U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM

8,100 posts, read 5,000,867 times

Advertisements

I'm on my way down.... And here is my question... Just want some general advice.

My wife is already down there with my children in our apt. We secured a place at The Pointe at Peter's Creek.. Kids will be going to Griffith Elementary.

I seen the complex and it looks O.K. to me. From what I read it is the Cloverdale area? And people say it's pretty seedy? And my research has shown Griffith is not the most desireable school as well..

Is this area the hood?

I've lived in some less than desireable spots.. Elizabeth, NJ and Washington Heights, NYC. And this place doesn't appear to be even remotely as grimey.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 PM

302 posts, read 537,389 times
This area is neither a hood, or a bad area...new growth in Winston-Salem is occuring in this direction away from downtown south toward Davidson County, as well as west toward Lewisville/Clemmons, and north in the direction of King. Welcome to the City of the ARts & Innovation.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
This area is neither a hood, or a bad area...new growth in Winston-Salem is occuring in this direction away from downtown south toward Davidson County, as well as west toward Lewisville/Clemmons, and north in the direction of King. Welcome to the City of the ARts & Innovation.
Thanks but I'm not moving to Roverside, Cali.. I'm moving to NC

J/K

thanks a lot for the response.. Much appreciated... Looking forward to it.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:53 PM

676 posts, read 2,803,336 times
That part of Peter's Creek isn't seedy. It isn't nice a few miles up by Academy and Peter's Creek. However, Griffith isn't the best elementary school. There are worse, but a newer school Kimmel Farm Elementary may be in your zone. W-S is a school of choice and you can chose to be in different schools in your zone if you make it by the deadline. I am pretty sure you have the month of Feb to enroll in your pick of schools. Ok, I just checked your zone and you pretty much don't want any of the schools but first choice Clemmons, then Kimmel Farm, followed by Griffith. I am basing this on test scores and some word of mouth from the people I know who live on the south side.

Here is the NC school report card link:
NC School Report Cards

School zone locator:
School Locator

Old 01-23-2011, 10:06 PM

Thanks again.....really helpful!

My wife already registered the kids in Griffith so I am going to see if I can get that changed. Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 07:18 PM

676 posts, read 2,803,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Thanks again.....really helpful!

My wife already registered the kids in Griffith so I am going to see if I can get that changed. Thanks
No problem. It certainly can't hurt to try! You might as well try to take advantage of W-S's school of choice and not get stuck in a lower performing school. If not this year, there is always next year. Involved parents really make a difference no matter what school you go to. My spouse is a teacher and definitely can tell when the students have active parents who value education. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
No problem. It certainly can't hurt to try! You might as well try to take advantage of W-S's school of choice and not get stuck in a lower performing school. If not this year, there is always next year. Involved parents really make a difference no matter what school you go to. My spouse is a teacher and definitely can tell when the students have active parents who value education. Good luck with your move.
I agree 110% that the emphasis on the parent/child relationship in regards to education is more important. My wife feels even more strongly about that as she is not as adamant about placing them in the highest testing school available.

I am just stubborn lol... I just want to make sure my kids are in the environment that is mostconducive to their success. That are within my means, of course.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,256 times
Hi Hot Handz: I lived in Elizabeth and other towns in Union county most of my life. I've learned my Northern definition of the 'hood is far different from that of North Carolinians. Oh, there are places I would NOTgo alone of course. But I often go to Walmart at 2am (best time of day) without a thought for my safety. I didn't have school-aged children however as long as you and you wife are involved, 6 months won't make a huge difference.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:35 PM

123 posts, read 249,263 times
I live pretty close to where you are moving too. It's not the hood. Maybe not the best place in Winston-Salem, but no where near the worst. Winston Salem is a really nice city, I've lived in Los Angeles for the last 10 years in the Hood. You have nothing to worry about in that area. A North Carolian's few of what is bad is not the same as ours. Thats good huh! My son is currently attending Kimmel Farm. He really likes the school. Never had any issue's. Yes I have heard that Griffin is not so great, but that is just hearsay. Not sure if Clemmons will be on your list of choice schools. What age are your children? W-S also has a great Magnet school program. Welcome to NC. Good luck with the move. May I suggest your wife getting a Tag $25.00 for a year to enter Tanglewood park its a great place for the kids to go play. They have a really nice pool in the summer, fishing, bike paths, boating, and a bmx track. Also hobby park if you are in to Mtn bike riding. Also twin-city for soccer program. Keep the kids active and meet other parents. We moved here last August, we really like it.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 PM

16 posts, read 45,881 times
Also grew up in NJ (Wayne) and even the worst parts of Winston-Salem (near where I work at B/E Aerospace by the airport) aren't nearly as bad as the nicer areas of Elizabeth.

I know some volunteers that work with Griffith Elementary and have a lot of nice things to say about it. I'd recommend that you do your research before taking someone's word for it, on way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point