels as inclusive and diverse as Greensboro does. It's improved some for sure, but I still feel as though the "old guard" provincial elite still run things around here. If you don't network in those circles, there's really not much here for you in the way of quality of life and/or professional advancement. Being employed at multiple libraries in the area has given me a unique perspective because I've interacted with many kinds of people with diverse backgrounds. We can agree to disagree on the finer points of Winston. It's not perfect, but then again, no place is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 09:11 PM
 
Location: North Greensboro
815 posts, read 1,009,600 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
Yes, Greensboro is pretty diverse considering its size and location. I'm a native of Winston-Salem and I can tell you that it hands down beats Winston in diversity although it's not much larger population-wise. I think the history with the Kohn (Jewish) family mills, the Quaker abolitionist heritage and the fact that there's a large public university in the area add a slight progressiveness and diversity that most Southern towns lack. The sit-ins in the 1960s and the famous Greensboro Four were all NC A&T University students.

Also, I had an old guy friend I used to crash with on the weekends and was there constantly. It feels like a bigger city than Winston and I heard in one of my grad school orientations (UNCG student) that it was one of the most diverse areas. I saw my first Caribbean restaurant there. They also have Middle Eastern and Ethiopian cuisine, you can't find that in Winston. It's the only place to live if you're coming to the Triad. It's got crime, but nothing too crazy. I can't say you won't run into that redneck mentality here and there, but it doesn't encompass the culture of the town like it does in other areas. I loved being there.
there were actually 42,731 more people in Greensboro than W-S in 2012 reference wise, who knows what that number could be now, Keep in mind Greensboro went through EXTREMELY heavy annexation. So it was not really "that" organic.

Land wise, Greensboro is much larger,it's urban, but alot more rural once you leave the city center and main roads, think of the sticks, Now throw in a bunch of office parks and random neighborhoods, While W-S is smaller, but more urban in and surrounding the edges of town.


Both are still going through urban sprawl though.

Now as for which one is more diverse...

Last edited by GSOCitizen; 09-10-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 AM
 
7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
I think like many Jewish and/or immigrant families, the original spelling of their surname was Anglicized for assimilation purposes. Yes, I agree. I'm friends with a 60+ year old native of Greensboro and she's filled me in on a lot of the city's history.
It was Americanized from Kahn, which itself was a Germanized form of Cohen. (As if it matters. It's weird that I even know that.)

Quote:
Yeah, I think both of those facts surprise many people about Greensboro. I'm a Winston-Salem native and know this town's history better than most. There is a much stronger arts presence than when I grew up in the 80s and 90s. However, most of the international cuisine establishments have been in business for less than a decade. And from my perspective, although things have improved, there's no way that Winston feels as inclusive and diverse as Greensboro does. It's improved some for sure, but I still feel as though the "old guard" provincial elite still run things around here. If you don't network in those circles, there's really not much here for you in the way of quality of life and/or professional advancement. Being employed at multiple libraries in the area has given me a unique perspective because I've interacted with many kinds of people with diverse backgrounds. We can agree to disagree on the finer points of Winston. It's not perfect, but then again, no place is.
I understand where you're coming from. And we can definitely agree to disagree, because my main exposure to Winston is through the hospitals (the boards of which have some element of Boys Club atmosphere I'm sure, but the day-to-day operations are driven by transplants and are very diverse) and my main exposure to Greensboro is through charitable foundations and other old guard institutions, so its clear that our respective interactions have peppered our views of the two cities. I'm also not from either, so my interaction with each doesn't go back more than a half decade, and that certainly colors my views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
 
Location: North Greensboro
815 posts, read 1,009,600 times
Reputation: 302
Ok i changed my mind, GSO is DEFINITELY more diverse, but that's not always a "good" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 09:50 AM
 
16 posts, read 20,381 times
Reputation: 26
If you don't want to go to the grocery store and see folks paying with food stamps I suggest moving anywhere else but the Triad.....you will for sure be able to find a 'non'diverse' neighborhood that would work for you, but you need to be prepared to be surrounded by poverty and ghettos. Winston Salem for example you must avoid half the entire city. Also the further out you go in certain areas will definitely lack diversity but would only work for you if you really like rednecks. Class divides in the Triad are intense and crime is much higher than other areas. If you are seeking to escape being around ghettos I sincerely recommend you look elsewhere in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top