Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 AM

16 posts, read 85,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Meth is a hell of a drug.

I feel like you're holding back some 'feelings' about the town that may be good for me to know... Please share. Or at least send me a direct message if it's something you don't want to put out on the boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:51 PM

7 posts, read 28,283 times
First let me say that Reidsville is considered a suburb on Greensboro for all those who have ever lived in any major area. I lived outside of Raleigh most recently before relocating to Reidsville and drove more than 30 miles to work everyday. There are not too many points in Greensboro that you will drive that far from Reidsville. I have also lived up north and the one thing I can tell you is the pace is slower in the south.

We have 2 young children 7 and 2 with my wife as a stay at home mother. The schools have been great here, smaller class sizes and new facilities than what we had coming from Raleigh. The prices of homes here are much less than in Greensboro and there is plenty to offer in Reidsville. There are a couple of parades and downtown events every year, as well as a Farmers market and lots of historical sites in the area. It is a nice location with all the amenities of a larger area within a short driving distance.

The crime is very low and the people in the area are very friendly. There is a pick your own Apple Orchard, Blue berry farm, Peach Grove and many other great things for the kids to do. Also there is a city lake and several parks around that are very well kept. I can personally say that after moving to several place around the country; when we were able to find a permanent place to reside, this has been a great choice.

Let me know if you need any other info, I have been in the town for just over a year now and have very little that is bad to say about the community.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Also I forgot to address the myth that there is a drug or crime problem here. If you speak with any of the police officers they will tell you it is all very low; however every town has some. If you speak with those who have lived here for 50+ years they will tell you it is high. What they really mean is that the crime is low and what crime is generally petty; however there is not a lot of news so if something happens it makes front page. Also when you grew up and there were 2 houses on the street and now there are 15 it changes your perception.
I have lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Baton Rouge, Detroit, Albuquerque, and Tampa area; there is a lot of crime in those areas. Here you might get your change taken from your ash tray if you leave your car unlocked everynight. If you want to find trouble in any town you can but here you will have to look harder.

Also they have done a lot to revitalize the down town area and are expanding the major road through town. Just to say there is growth happening and will continue for many years.

One more thing, if you are buying, look outside the city limits for property. It will save you a lot in taxes and you lose very little service for it.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 PM

16 posts, read 85,172 times
Thanks so much for your responses NCFG! It's nice to hear a first hand account from someone who has recently relocated there. I hope you don't mind if I send you some private messages for more info if we do decide to make the big move.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Feel free this has been a great move for our family and I would be happy to give you information on anything you need.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:57 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Meth is a hell of a drug.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,132 times
Default Bull PUCKET I saY !!

Again .. pure Bull pUcKET!!

I took a drive up Reidsville this weekend to check it out for myself.
I didn't see anything negative.

I talked with police/sheriff officers in the area and in the neighboring county. Yes, there's a lot of unemployment, but the people were really friendly. Lawns where mowed and faces seemed as normal as anywhere else.

All this talk about it being 50 years behind the times had me set to experience some racism or other ignorance. Just the opposite. One of the friendliest places I've encountered in the state.

Perhaps many of the posters are younger and looking for the so-called, "excitement" of a more urban area? But if you're older and want some peace and quiet, get yourself a big dog and check out some of the wonderful housing choices.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crock921 View Post
My husband has a job offer on the table. We would have to live in Reidsville.
Why is your job dictating where you must live? Is the job in Reidsville? If so, I'd just move across the state line into VA. Lots less expensive there!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Its interesting because in big cities like Atlanta, surrounding communities are called suburbs. I've always heard towns outside of Greensboro called "bedroom communities" but its really the same thing. I'm not sure if Reidsville is a suburb of Greensboro. Summerfield, Oakridge, Stokesdale, Browns Summit and Pleasant Garden are though. High Point is too much of a city to be called a suburb.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
My impression of a suburb is away from a larger city yet still having better than adequate amenities. On the other hand I interpret a bedroom community as a city/town that has little or no amenities where people reside and collect mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point