U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,784,294 times

Advertisements

At 30 MPH over the posted speed limit , NC State law dictates that you loose the privilege of driving for a period of time

I FULLY SUPPORT THAT LAW
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM

11,439 posts, read 6,486,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
At 30 MPH over the posted speed limit , NC State law dictates that you loose the privilege of driving for a period of time

I FULLY SUPPORT THAT LAW
Big whoop. Unless you totally effed up you would more than likely be able to obtain driving privileges to go to work.

Last edited by WFW&P; 01-22-2011 at 11:00 AM..

Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM

55 posts, read 177,869 times
Default Same thing

I got my first ticket on Bus. 85 also after over 16 years of a clean driving record. I was going 71 (I usually take I-85 & it is 70 on that highway, so I usually am going around 70 w/o issue). I am from out-of-state and even after getting my ticket thought that I was speeding by only 11 miles an hour, not 16. I was surprised, I didn't realize it was 55. I learned my lesson. I also had my kids in the car; we did have the radio on and were all singing together. I was looking at the road and keeping up with traffic (but I got pulled instead of the 3 other cars around me). The lawyer was able to get the recklass driving and speeding taken off and changed it to something completely different in the plea deal (something like improper equipment malfunction). I can't have another ticket for a year or it will be revoked- that was almost a year ago. I too am a teacher and was worried about losing my teaching certificate since we can not have any offenses on our record, so it worked out well for me and I am still teaching. I try to aviod B-85 and just take I-85; I don't want to lose track of my speed on that highway again; it is too easy to do since most cars are going fast, and it feels like a regular highway too much. I'm sure things will work out fine with you. My lawyer was Jeffrey Berg in Davidson County if your lawyer can't get it plead down, maybe he can help.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:53 PM

10 posts, read 24,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthebaker View Post
I got my first ticket on Bus. 85 also after over 16 years of a clean driving record. I was going 71 (I usually take I-85 & it is 70 on that highway, so I usually am going around 70 w/o issue). I am from out-of-state and even after getting my ticket thought that I was speeding by only 11 miles an hour, not 16. I was surprised, I didn't realize it was 55. I learned my lesson. I also had my kids in the car; we did have the radio on and were all singing together. I was looking at the road and keeping up with traffic (but I got pulled instead of the 3 other cars around me). The lawyer was able to get the recklass driving and speeding taken off and changed it to something completely different in the plea deal (something like improper equipment malfunction). I can't have another ticket for a year or it will be revoked- that was almost a year ago. I too am a teacher and was worried about losing my teaching certificate since we can not have any offenses on our record, so it worked out well for me and I am still teaching. I try to aviod B-85 and just take I-85; I don't want to lose track of my speed on that highway again; it is too easy to do since most cars are going fast, and it feels like a regular highway too much. I'm sure things will work out fine with you. My lawyer was Jeffrey Berg in Davidson County if your lawyer can't get it plead down, maybe he can help.

Thanks! Good for you....we all make mistakes, the important thing is that we learn from them. Anyway, Hopefully something favorable will be worked out for me, but I checked with a few counties around here and the place I work of course and reckless driving will not affect my job or being able to get a job around here (unless I want to drive a bus). Heck, there are principles in the area with DUI/DWI's on their records (which I just found out). But, I hope that things do work out and I don't end up with a record...I learned my lesson and I now pay much more attention to the speed and how fast I am driving....maybe I should find another way to work though b/c when you drive on B 85 everyday at 6:30 in the morning and don't get back home till after 6, it is pretty easy to "zone out" for even 30 seconds. Well thanks for the lawyer name too!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,495,969 times
Ticket for driving 85 in a 55 zone and reckless driving

While not excusable it is understandable. New Job, new environment, first day of pre-school, in all probability a high anxiety scenario. I also have a soft spot for Math Teachers, the ones I have known were seriously dedicated to their jobs. Everybody makes mistakes, you're educated, so perhaps you will learn from your mistake. T'ain't like I haven't made any in my lifetime, ya learn from them then carry on. Get an Attorney, the best you can afford, and hopefully you'll learn from the experience. Good luck to ya!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:13 PM

8,101 posts, read 2,145,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Ticket for driving 85 in a 55 zone and reckless driving

While not excusable it is understandable. New Job, new environment, first day of pre-school, in all probability a high anxiety scenario. I also have a soft spot for Math Teachers, the ones I have known were seriously dedicated to their jobs. Everybody makes mistakes, you're educated, so perhaps you will learn from your mistake. T'ain't like I haven't made any in my lifetime, ya learn from them then carry on. Get an Attorney, the best you can afford, and hopefully you'll learn from the experience. Good luck to ya!
I agree....my math teachers were always awesome.

My best friend is a math teacher...most I know are very dedicated to their job.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:09 PM

8,178 posts, read 10,803,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I'm a transplant... So driving in NC is a huge adjustment for me.. Where I am from you get flipped off for doing anything less than 5 miles over the speed limit.
Well, the first lesson you (general) need to learn when moving to a new state is that things aren't always done like they were "where you came from".

Old 01-24-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well, the first lesson you (general) need to learn when moving to a new state is that things aren't always done like they were "where you came from".
orrrrrrr... People bring stuff "where they are from" down with them and it sticks..... Lessons work both ways

That is what culture is about ain't it?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 PM

668 posts, read 2,000,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
orrrrrrr... People bring stuff "where they are from" down with them and it sticks..... Lessons work both ways

That is what culture is about ain't it?
From what I can see the driving culture is: don't use a turn signal, tail gate, burn through a yellow (pretty much red) light and slow down or completely brake when merging onto a highway.

The bonus is people rarely honk or get annoyed if you are day dreaming as a light turns green.

Seriously, where do good drivers live anyway?? It seems like everyone, everywhere are bad drivers talking on a cell phones. I try to not be one of them, but I have made my fair share of dumb a** moves and it almost always seems to be when I have the kids in the car. I think they are far more distracting than a cell phone. It is scary and if I could, I would walk everywhere!!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
From what I can see the driving culture is: don't use a turn signal, tail gate, burn through a yellow (pretty much red) light and slow down or completely brake when merging onto a highway.
It's so true.....it's really bad too... I have all those habits except I never tailgate. I know I hate it so I am always mindful of it.

Quote:
The bonus is people rarely honk or get annoyed if you are day dreaming as a light turns green.
Lol..I noticed that too!

Quote:
Seriously, where do good drivers live anyway?? It seems like everyone, everywhere are bad drivers talking on a cell phones. I try to not be one of them, but I have made my fair share of dumb a** moves and it almost always seems to be when I have the kids in the car. I think they are far more distracting than a cell phone. It is scary and if I could, I would walk everywhere!!
I think cell phones are the worst thing to ever happen to driving..even more so texting. So dangerous.

In fact, what are the local laws for driving while talking/texting on a cell phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point