U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2006, 05:12 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,207,717 times

Advertisements

From the 8/19 issue of the Journal (paraphrasing, not quoting): a 3 year fight to stop W-S from annexing portions of the surrounding county ended, with W-S the winner. 17,000 more residents will live in W-S proper after 9/30. The annexation happens after the 9/1 cutoff for tax bills, so the property owners will be billed next year for 21 months. Winston-Salem will become the fourth largest city in the state, with a population of more than 212,500 residents, overtaking Durham.

What this means for the homeowner is illustrated with an example of a $200,000 house. Before annexation, with the property owner only paying Forsyth county taxes, they owed $1,320 a year. After annexation they will pay county and city taxes, with a 73% increase to $2,290/year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2006, 07:02 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,658,054 times
I think this is occuring in many areas of NC- do people get to vote on this annextion?

I though no matter where you resides you pay county tax and town taxes, apparently not true -

I see listings in Ral area stating no city taxes in areas like cary, which I don't get - also, cary is trying to annex apex (???)

Given the growth in Char areas now that only pay to the county - Union and the town - say wax, who knows if char will annex them and everyone increases.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:19 AM

463 posts, read 1,521,691 times
According to the article they didn't get to vote on annexation, which on a quick skim, was apparently the basis of a 3 year legal battle that Forsyth Citizens Against Forced Annexation lost. The NC Supreme Court upheld the lower court's decision that W-S could annex.

In my experience, when one lives in a county, not in a town or city in the county, they pay the county taxes, not both. If they live in a town or city in the county, they pay both. I did have to laugh at the last sentence in the article -( paraphrasing) that it wasn't being done for tax purposes- it was good urban planning. Yeah, right.

JMO, but I won't be surprised in the least to see some future annexation in other rapidly growing areas of the state.

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
I think this is occuring in many areas of NC- do people get to vote on this annextion?

I though no matter where you resides you pay county tax and town taxes, apparently not true -

I see listings in Ral area stating no city taxes in areas like cary, which I don't get - also, cary is trying to annex apex (???)

Given the growth in Char areas now that only pay to the county - Union and the town - say wax, who knows if char will annex them and everyone increases.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:38 AM
JAS

572 posts, read 1,782,435 times
Default W-s

That's why the "town" of Wallburg decided to incorporate a few yrs ago - so W-S couldn't get its meathooks on all those property taxes, er "new citizens".

Probably the same reason why Summerfield and a few other communities in the Greensboro area did the same.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:06 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,856,643 times
When the 2000 census showed that Durham overtook Winston-Salem for "4th place" in population, they went NUTS! They couldn't stand it....they went on a crazy annexing spree that has yet to slow down. Several towns incorporated themselves around them to survive...Bethania, one of them, is actually practically "surrounded" by WinstonSalem now.

Weiss--in NC everyone pays county taxes.....only those living in the limits of an incorporated town/city will pay city taxes, on top of that.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 PM

499 posts, read 1,399,933 times
WS and Forsyth had better work harder at attracting new businesses and investment, because they are ONLY about 650 people ahead of Durham in population now.
And if you consider the illegals that refused to be counted in the Census, then Durham probably exceeds WS already!

Old 05-07-2011, 03:51 PM

321 posts, read 461,587 times
Yeah, but many parts of Durham are still dangerous, and its downtown core has nothing to offer except the American Tobacco Campus. All the good stuff is in that 1 spot, and it is indeed good. The rest, is a "fearful," empty downtown. I'd take the downtown of 'lil boring ole W-S over the "downtown" of Durham any day.

People live in Durham because they don't want to pay for Raleigh or Cary. This implies that people are putting up with sprawl in the RTP region at a scale that would make people in W-S cringe.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:42 PM

700 posts, read 1,442,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
When the 2000 census showed that Durham overtook Winston-Salem for "4th place" in population, they went NUTS! They couldn't stand it....they went on a crazy annexing spree that has yet to slow down. Several towns incorporated themselves around them to survive...Bethania, one of them, is actually practically "surrounded" by WinstonSalem now.

Weiss--in NC everyone pays county taxes.....only those living in the limits of an incorporated town/city will pay city taxes, on top of that.
Fact is Bethania was on W-S list. They pulled a state rep (can not remember the name) out of their *** and used the historical record to make the arguement that they were a town and could not be annexed.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:02 PM

700 posts, read 1,442,590 times
Default Forced is the best term.

Being one of those who has been forced. I got no vote. I got no discount for being a city resident. My water bill was supose to go down it went up. The city adjusted some lines to exclude areas that had less people and more property. Fact is the City of Winston and Forsyth County are one in the same. Zoning is done under this legacy plan which does not address population moves. Look at Winston. They zone property to fit this plan that does not fit the area. There last was rezoning property along Hwy 150 (Peterscreek Pkwy). This propert is along a four lane raod which is 55 mph with a grass median. They have it zoned Residentail one peice has a box store (old Bi-Lo on one side, 150 on the other, a water stoarge tower and one house across the street. It is zoned for residential. The owner wanted it to be changed so they could market it. The city said leave it and we will address it after it is sold. More BS. Just like the road that was built between Old Salisbury & 150 at the Walmart. Three years plus to build. Then the road is built with a curb grass median. Side just taper off to grass with a guardrail. goes from 45 mph two lane road. To one with a median and 35 mph. No thought or planning what so ever. Good Job. I'm glad to be a taxpayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point