Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,790 times

Advertisements

It really is, i was stuck on wendover forever, was a sea of cars, As the population grows, more traffic issues occur i know, but today was ridiculous, it was not nearly as free flowing as it was on Battle ground, which as had traffic issues sorry for the rant, but that felt nearly as bad Charlotte, somewhat, (past charlotte resident) Has anyone else been having an issue with traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:52 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,126 times
Nope. Nothing like that. It was slow on Monday in the rain but it usually is.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:33 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
I still have to drive into VA for work everyday, so I haven't had to deal with Greensboro traffic, but I think if I do wind up getting a job closer into downtown or around Wendover I'll either find an alternate route (even if it takes longer to get home) or just wait for the traffic to thin out.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 AM

67 posts, read 134,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
It really is, i was stuck on wendover forever, was a sea of cars, As the population grows, more traffic issues occur i know, but today was ridiculous, it was not nearly as free flowing as it was on Battle ground, which as had traffic issues sorry for the rant, but that felt nearly as bad Charlotte, somewhat, (past charlotte resident) Has anyone else been having an issue with traffic?

I have experienced what you are talking about. Over the past 10 years I'd say it has gotten really bad.
I remember the only time you had to really expect bad traffic out on wendover was during christmas time.
Battleground and N. Elm have turned into bumper to bumper, wait 3 stop light cycles before you get your chance to go through the intersection type situations sometimes.
I know people have been moving here, but it seems like there are more cars on the road now than houses around. Maybe its VA and shoppers for other cities/towns around Greensboro?

But on the other hand it could just be that traffic has become slower all around because of slow starts at green lights by people on their cell phones...

Old 04-09-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1960 View Post
I have experienced what you are talking about. Over the past 10 years I'd say it has gotten really bad.
I remember the only time you had to really expect bad traffic out on wendover was during christmas time.
Battleground and N. Elm have turned into bumper to bumper, wait 3 stop light cycles before you get your chance to go through the intersection type situations sometimes.
I know people have been moving here, but it seems like there are more cars on the road now than houses around. Maybe its VA and shoppers for other cities/towns around Greensboro?

But on the other hand it could just be that traffic has become slower all around because of slow starts at green lights by people on their cell phones...
This is very true, i always used to think wendover was a massive road that could take the traffic, but it was backed up extremely bad, i think i sat there for about 20- 30 minutes before making it to the sheetz exit. even with a pop nearing 300 thousand, that was still way too ridiculous. you had people trying to get off the highway, but they were not able to, because cars were completely blocking the intersection, and no one could go anywhere. it seriously reminded me of much hated moments of traffic grid lock on independence in Charlotte... If they don't open up an alternate route, it's just going to get worse.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:43 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
We were going to retire to the Greensboro area (Summerfield to be exact) until we spent a week there looking at houses and quickly discoverd that the traffic in that area is just slightly less than where we were moving from in NJ
Decided not to move from one high traffic area to another so we traveled 100 miles south to the Sandhills where there is very little traffic.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
This is very true, i always used to think wendover was a massive road that could take the traffic, but it was backed up extremely bad, i think i sat there for about 20- 30 minutes before making it to the sheetz exit. even with a pop nearing 300 thousand, that was still way too ridiculous. you had people trying to get off the highway, but they were not able to, because cars were completely blocking the intersection, and no one could go anywhere. it seriously reminded me of much hated moments of traffic grid lock on independence in Charlotte... If they don't open up an alternate route, it's just going to get worse.
30 years ago, I can remember wanting to see more traffic...lol
The problem I see is the layout of the roads as well as people only utilizing the most 'popular' roads to get places. There are many 'short cuts' one could take, but people seem to take the most 'logical' routes.

In Greensboro, its all about the shortcut!

For example, Battleground is so bad, that im afraid to take an unprotected left into the Lowes parkinglot heading north, It would seem if you wanted to go to Lowes, you'd go Battleground right?
I started using Lawndale to get where I want to go on Battleground and just cut over.
Its so much faster and has 70% less traffic. (shhh!)

When you are on Wendover west, you are kind of forced to be on Wendover for long stretches with no side streets you could re route off.

Greensboro at this point is in desperate need of a Beltway of some sort to distribute the traffic more evenly. Not sure what ever happened to the proposed Painter Blvd loop.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 PM

I can admit though,And alot of die hard Greensboro residents might agree, it's Quite nice seeing alot of traffic, Gives it a nice busy city vibe and leaves behind that "old money, Old Greensboring" feel that i was getting 8 years ago..Complete with all the horn honking and bumper to bumper antics, Greensboro certainly is starting feel like it's becoming a major NC city, This is probably just the side effects, A Belt way would help immensely, but Wendover is a ridiculously popular road、Though you can't help but grin and smile when you see all the cars and different walks of life..Only major road i know that has alot less congestion is Guilford college, Although the intersection Over the train tracks, is usually backed up, it's alot better....Also i barely see anyone taking the new bridge over i40 to wendover.. What the heck? Got good roads and don't use them..

Yes you want to see your city grow, which is nice, but it does have it's adverse side effects..

And it was the same today, or slightly worse. I was able to do some car spotting as well lol.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:46 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
The traffic/safety issue is compounded on W. Wendover (particularly the stretch between Bridford Parkway and Business I-40/Stanley Road) due to poorly designed deceleration lanes that start and end abruptly into the side service roads of all the businesses, so it seems like you're having to constantly change lanes before making a turn hand alongside very heavy traffic in the next lane over or people coming quickly behind into your blind spot.

Northwest Greensboro always seems like a pain to navigate to me. It's a confusing maze of winding surface streets with lots of traffic lights and poor to no freeway access on that side of town so it takes a while to get from there to anywhere else in Greensboro (the Lake Jeanette area is a good example) let alone get on the highway to leave Greensboro. And roads in that area seem to have developed from a curvy maze of what seem like old farm roads that change names numerous times (such as N. Elm- Bass Chapel-Air Harbor, Lawndale-Lake Brandt-Old Battleground, and the maze around Fleming/Old Oak Ridge/Inman/Horse Pen Creek, etc. ). I image this would drive a Midwesterner who's used to numbered streets designed on a neat geometric grid mad.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-09-2014 at 07:57 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I can admit though,And alot of die hard Greensboro residents might agree, it's Quite nice seeing alot of traffic, Gives it a nice busy city vibe and leaves behind that "old money, Old Greensboring" feel that i was getting 8 years ago..Complete with all the horn honking and bumper to bumper antics, Greensboro certainly is starting feel like it's becoming a major NC city, This is probably just the side effects, A Belt way would help immensely, but Wendover is a ridiculously popular road、Though you can't help but grin and smile when you see all the cars and different walks of life..Only major road i know that has alot less congestion is Guilford college, Although the intersection Over the train tracks, is usually backed up, it's alot better....Also i barely see anyone taking the new bridge over i40 to wendover.. What the heck? Got good roads and don't use them..

Yes you want to see your city grow, which is nice, but it does have it's adverse side effects..

And it was the same today, or slightly worse. I was able to do some car spotting as well lol.
Yeah, I kind of like it too, some.
I was out West Market today, coming from wendover via Guilford College road.
I gotta say I'm impressed with all the revitalization out there on that end of market.
Kabob shops, Mexican Bakeries and Super G which I've know about.
I actually enjoy that certain old worn down parts of town are being revitalized by immigrants, like Market and High point road.
At least someone sees a use in these non trendy shopping areas.

I also agree with Jowel, NW gso is a Cluster!
Tiny Old Battleground feeding into Lake Brandt, around 5pm is just a mess, there is no other way to put it.
I was born in the midwest, but went to HS and took drivers ed here. There are just as many backwoods weird windy roads in the midwest as well, but sooner or later they end up on a grid system.

Not a lot of people realize that part of gso was going in the direction of a grid system early on. Out by Cone mills.
11th, 12th, 14th and 16th street, crossing Spruce, Hubbard , Cypress, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point