U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,115 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have a dilemma regarding a car. I had a 'falling out' with my best friend and as far as I am concerned, it is permanent. Anyway, she was storing her car in my parent's garage while she wasn't using it. Now, I would like to have that garage space available for another car. I have asked her to come get the car, but she says she doesn't have the money to repair it (some kind of carburetor trouble) or have it towed to her house, and doesn't have a place to put it. So basically she has refused - or she is waiting for me to pay to have it towed to her house across town, which I am not going to do. What are my options in this case? Should I put it out on the street and report it as an abandoned car? I really don't want to subject my neighbors to that. I don't know how long it would take for them to do anything about it anyway. It's been in my parent's garage for at least 6 months now. It wouldn't do any good to tell her I'm going to charge a storage fee - she would just laugh at me and tell me you can't get blood out of a turnip! She's unemployed, broke and has no motivation to get employed - which she could easily do - she's a nurse. I'll probably end up calling the DMV tomorrow, but I just thought I'd ask here first. Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 AM

13 posts, read 28,957 times
No need to put it in the street, call the city and report it abandonded. I called once, and I recall there was a 24 hr rule before they would come get it. I don't remember if it was 24 hrs total or 24 hrs from the the time you report it though.

Either way, they will tow it and impound it. Your friend would then be responsible for the tow and the impound/storage fee's if she ever wants to get it out of hock.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:35 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,052,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMM5 View Post
No need to put it in the street, call the city and report it abandonded. I called once, and I recall there was a 24 hr rule before they would come get it. I don't remember if it was 24 hrs total or 24 hrs from the the time you report it though.

Either way, they will tow it and impound it. Your friend would then be responsible for the tow and the impound/storage fee's if she ever wants to get it out of hock.
Yup, I've had to do the same thing, I would have much preferred not to have to go to all that trouble. Some people don't give you a lot of choice.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,258,484 times
Doesn't UNC-TV pick up cars from people for free as a way to help fund their programming?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,025,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Doesn't UNC-TV pick up cars from people for free as a way to help fund their programming?
I think they do have a program like that, although if it's like most car donation programs, the donor would need to have clear title of the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point