U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:33 PM

183 posts, read 511,816 times

Advertisements

We may be building a custom home, and they look like an outstanding option for the price and quality....any opinions on them?
Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
I did see a thing on Rip Off report about them...

Rip Off Report: Schumacher Homes ripoff Awful Customer Service, Won't Return Calls, Always 'in meeting' AFTER we signed contract MAKES NO EFFORT TO SATISFY THE CUSTOMER OR RECTIFY THE PROBLEM Canton And Akron Ohio

but it isn't recent, and seems to be an isolated incident. I am not as familiar with the big tract builders as the indy ones in this area. Usually a local builder has a little more at stake if something is wrong.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 AM

33 posts, read 98,322 times
Smile Shugart Enterprises

Has anyone dealt with Shugart EnterPrises for building a home?

Good , bad ???

Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 AM

27 posts, read 122,473 times
I have not dealt with them personally, but I've heard mixed things about Shugart. The price per sq. ft. is relatively low, however, the quality, craftsmanship and building materials may not be the best.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:54 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,661,069 times
I've only been through a few of their open houses, and it's been a while back, but I have the same impression as the other poster. I don't think they're bad builders; my impression is run-of-the-mill tract builders. If they have a development or spec house in an area you really like, I'd at least do my due diligence. I don't think I would pick them as my custom builder.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 29,500 times
Well first of all there is nothing "custom" about Shugart. They build cookie cutter homes and neighborhoods. That being said... my sister bought a Shugart home and has had no problems and really likes her place. It's nice and she's added a few things along the way.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:52 AM

247 posts, read 916,673 times
Like the others, I haven't heard anything good nor bad. However when we decided to build a home we didn't chose them. When went to some of their homes and they felt very cheaply made.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:32 PM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
Default about average

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChronowitz View Post
Has anyone dealt with Shugart EnterPrises for building a home?

Good , bad ???
They're about average- just make sure you a) have a buyer's agent representative because it costs you nothing to have representation, and b) get a home inspection, because even if everything has passed city/county inspections that doesn't mean it was done properly. And if a builder says that something meets Code Requirements, that means that they did just the MINIMUM to pass. Again, if it is up to "code" that doesn't mean it is quality- it just means it met the minimum standards to pass. It's pass/fail, so that means it could be a 95 (A) or 71 (D)!

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 11,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lah1nc View Post
I bought one of their model homes in Ohio... nothing but TROUBLE! After a 1 1/2 years, we started having trouble. We found out that the front door was never attached, the vinyl flooring shrunk about 5 inches from our cabinets, the back door was never sealed so it leaked and rotted my floor..... We even had to take them to court because they admitted it was their contractor's fault but refused to pay to fix any of it. My neighbors, also Schumacher homes, had trouoble as well. The customer service stinks. DO NOT build with Schumacher homes. The quality just is not there!!! I am also fairly certain that they were not allowed to hold a permit in our county for a few years and were kicked out of the Better Business Bureau because of so many complaints.
Hi,
I'm looking to custom build on my own land. Did they resolve your issues?

Thanks & Best Wishes to ya!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 PM

779 posts, read 2,931,927 times
I know, personally, of plenty of people who don't trust that company because they will NOT give out floorplans unless you sign a contract with them. The reason was supposed to be something along the lines of not wanting their floorplans used by others, in the market. So, either they are cutting corners, or revising the floorplan as they go because they are incapable of adhering to it, or they don't realize what century we live in. The homes are also built *very* close together. I don't see how neccessary it is to put such homes on .20 acre lots - often less - in such a breathable area as North Carolina. It's an older company, there's family in it. In this case, this may be proving to be a problem for them...

The floorplans in my opinion, with the exception of a few, are very average. What I do like is the Reedy Fork neighborhoods up in NE Greensboro. Good schools, a bit of a drive, but it was developing along very nicely before the money bust. Because of that, all things considered, I'd still recommend owning your first home there. The HOA does their job, the people who live *are* happy (even with their HOA) and will tell you as much, plus they have their own pool, school, sidewalks (thank GOD!) and it's extremely clean and family oriented. But DO see the houses and lots in person. There isn't much there in the way of outdoor square footage, and if you have kids, I'm sure this is going to be a concern for you. They have good ones, but you must see them in person. What use is a .24 ac yard if it's 65 degree slope?

Thems my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point