U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,307,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
things other than go shopping? You calling us communists?
:d lol :d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,307,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
Honestly I think W-S (won't really speak for Greensboro) has enough shopping for a city it's size. Besides Hanes Mall with your typical stores Reynolda Village is another area with some unique stores. Even if they built another mall or shopping center the vast majority of it would be the same stores, I doubt you would get anything new.

Although I would like to see some new stuff on the food front and I don't necessarily mean in terms of sit down restaurants. A few months back there was talks of adding another frozen yogurt place and I am like do we really need ANOTHER one? I am temporarily living in NY right now and I've already seen a few ideas I think could work in NC.
Yeah, yogurt bars are enjoying a surge in Greensboro too. What kind of things are you seeing in NY?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,140,510 times
Default Shopping

When you look at income data for Richmond you pull up only data for the City of Richmond, not the adjacent counties. Yes, I have been amazed at the variety of high end shopping in Richmond also! Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Short Pump Town Centre in Richmond? Charlottesville & Northern Va are closeby and those folks are high income. Greensboro has a great shopping center in Friendly Center and W-S's Hanes Mall area. Richmond probably has more potential than most cities in this region if it ever gets its act together!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM

68 posts, read 122,053 times
Greensboro should have at least 2 large malls at the minimum for its size.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yeah, that's pretty impressive. They have a GAP, a Hot Topic, and even a Gamestop. That's real high-end stuff.

Look, I'm sure Richmond is a great place to shop, but it's not like it's miles ahead of the Triad. We have plenty of good shopping here.
Yeah, all it has is a Nordstroms, Dillards, Macys, and other high end shops while being the most impressive looking outdoor center Ive ever seen.

Short Pump Town Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stony Point fashion Park is even bigger. Stony Point Fashion Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, Id say Richmond is MILES, MILES ahead of Greensboro in the shopping department and thats a huge understatement.

LOL, Greensboro only has 1 mall and 1 outdoor shopping complex for a city that has more people than Richmond. Thats flat out embarrassing.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 PM

I shouldnt even compare it to Richmond because its such a slaughter in Richmonds favor that it isnt even fair. Im willing to bet Greensboro is the weakest city in the country comparing it to other cities of its same size for shopping.

Hell, Greenville South Carolina has more shopping, and that city is only 65,000 people!!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
When you look at income data for Richmond you pull up only data for the City of Richmond, not the adjacent counties. Yes, I have been amazed at the variety of high end shopping in Richmond also! Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Short Pump Town Centre in Richmond? Charlottesville & Northern Va are closeby and those folks are high income. Greensboro has a great shopping center in Friendly Center and W-S's Hanes Mall area. Richmond probably has more potential than most cities in this region if it ever gets its act together!

Richmond actually has a reputation for being a "dump". I dont know If its because of the high crime it had in the 80s and 90s or some of the sections on I-95.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM

231 posts, read 610,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
Greensboro should have at least 2 large malls at the minimum for its size.
You're basing this on what compelling economic data?
Greensboro has 2 large malls. The fact that Friendly Center is an open-air center doesn't diminish its economic importance, and the receipts it brings in must certainly dwarf those of Four Seasons. And what you forget is that Greensboro also has Hanes Mall, because it's just a 30-minute drive at most from any part of town.
We're a multi-centric metro area. You can't compare city to city. Richmond is nothing but Richmond, unless you count Petersburg, which is smaller than Burlington.
And, the point that has been made several times already: Malls are not a definitive sign of vibrant retail activity, and the shopping mall has been dying a slow death nationwide for 30 years.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:39 PM

231 posts, read 610,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
Richmond actually has a reputation for being a "dump". I dont know If its because of the high crime it had in the 80s and 90s or some of the sections on I-95.
Richmond itself is a dump. There's not a single part of Greensboro I wouldn't feel safe walking at night (and I've been walking in all of them), and Winston & High Point, particular, have just a few sketchy areas. Richmond has large swathes of neighborhoods where one simply should not go, and the city itself falls within the top 20 in most statistical analyses of dangerous cities in the US.

Richmond metro is another story.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
You're basing this on what compelling economic data?
Greensboro has 2 large malls. The fact that Friendly Center is an open-air center doesn't diminish its economic importance, and the receipts it brings in must certainly dwarf those of Four Seasons. And what you forget is that Greensboro also has Hanes Mall, because it's just a 30-minute drive at most from any part of town.
We're a multi-centric metro area. You can't compare city to city. Richmond is nothing but Richmond, unless you count Petersburg, which is smaller than Burlington.
And, the point that has been made several times already: Malls are not a definitive sign of vibrant retail activity, and the shopping mall has been dying a slow death nationwide for 30 years.
An open air center doesnt count as a regular mall. Greensboro should have way, way more than just 1 mall and 1 open air center. Its jaw dropping that it doesnt.

Greensboro has shopping for a city of 75,000, not 260,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point