U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
You should have seen people bagging on Greensboro on the Maryland sports message board for the ACC tournament. Saying Greensboro was only Waffle Houses and Applebees, LMAO.

People in Maryland are in their own little world at times.
Probably because they were too afraid to try something outside of their own comfort zone so they went straight to the familiar. Their own fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbandits View Post
Triad population up 12% in decade | The Business Journal
I think viper was refering to the triad region for the 1.6 million. you're stats are low though. i still think that the post is accurate in that there is a large number of people in the triad and malls such as the shops at friendly tend to be on the upper end. i would hardly call the shops at friendly center backwoods north carolina. smh
Ah, I see now. I consider the triad just that, High Point, Greensboro, & Winston Salem as well as surrounding communities. Some of those counties are a stretch; (Montgomery?) and quite a few are very rural and sparsly populated. Actually nearly all are rural. Look at the censues and you'll see my numbers are not that far off, considering I was recalling from memory.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 AM

231 posts, read 610,013 times
For the past few decades, when one has said "Triad" it has been assumed that they are speaking of the Piedmont Triad region, which can have different definitions depending upon the source (Census Bureau, PTP, PTCOG, etc.). Silly enough that PTCOG doesn't even include Winston.
But yes, it is typically this 12-county region.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 PM

3,114 posts, read 4,143,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Hey y'all! I wuz just sittin' here in my bucolic office talkin' to the cows, and they told me about this thing rich folk use called the internets where you can look up stuff to see if it's true! So I used it to look up the median incomes of Richmond and Winston-Salem on their city-data pages, and lordy be, guess what? It ain't even close--Richmond = $36,900, and Winston-Salem = $39,808! And then I read (just barely cuz we ain't too educated around here) that 18.6% of Richmond people have a bachelor's degree, vs. 19.3% for Winston-Salem. I ain't too good with math, but I think that means we win.

And I even found out that both the Aston Martin/Ferrari/Mazerati/Porsche and the Lamborghini dealerships in nearby Greensboro actually have web pages, so any moron who knows how to use a browser could easily discover that these products are sold here in the Triad, right alongside the tractors, mule wagons, and horses we normally use for transportation around here.
hilarious

Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM

22 posts, read 30,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Friendly Center complex in Greensboro! We go through Greensboro every couple months and I LOVE to stop, walk around and shop. There's a nice Belks, Macys, Apple, Brooks Brothers, JCrew, Talbots, a Lilly Pulitzer store, Barnes & Noble, jewelry stores etc and nice restaurants, too.

Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro also has Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, etc., too, by the way.
I love it when people start talking about how there is nothing in W-S. Then citizens of W-S get defensive and say "Yeah thats in Greensboro" or "you can drive to Greensboro to that." Well thats Greensboro not W-S. You would not have to drive to Greensboro if W-S would step up so people would not have to leave and go elsewhere to look for work or anything else for that matter. I mean the Dixie Classic Fair comes once a year.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I've been out here for a week.. And Winston-Salem, IMO, lacks in pretty much anything to do.
Yep. I'm from there and you noticed it in 1 week. Sure am glad I don't live there anymore. Makes you a better person.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I'm feeling almost overwhelmed by the lameness in this thread. Where does one even begin?

First of all, Macy's and Dillards are not high end, even here in the backwoods of NC. And besides, we have both of those stores here, so I suppose we're high end in Viper's view after all. Forget the specialty shops in the Arts district, or the fancy stores in Reynolda Village, or the boutique stores on Stratford Rd.--we got Dillards!

Second, someone who's been here a week has concluded there's nothing to do? I can think of plenty of things to do for people of all ages, and none of them involve hanging around shopping malls. If you are anywhere between being an infant and being dead, there are tons of things to do: Concerts, plays, golf, fishing, indy movies, hiking, biking, horseback riding, street festivals, winery tours, historic sites, Arts Crawl, baseball, college sports, hobby clubs, art classes...have you found something to do yet? No? Okay, how about a brewery tour, the Dixie Classic Fair, the circus, the Festival of Lights, the Barbecue Festival, the Air Show, the Steeplechase at Tanglewood, coffee at Krankies, shopping in the consignment stores, open air dining on 4th street, dance lessons, etc., etc., etc. Need more?
You can walk, hike, etc anywhere you live. Most of the other things you mention occur once a season. Get real and face facts.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I guess some people cannot discern an opinion from a fact...

From my teachings, it was always understood that anything stated is an opinion unless explicitly stated as a fact.

That being said, I still clarified it with the "IMO"... So, I will take it a step further and mention that there is nothing to do here of interest, TO ME, at this rate at least. Seriously, the whole downtown, arts district and Old Salem can be toured in a day. Sure, there is stuff to do EVERYWHERE you go. How long before it gets boring? I can see myself having to venture more and more miles outside city limits to find things to do.

And please, do not misconstrue this as complaining. The phrase "nothing to do" is being used relatively here.
My point exactly. How many trips do you go to Reynolda Gardens?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
Hey everybody, 83mercury is back! He's the guy who has no beef against Winston-Salem (said so himself in another thread), yet for some reason he's compelled to dig up years-old threads to tell us how bad it is. I'm sure glad he came along, because here I was thinking I lived in a pretty nice city with plenty to do, but all the while I've apparently been doing nothing!

Thank you 83mercury guy, for your valuable insights. I'd love to read more of your comments, but I have to hurry home and sit on my couch.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM

7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times
"There's nothing to do" threads mystify me. Who the hell has all this time to get bored? And what is it that people are looking to do, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point