U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 PM

34 posts, read 121,504 times

Advertisements

What are people using in the Triad for TV and internet that might represent a savings over Time Warner's regular gouging?

Our Time Warner "bundle"--basic cable plus high-speed internet; I already cancelled the landline phone that we weren't using but was part of the original bundle--is going up in price again next month, and I'm trying to determine whether viable alternatives exist. The internet is a must, and maintaining access to the "standard" cable channels (i.e. no HBO, Showtime, and the like, but HGTV, A&E, Discovery, and others in addition to the NBC/CBS-type networds) would be nice; however, if push came to shove I'd be willing to consider downgrading the TV service in some way with fewer channels.

We are renting a house in Kernersville, so aren't really able to mount a dish or similar...although if that is the only alternative, I can check with the landlord to see whether the installation would be permissible, on our dime. Also, we have older TVs and would like to maintain them if possible rather than buying new equipment which might allow for more service options (although I'm a bit out of touch on what is what with equipment and service...). Watching TV via the internet is not ideal, but that also may be the only way to save....

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
When we moved to Greensboro we didn't bring our ever increasing satellite subscription with us. We are using the digital antenna + on demand video with really good sucess. Naturally we miss the extended channels, but are weaing ourselves of them.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,839 times
We dropped our Timewarner to the basic cable with high speed internet for about $44 a month. We have Netflix and a DVD player with internet access so we can now watch a lot of older shows and movies instantly on Netflix. It has been so much better this way! We still get our favorite shows on ABC and CBS, plus kid shows on PBS. We then watch older seasons of shows on Netflix instead of channel surfing. It may help that we also have an old TiVo so we record a lot of stuff too. Timewarner bugs me, but I feel like we are stuck and so far Netflix has saved us from feeling t.v. deprived!!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 957 times
I see this post was from 2011; yet, for me is still a question. Today, for basic cable and under 30mbps internet, I am paying 150.00/month!!! To me, this is outrageous! I am at the Guilford\Forsyth county line @ a Kernersville, NC mailing address. I do not want to mount a dish but would consider anything that is wireless if I had to do a VERY small dish. I'd really like to get fiber but am told that AT&T is in court regarding their fiber that is just down the street from me (darn!). Any ideas in today's environment would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,695,945 times
I have Apple TV and Roku. I pay $60 a month for wireless. Basic cable was $160 and had a bunch of sports channels that were useless to me.

AT&T sends people door to door to sell me on it and that creeps me out. I'm not buying anything from a stranger.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:12 AM

84 posts, read 191,269 times
Given that TWC is upping speeds next year here (they already have in Raleigh)- Sling TV + rabbitears might be a workable option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point