Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,680 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We're considering a move to the Triad area in October and are hoping people wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

First, we're twenty-something professionals with graduate degrees, no kids at present time but plan to start soon. We'd like to buy on one income, so are looking to spend between $175-$225. We must have at least 3/2, a two car garage and would like a minimum of 1/4 acre lot size. School quality is also very important.

We've lived in D.C., Texas, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona. We currently live in Denver, in a very diverse development called Stapleton, and are looking to get as far away from the congested urban lifestyle as possible. We're sick of the West! Within our neighborhood, single-family homes range from $280k to $1.5 million. However, it's surrounded by a pretty dangerous area. I'm tired of going to a grocery store where people pay with foodstamps, tired of the liquor stores being robbed, tired of "ghetto" cars speeding through our neighborhood with systems blaring...you get the idea. So, if this is diversity, then we don't want it!

Now that you know the background and what we're looking for (and looking to avoid), where in the Triad can we find areas with the least possible amount of diversity? This obviously isn't a question realtors will answer, and we're not trying to offend anyone, but we really want a "soccer mom" kind of suburban lifestyle.

We'll be visiting the area in the next month are so, and hope people can point us in the right direction to find what we're looking for. When we visited the area last year, we liked Clemmons and Kernersville. However, we've also heard good things about Rural Hall, Lewisville, Oak Ridge, Summerfield and Walnut Grove.

We're also slightly conderned about all the new developments in Kernersville, since it seems like resale might be an issue with all the tract homes on the market. Does this seem like a valid concern?

Is overbuilding in any other areas an issue?

Can anyone weigh in on the above-mentioned areas? Or if there are other areas we should be considering, that would be nice to know!

Finally, can anyone recommend a realtor with whom they've had a great experience when trying to buy while out of state?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you're able to provide!

Last edited by LeavingCO; 07-07-2007 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
Oak Ridge, Summerfield and Stokesdale sound like what you're looking for. There are nice homes there and not a lot of people. Yet. Oak Ridge is growing faster than the other two, but is still nice and not nearly as crowded or diverse as Greensboro.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:04 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
Thumbs up Best Wishes...

It's really difficult to believe people actually "Seek" the diversity that you and other good people want to escape at all costs...

Old 07-08-2007, 09:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
http://pics.city-data.com/craces/15677.png (broken link)
http://pics.city-data.com/craces/15683.png (broken link)
http://pics.city-data.com/craces/15263.png (broken link)

Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 AM

222 posts, read 936,282 times
I sent you a PM.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:26 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
Moderator cut: comments orphaned because previous posts being reponded to have been removed

Now, lets start over, okay? I also grew up in DC area and have lived in a lot of different "urban" places, but finally realized that with our kids, we're not urban people anymore so we moved to the suburbs and love it, which is how you're feeling but the way you put it sounded funny to me. I'm sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention, I apologize.

Anyway, I think you'd enjoy Summerfield, Browns Summit or Oak Ridge areas north of Greensboro, check out these communities when you go visit. Good luck!

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-09-2007 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Better to discuss personal issues/disagreements pertaining to posts by PM. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 23,463 times
I live very close to summerfield and I really like the area. I don't know to much about the other areas. I think the closer your get to the city, and neighborhoods with cheaper housing, the closer your get to "diversity." I think the advice here is very good. Good luck with your search

Old 07-10-2007, 09:04 AM

56 posts, read 157,422 times
Question:Is is NOT possible for places to be diverse yet not "ghetto"?

Old 07-15-2007, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 43,715 times
i would suggest not coming to the triad area...it's what you would call very diverse and yes there are ghettos here that are very hard to get away from. We live out in the county, and the city, with the ghettos, are expanding and they are getting closer to our farm. It bothers me too and i'm not sorry to say it. your best bet is to stay in the counties outside of the triad. The more country setting...like randolph, davison, or montgomery counties have low diversity. I think someone showed a pie graph about denton being the less diverse. THat is true. And the countryside is quieter, less crime, less diversity, NO ghettos...i personally don't like country because i'm not a very woods and outdoors person, but i would live anywhere but here that didn't have slums and trash.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum1021 View Post
i would suggest not coming to the triad area...it's what you would call very diverse and yes there are ghettos here that are very hard to get away from. We live out in the county, and the city, with the ghettos, are expanding and they are getting closer to our farm. It bothers me too and i'm not sorry to say it. your best bet is to stay in the counties outside of the triad. The more country setting...like randolph, davison, or montgomery counties have low diversity. I think someone showed a pie graph about denton being the less diverse. THat is true. And the countryside is quieter, less crime, less diversity, NO ghettos...i personally don't like country because i'm not a very woods and outdoors person, but i would live anywhere but here that didn't have slums and trash.
You are trying label that diverse areas are ghetto and that is far from the truth.
Also there are nice mix race neighborhoods all thru the triad.
You also cannot label a whole county as lack of diversity either.

Randolph county diversity.
diverse cities
http://pics.city-data.com/craces/15133.png (broken link)

it wouild be better to say look into trinity, seagrove, or archdale

Davidson County the correct way to spell that county.
http://pics.city-data.com/craces/15440.png (broken link)

http://pics.city-data.com/craces/15696.png (broken link)

It would be better to clarify look into Denton, Welcome or Linwood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point