U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I think cell phones are the worst thing to ever happen to driving..even more so texting. So dangerous.

In fact, what are the local laws for driving while talking/texting on a cell phone?
As far as I know, it is legal to talk on a cell phone as long as you are over 18. I believe the penalty for the under 18 is something silly like a $10 ticket though. I could be wrong about the laws, but I do know pretty much EVERY car I see is on the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:36 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
In fact, what are the local laws for driving while talking/texting on a cell phone?
State Law

No texting while driving by anyone.

No cell phone use by drivers under the age of 18

No cell phone use by school bus drivers.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 AM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Sorry, but you're not going to get much sympathy from me for going 85 in a 55, especially with a child in the car.
This is the United States of America, need you be reminded!

Even if you were doing 80, or 75, or 70, or even 65, there would still be no sympathy. In many cases, even if you were doing 63 or 60.

Most Americans, when you ask them to spell compassion, they leave the com out of the word. Passion for justice! Passion for spending $50k a year to house prisoners!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:38 AM

34,358 posts, read 41,436,735 times
85 in a 55? no excuse for being that out of touch with reality while driving.
Pay the fine, and in future slow down and check your speedometer once in a while..

Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,073,393 times
It always amazes me when I see these kind of posts of people 30 mph over the speed limit making excuses.
If a person can't tell the difference in the sound of a vehicle from 55 and 85, or how fast the scenery is going by, road noise, or any other number of reasons that might suggest too much speed, then they HAVE NO BUSINESS DRIVING A VEHICLE.
If they are so out of touch with their surroundings and observations that they have no idea of how fast they are going then they should use public transit and sell their cars.
Absolutely no sympathy here.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Any time I leave town, I always rent a car. And, I always rent an economy car. Why? Because in a Hyundai Accent, I always know when I'm speeding.

One time, they were out of economy cars, and all that was left were luxury cars that day. Never again, as it's a sure speeding ticket for me.

Many times, I'd look at the speedometer and was shocked at how fast I was going, it just didn't feel like I was going 20 miles over the speed limit in a Lincoln Town Car.

And when you're traveling to new areas you've never been to, there's too many distractions. So easy to take your eye off the speedometer.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 PM

10 posts, read 51,093 times
Just an update: My attorney went to court on my court date; it was continued. He then spoke with the DA yesterday and the DA has agreed to letting me take traffic school and pay a $100 fine and the ticket will be dropped to 9mph over. No reckless driving and no points on my license or insurance. Just in case any one wanted to know.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 PM

3,785 posts, read 3,297,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
From what I can see the driving culture is: don't use a turn signal, tail gate, burn through a yellow (pretty much red) light and slow down or completely brake when merging onto a highway.

The bonus is people rarely honk or get annoyed if you are day dreaming as a light turns green.

Guilty. As. Charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point