U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM

68 posts, read 122,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I've been out here for a week.. And Winston-Salem, IMO, lacks in pretty much anything to do.
Not surprising since it only has 1 mall for a city of 223,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 AM

231 posts, read 611,961 times
Quote:
That's not necessarily true. Many items that you find in stores cannot be bought online at all. This holds true especially for clothing.

I love shopping at edgy boutique shops and putting together an outfit that separates myself. But that's just me. So, I am really in hell in W/S and I am relegated to "internet digging"..
I agree that there are still some items one cannot find online, but I do not agree that clothing sold at the mall falls into this category. I have never found a garment - for man or woman - at the mall that I did not easily find online later. I nearly always shop in stores but buy the items online. This includes even the most esoteric items found in the most obscure thrift shops I've been to. No matter how unusual I think something is upon first glance in the store, I'm always shocked to find 20 of the same item online.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM

6,131 posts, read 6,456,816 times
Quote:
I've been out here for a week.. And Winston-Salem, IMO, lacks in pretty much anything to do.
Always has. It's a good place to raise young children and a good place for older folks, but doesn't offer much of anything for young adults to around retirement age.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,104,880 times
I'm feeling almost overwhelmed by the lameness in this thread. Where does one even begin?

First of all, Macy's and Dillards are not high end, even here in the backwoods of NC. And besides, we have both of those stores here, so I suppose we're high end in Viper's view after all. Forget the specialty shops in the Arts district, or the fancy stores in Reynolda Village, or the boutique stores on Stratford Rd.--we got Dillards!

Second, someone who's been here a week has concluded there's nothing to do? I can think of plenty of things to do for people of all ages, and none of them involve hanging around shopping malls. If you are anywhere between being an infant and being dead, there are tons of things to do: Concerts, plays, golf, fishing, indy movies, hiking, biking, horseback riding, street festivals, winery tours, historic sites, Arts Crawl, baseball, college sports, hobby clubs, art classes...have you found something to do yet? No? Okay, how about a brewery tour, the Dixie Classic Fair, the circus, the Festival of Lights, the Barbecue Festival, the Air Show, the Steeplechase at Tanglewood, coffee at Krankies, shopping in the consignment stores, open air dining on 4th street, dance lessons, etc., etc., etc. Need more?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM

8,100 posts, read 5,014,422 times
I guess some people cannot discern an opinion from a fact...

From my teachings, it was always understood that anything stated is an opinion unless explicitly stated as a fact.

That being said, I still clarified it with the "IMO"... So, I will take it a step further and mention that there is nothing to do here of interest, TO ME, at this rate at least. Seriously, the whole downtown, arts district and Old Salem can be toured in a day. Sure, there is stuff to do EVERYWHERE you go. How long before it gets boring? I can see myself having to venture more and more miles outside city limits to find things to do.

And please, do not misconstrue this as complaining. The phrase "nothing to do" is being used relatively here.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM

2,655 posts, read 6,104,880 times
Hot_hands, don't mean to pick on you, and you're certainly not the first person who's said there's nothing to do here. But when I hear that it just grates on me because, as I said, there are plenty of things to do here. Perhaps we can help you find some of them? What are the things you like to do?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 PM

424 posts, read 664,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Hot_hands, don't mean to pick on you, and you're certainly not the first person who's said there's nothing to do here. But when I hear that it just grates on me because, as I said, there are plenty of things to do here. Perhaps we can help you find some of them? What are the things you like to do?
I completely agree. I realize that not everything might be "your scene," but that doesn't mean there isn't anything to do. Hell, one of my best friends lives in between Miami and Fort Lauderdale and she was on FB Friday night complaining there was "nothing to do." LOL She's always leaving her area to find something that interests her.Where ever you live, you're bound to get "bored" at some point.

And Hot_Handz, you're been here one week. One week in the dead of winter at that. I don't care where you are, things perk up when it gets warmer.

ETA: I just saw your other thread and that you have kids. Do they like sports? Take them to a Wake game - they are so bad this year, they are practically giving away tickets. LOL And I went to a Dash game (minor league baseball) last year and had a blast. I live in Greensboro, though, so I can't offer a ton of advice on Winston. I'm sitting here wishing we had another closed mall with a Dillard's.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,227,407 times
I hate to beat a dead horse (and I'm hesitant to even respond to a thread started by someone who's post history borders on trolling) but just a few things:

First of all, comparing Richmond and Greensboro/W-S isn't very useful. Comparing city-to-city statistics is at best misleading, and at worst completely useless.

When developers and retailers are looking at potential locations they generally look at trade areas which may or may not coincide with specific city or metro boundaries. This of course depends on the type of mall. For instance, Richmond's Regency Square Mall has a much smaller trade area than Short Pump or Stony Point Fashion Park.

Two of the most important factors they look at is density and income within their trade area. They want to know the number of 'rooftops' within a certain radius, and the income of those households.

It could be that Greensboro and W/S just don't have the density yet. Greensboro (city) is about twice the size (in area) of Richmond but has only 75% of the density. The population is spread out a lot more which means (theoretically at least) there are less people in each trade area.

Another reason why the trade area concept is important is because it may slightly distort the view of relative wealth in an area. For instance, in a city like Richmond, wealth is highly concentrated in very particular nodes of the city. Those are areas that would obviously be attractive to developers and retailers.

On the other hand if the wealth of a city is more spread out and decentralized, its buying power can be slightly (or significantly) diluted in a trade area/market analysis study.
If 10,000 of the city's wealthiest residents live in one neighborhood, then thats a hot spot for a developer. On the other hand, if those 10,000 residents are dispersed among 20 neighborhoods, then no one area really stands out as having development potential.

I have no idea if this is the case for the Greensboro area; just throwing out the idea.

Another thing you have to look at is the type of malls you see in the areas.

Stony Point in Richmond is decidedly upscale with Coach, Louis Vuitton, bcbgmaxazria, etc. People are willing to travel great distances to visit those stores, because they don't really have a choice. Richmond alone would never be able to support a Stony Point-style mall.

In short, you can't say Richmond has 6 smalls and Greensboro has 2 and expect to reach any meaningful conclusions. You might be better off saying the Richmond region/Central Virginia has X # of malls and the Greensboro region/Triad has X # of malls.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Not a problem.. It's just not matter how you slice it, a relocation from 20 minutes outside NYC to W/S is a huge adjustment no matter how you slice it, you know?

I love sports, I will definitely be attending the Wake Forest games.

I really like fine dining..What I notice is mostly chain restaurants out here. And I really like paintball. I have children and they like to go pick fruit. There were a lot of orchards in NJ where you can go pick apples and strawberries. And during the fall we would go pick pumpkins at the patch.

My family likes amusement/theme parks a lot. We would get season passes at Six Flags every summer. My oldest son is loves batting cages. I'm into paintball and fishing.

I like nightlife and lounges too. Also, one thing I am very hard pressed to find is a good sports bar, preferably one that will show all the NFL games.

I like boutique, thrift stores and consignment shops very much. Especially for clothing.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I completely agree. I realize that not everything might be "your scene," but that doesn't mean there isn't anything to do. Hell, one of my best friends lives in between Miami and Fort Lauderdale and she was on FB Friday night complaining there was "nothing to do." LOL She's always leaving her area to find something that interests her.Where ever you live, you're bound to get "bored" at some point.

And Hot_Handz, you're been here one week. One week in the dead of winter at that. I don't care where you are, things perk up when it gets warmer.

ETA: I just saw your other thread and that you have kids. Do they like sports? Take them to a Wake game - they are so bad this year, they are practically giving away tickets. LOL And I went to a Dash game (minor league baseball) last year and had a blast. I live in Greensboro, though, so I can't offer a ton of advice on Winston. I'm sitting here wishing we had another closed mall with a Dillard's.
LOL - I said the same thing to my wife.. We came to W/S about 15 years too late. Would have been cool to see Tim Duncan play in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point