U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,438 times

Advertisements

looking for a great neighborhood for children that also has HIGH PERFORMING public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM

676 posts, read 2,803,577 times
Try Sherwood Forest, Buena Vista and Country Club area.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,876 times
I would echo enlightenme's advice. Pretty much anything in zip code 27104 has good schools. There are also good private schools within the city.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 10,836 times
Hi same here I may move to WS but I have no clue where to look for a nice neighborhood for hous or apprtment. I like country side.
is WS rednecky conservative or a a mix rep and Dem
thanks

Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 AM

56 posts, read 130,681 times
Us too! Thanks so much for posting this. Really would love info on WS area and if it is family-friendly. Looking for a small town USA feel with great schools and excellent healthcare. Beginning to wonder if this dream place exists. HA!

Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 AM

2,650 posts, read 6,091,081 times
Generally, the more desirable Forysth Co. schools are Reagan, West Forsyth, Mt. Tabor, and Reynolds. There are many other schools with very good programs and great kids, but I think most would include these four schools among the best overall. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of great neighborhoods that feed these schools, so it's hard to narrow that down without knowing what your needs are, price range, etc.

About the "rednecky conservative" question, the city is very diverse with all sorts of political leanings. With the medical center and major colleges here (and other factors), we have lots of different people moving in and out all the time, literally from all over the world. We have a large artsy crowd, who will usually be rather liberal in their outlook. We have a large white collar base, which may tend to be more conservative (at least in economic issues), with lots of blue-collars in the mix as well. We have very religious people (with about all major religions represented), and those who are not so religious.

I think the city is very progressive politically, but as you move out into the surrounding counties things become very conservative pretty quickly. It's always somewhat contradictory to me to live in such a progressive area, yet we end up being represented by quacks like Virginia Foxx. It's largely because the district includes rural counties that are much more conservative.

Anyway, I don't intend for this to become a "bash Foxx" or a liberal vs. conservative discussion--everyone has the right to believe what they want. I'm merely trying to help paint a picture of the political landscape in this area.

I do think Winston and surrounding area is a great place to live. Family-friendly, great schools, great health care, lots to do, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point