U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,770 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just recently moved down to a suburban area in Winston Salem, NC over the holidays with our three children ages 15,11, 7...we are currently staying temporarily in my mother's house until we find a place. I am not familiar with the area and need help please ! and what is a magnet school? my son is gifted so is that a good school for him? looking for a nice family -oriented neighborhood with a good school district, near a VA hospital, and by shopping areas.. looking for a home to rent nearby and would consider another town if recommended...any info would be greatly appreciated..thank you..:-)

Last edited by veteranwife04; 01-02-2011 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:51 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Your first objective would be to locate the nearest VA hospital. I have heard the nearest one is in Salisbury or Hickory, if this is true it would mean a lot of time on the highway from Winston.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 AM

8 posts, read 12,873 times
There is a VA in Winston. I've been there and so have my friends. Another is Salisbury or Durham. Just all have diff speciality, I guess.

I live in Greensboro, so I can only recommend what's here.

A magnet school is the same as a regular public school except they incorporate a second language in the program, an enhanced or additional program, etc... but if I'm not mistaken, they do that to regular public schools anyways. At least that was what was explained to me.

What's the difference between magnet and public schools? - Yahoo! Answers

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-03-2011 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,770 times
Thanks for your reponse . We found a VA clinic here in Winston.. we will check the one in Salisbury as well as the neighborhood and schools.
And yes, we do need a hairstylest out here .

Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
Hi veteranwife, and welcome to Winston-Salem!

Yes, there is a VA clinic here. It's near Hanes Mall, and is convenient to I-40 so you can get there easily from just about anywhere in the Triad. But there are lots of great places to live nearby. You didn't mention price ranges, but in the southwest quarter of the county you can find choices in just about any price range.

The magnet schools are a bit more than just a second language or enhanced program. They offer focused educational opportunities in their target areas, and the missions are integrated into the regular curricula where possible. There are magnets for performing arts, international languages, skill trades, science, technology, etc. Hanes Middle School is a magnet for college-bound kids, and it also houses the highly acadmically gifted (HAG) program, so it may be a good fit for your kid. You'll find all the details at the Winston-Salem Forsyth County schools website.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM

57 posts, read 63,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veteranwife04 View Post
...family-oriented neighborhood...
I've always been puzzled by this phrase: Family-oriented neighborhood

What is meant by this? What would a non-family-oriented neighborhood be like? Are their neighborhoods like this?

Not trying to be obnoxious, but genuinely curious, because I hear this phrase quite often.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM

10,396 posts, read 19,409,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSeven View Post

What is meant by this? What would a non-family-oriented neighborhood be like? Are their neighborhoods like this?

Not trying to be obnoxious, but genuinely curious, because I hear this phrase quite often.
It usually means neighborhoods where there are a lot of kids and even folks without children don't mind having them around (vs. "Get off my lawn!"). This would be as opposed to a neighborhood where most of the residents were, say, college students or seniors, where children wouldn't have many other kids to play with or there might be a lot of partying, etc.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:07 PM

57 posts, read 63,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It usually means neighborhoods where there are a lot of kids and even folks without children don't mind having them around (vs. "Get off my lawn!"). This would be as opposed to a neighborhood where most of the residents were, say, college students or seniors, where children wouldn't have many other kids to play with or there might be a lot of partying, etc.
Ah - I see. Then if that is what is meant, then I think the entire phrase is probably a misnomer, it should be any of the following:

Child-friendly Neighborhood
Children-friendly Neighborhood
Kid-friendly Neighborhood

Old 01-07-2011, 12:24 PM

62 posts, read 168,668 times
There is a VA outpatient clinic in Winston-Salem, though there are certain services that are only performed at the VA Medical Center in Salisbury (about 40 min. drive)

Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSeven View Post

A neighborhood where skeletons are all kept in the closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point