U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM

424 posts, read 663,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Not a problem.. It's just not matter how you slice it, a relocation from 20 minutes outside NYC to W/S is a huge adjustment no matter how you slice it, you know?

I love sports, I will definitely be attending the Wake Forest games.

I really like fine dining..What I notice is mostly chain restaurants out here. And I really like paintball. I have children and they like to go pick fruit. There were a lot of orchards in NJ where you can go pick apples and strawberries. And during the fall we would go pick pumpkins at the patch.

My family likes amusement/theme parks a lot. We would get season passes at Six Flags every summer. My oldest son is loves batting cages. I'm into paintball and fishing.

I like nightlife and lounges too. Also, one thing I am very hard pressed to find is a good sports bar, preferably one that will show all the NFL games.

I like boutique, thrift stores and consignment shops very much. Especially for clothing.
You will definitely, definitely find these things here. Like I said, I live in Greensboro, and I don't know much about Winston. Ask around at work. I'm sure people have leads on locally run fine dining, batting cages and all of that.

Carowinds in a little south of Charlotte, so about 90 minutes from here. Not a bad drive at all. And we have places to pick fruit as well. Every year, the newspapers will run listings during the appropriate season.

This is definitely a change from NYC. I completely get that. But there really is a lot for you and family to do. Just get through these dog dogs of February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 02:32 PM

2,650 posts, read 6,092,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Not a problem.. It's just not matter how you slice it, a relocation from 20 minutes outside NYC to W/S is a huge adjustment no matter how you slice it, you know?
Well yeah, if you're coming from a large city then I can see how you might feel like there's nothing to do. However, read on:

I love sports, I will definitely be attending the Wake Forest games.
Great sports value right here in our backyards.

I really like fine dining..What I notice is mostly chain restaurants out here.
You really need to give this some time. I have the completely opposite view--I like Winston in part because of all the great non-chain restaurants in the area. Places like Diamondback Grill, Senor Bravo, Milner's, Salem Tavern, Hutch & Harris Pub, Hero House, Athena Tavern, Rana Loca, the list goes on and on.

And I really like paintball.
Can't help with paintball as I don't play, but I do know there are some clubs around for it.

I have children and they like to go pick fruit.
There were a lot of orchards in NJ where you can go pick apples and strawberries. And during the fall we would go pick pumpkins at the patch.
Within an hour or less of Winston-Salem we have strawberries, peaches, cherries, apples, and many other fruits and vegetables (yes, including pumpkins, and even Christmas trees!) available for self-picking.

My family likes amusement/theme parks a lot. We would get season passes at Six Flags every summer. My oldest son is loves batting cages. I'm into paintball and fishing.
Carowinds is just over an hour away. There are lots of theme parks and kid-friendly activities in the mountains such as Tweetsie Railroad, Grandfather Mountain, gem mines, etc. There is a batting cage on Stratford Rd. in Winston-Salem. There are also a number of summer baseball camps and leagues in the area.

I like nightlife and lounges too. Also, one thing I am very hard pressed to find is a good sports bar, preferably one that will show all the NFL games.
There are lots of sports bars in town, e.g. Big Shotz (2 locations), Fox & Hound, J. Butler's, as well as chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Beef O'Brady's.

I like boutique, thrift stores and consignment shops very much. Especially for clothing.
Plenty of these around. Check out Reynolda Rd. near Hanes Park, or even one of the Goodwill stores. Thing is, Winston-Salem is a relatively affluent area, so you can find some real gems in consignment shops for sure.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:59 PM

68 posts, read 122,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I'm feeling almost overwhelmed by the lameness in this thread. Where does one even begin?

First of all, Macy's and Dillards are not high end, even here in the backwoods of NC. And besides, we have both of those stores here, so I suppose we're high end in Viper's view after all. Forget the specialty shops in the Arts district, or the fancy stores in Reynolda Village, or the boutique stores on Stratford Rd.--we got Dillards!

Second, someone who's been here a week has concluded there's nothing to do? I can think of plenty of things to do for people of all ages, and none of them involve hanging around shopping malls. If you are anywhere between being an infant and being dead, there are tons of things to do: Concerts, plays, golf, fishing, indy movies, hiking, biking, horseback riding, street festivals, winery tours, historic sites, Arts Crawl, baseball, college sports, hobby clubs, art classes...have you found something to do yet? No? Okay, how about a brewery tour, the Dixie Classic Fair, the circus, the Festival of Lights, the Barbecue Festival, the Air Show, the Steeplechase at Tanglewood, coffee at Krankies, shopping in the consignment stores, open air dining on 4th street, dance lessons, etc., etc., etc. Need more?

Richmond has 3 Dillards. And yes, Dillards is high end for most of backwoods North Carolina.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:11 PM

8,100 posts, read 5,003,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Hope this helps!
This def. helps... I will make a go of it!!

That's good to know a Fox & Hound is down here... There was one about 3 miles from where I used to live and it was a place I would frequent.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 AM

11 posts, read 20,730 times
I know that what is considered "high end" shopping will depend upon your point of view. That said, from my point of view I don't think the clothing shops in the GSO area can be considered high end. Like Hot_Handz, I moved to this area from NJ (and it my part of NJ, there was a mall everywhere-some with stores and stores that clearly catered to people at the higher end of the income scale.) There is a Macy's in GSO, but it is a small Macy's-not very much variety. I do not spend all of my time shopping (very little of my time in fact) but I have learned when I am looking for to shop for clothing, more than likely I will have to drive to the malls in the Triangle area or drive to Charlotte. While I do not have the funds to buy what some people would consider "high end" clothing ($800 for a simple dress, etc) I do like what I consider to be quality clothing in natural fibers (cotton, wool, silk, linen, etc.) as opposed to much of the clothing that I have seen in the local area department stores.

Yes, you can buy many things on line, but while your purchasing options might be greater, there is also the issue of not being able to try something on, not being able to see the exact color of the garment, etc.

There are advantages to living in this area, but I do miss Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor, Sak's, etc. I am resigned to the fact that when I need to shop for clothing, I will need to leave the GSO area or even the state of NC.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 AM

6,131 posts, read 6,446,138 times
You won't find stores like Neiman-Marcus, Tiffany, Sak's, etc. in the W-S and G'Boro area. The W-S and G'Boro area only has a very tiny percentage of residents that would likely buy from such high-end stores compared to other areas of the country. Forget about rankings for income figures or population - it is the actual number of high-earners and wealthy people living in a particular area that determines whether such high-end stores are located.

Another thing that is a good indicator of whether an area has a healthy number of high-end buyers is high-end vehicle dealerships in the area. If an area does not have 'individual' high-end dealerships for Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. then it's a good indicator that the locals cannot support high-end stores in the area. And for what it's worth, Foreign Cars Italia in G'boro, which specilizes mostly in pre-owned high-end vehicles, is the kind of outfit that caters to an area with very few high-end buyers.

Also, if you don't find a number of small regional airports with a large number of personal Gulfstream and Lear jets in an area it's yet another good indicator that very few of the locals would be high-end shoppers.

W-S and G'Boro are both medium size bucolic cities with residents that can only support Wal-Mart stores and the current low and mid-level shopping it currently already has. It's a long, long way from needing any kind of high-end shopping.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM

6,131 posts, read 6,446,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny J View Post
I am resigned to the fact that when I need to shop for clothing, I will need to leave the GSO area or even the state of NC.
Very true!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:39 PM

8,100 posts, read 5,003,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny J View Post
I know that what is considered "high end" shopping will depend upon your point of view. That said, from my point of view I don't think the clothing shops in the GSO area can be considered high end. Like Hot_Handz, I moved to this area from NJ (and it my part of NJ, there was a mall everywhere-some with stores and stores that clearly catered to people at the higher end of the income scale.) There is a Macy's in GSO, but it is a small Macy's-not very much variety. I do not spend all of my time shopping (very little of my time in fact) but I have learned when I am looking for to shop for clothing, more than likely I will have to drive to the malls in the Triangle area or drive to Charlotte. While I do not have the funds to buy what some people would consider "high end" clothing ($800 for a simple dress, etc) I do like what I consider to be quality clothing in natural fibers (cotton, wool, silk, linen, etc.) as opposed to much of the clothing that I have seen in the local area department stores.

Yes, you can buy many things on line, but while your purchasing options might be greater, there is also the issue of not being able to try something on, not being able to see the exact color of the garment, etc.

There are advantages to living in this area, but I do miss Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor, Sak's, etc. I am resigned to the fact that when I need to shop for clothing, I will need to leave the GSO area or even the state of NC.

Hi, fellow Jerseyan...

Yea, here is W/S Hanes Mall is a far cry from Short Hills or Garden State Mall

Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,316,830 times
IMO, all this just means is the general populous in Richmond lacks the imagination to do anything else other than shop.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM

11 posts, read 20,730 times
Here is a link to a story in today's News & Record about the struggles of Oak Hollow Mall. While this area may not have the the income to support "high end" stores, one of the reasons this mall may be struggling is that they are selling things that the local population does not want or need.

Other shopping centers prosper as Oak Hollow Mall struggles : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis (http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/02/11/article/other_shopping_centers_prosper_as_oak_hollow_mall_ struggles - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point