Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 08:43 AM

23 posts, read 27,787 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I haven't been to Winston Salem since I was 5 years old. A job opportunity (actually two, one is in Atlanta) has presented itself, and I snagged some street names for WS.

100 Block of N Cameron Avenue

1400 Block of Douglas St

1800 Block of Locust Avenue

2200 Block of Greenway Avenue

1600 Block of Dunleith Avenue

500 Block of Pitts St

1500 Block of Sharon Rd

2500 Block of Patterson Avenue

700 Block of Goldfloss

500 Block of Chandler St

2100 Block of Haymount St

4500 Block of Oak Ridge Dr

What is crime like in these areas? How far are they from shops, grocery stores and eateries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 AM

231 posts, read 709,592 times
For crime:
Winston-Salem Police Department P2C - provided by OSSI

For the rest, check out Google or Yelp, etc.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:29 AM

Thanks, olrac.

Looking at the reports, there sure are quite a few burglaries in the city.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:55 AM

231 posts, read 709,592 times
Well, a quick glimpse at the street names you've provided reveals that many are in some of the least "safe" parts of town.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:56 AM

700 posts, read 1,639,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthWilliams View Post
Hi everyone,

I haven't been to Winston Salem since I was 5 years old. A job opportunity (actually two, one is in Atlanta) has presented itself, and I snagged some street names for WS.

100 Block of N Cameron Avenue

1400 Block of Douglas St

1800 Block of Locust Avenue

2200 Block of Greenway Avenue

1600 Block of Dunleith Avenue

500 Block of Pitts St

1500 Block of Sharon Rd

2500 Block of Patterson Avenue

700 Block of Goldfloss

500 Block of Chandler St

2100 Block of Haymount St

4500 Block of Oak Ridge Dr

What is crime like in these areas? How far are they from shops, grocery stores and eateries?
Truth. To be honest all of these are in areas that questionable at least. They might be in a very small pocket ok neighbor ect. But, these areas are very low income with crime rates that are higher than others around the city. Granted crime can be anywhere at any time. Just looking a break-ins are just a part. W-S is not an Atlantla with higher crime rates and more define "bad parts of town". Speaking as a resident. I would not live there unless I had no other choice. Sorry if it offends. But truth. Not knowing your requirements for what is ok for you. Makes it hard for me to suggest areas that may be a better fit.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:17 AM

700 posts, read 1,639,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthWilliams View Post
Thanks, olrac.

Looking at the reports, there sure are quite a few burglaries in the city.
That crime has increased in many cities due to the economy. My neighbor (75 feet away) was broken into about 5 months ago. They did not get anything as he travels out of country and just comes into town every few months and what he has in his home is of no great value. Speaking with police they said that most are looking for quick cash. Items like Cash, ipods, laptops, jewelry. They are leave things like old tvs, radios ect. They might grab large items but the crime of the day is the quick grab and they hit a few homes in an area at a time. I just do the smart stuff. Have insurance, all items of great value such as old gold class ring that I no long wear, important papers and any large amounts of cash is in safety deposit box. Have all id numbers to TVs, laptops and other things Id with engraving. When I go out of town. Mail is stopped and a neighbor drops by and checks things. I also let him use my car and leave his in the driveway. Anything to make things seem as if someone is home. Anything that is of value car keys, spare house keys and other items are locked away in safe deposit box till I return. If you rent suggest renters insurance and tagging items. Small things now that will payoff if something does happen.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep looking around for some things. I guess I was fooled by one of the maps that suggested some homes in those areas had some high values. Of course, where I'm from (Niagara Falls, NY) you can buy a huge Mansion for less than 200K, and a decent home for 30K (I'm currently in a very large well-kept home that only costs 28K), so I have to remember that the concept of value is often much higher in other places outside of Niagara Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point