U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 AM

138 posts, read 367,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnichols2 View Post
vibrant/liberal or sleepy and conservative/suburban.
hmmm really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 AM

71 posts, read 115,978 times
Am I missing something?

Maybe conflating those pairs of traits is a a generalization, but you get what I mean. To most people,a "family-friendly" city translates into ultra-suburbanized acre+ lots where people don't share common any spaces, neighbors don't interact, and the only way to get human interaction is to set up a play date.

Would a family that requires an (urban-type) socially and culturally active lifestyle quickly become bored living in WS?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,084,360 times
You have (to me) a strange definition of "family-friendly". It has little to do with what type of house/lot you have. I have a single-family home, and I do not share space with anyone except for our neighborhood pool/recreation area. But that doesn't mean I don't interact with neighbors, and I rarely had to set up play dates for my kids.

I think family-friendly means:
--lots of other families with kids to play with;
--plenty of things to do for kids/families (like sports leagues, parks, music/arts, museums, festivals, etc.);
--great schools;
--safe for kids and adults;
--the vices are subtle or non-existent (topless bars, drug activity, etc.)

By my way of thinking, this area is extremely family-friendly. I suppose to you that implies "boring", but I think that's what you make of it. There are an incredible number of interesting things to do around here, so it's really a matter of seeking them out rather than sitting around being bored thinking about where you came from.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM

451 posts, read 1,687,381 times
I don't consider Winston Salem to be the middle of nowhere...Greensboro is only a half hour away, and it's a pretty good sized city as well. Charlotte is only an hour and a half away, and it has a lot of amenities. Best thing about Winston, in my opinion, is the relatively easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It could be done in a long day trip.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 PM

201 posts, read 519,243 times
You mentioned you don't like cold-well it is usually COLD here from end of November thru end of January and sometimes into March or April. This year it turned warm fast-it is in the low 80's today. The humidity is awful here. But we don't have to worry about hurricanes though we do have a lot of afternoon thunderstorms in the spring/summer months.

I think you should visit for a few days if possible. Nobody can possibly tell you what you need to "feel".

I have lived in W/S all my life and I love it though I sometimes yearn for a change. Never been to Tampa but visited Jacksonville and I thought the people there seemed a lot like the folks around here. Friendly and neighborly.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:08 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
You have (to me) a strange definition of "family-friendly". It has little to do with what type of house/lot you have. I have a single-family home, and I do not share space with anyone except for our neighborhood pool/recreation area. But that doesn't mean I don't interact with neighbors, and I rarely had to set up play dates for my kids.

I think family-friendly means:
--lots of other families with kids to play with;
--plenty of things to do for kids/families (like sports leagues, parks, music/arts, museums, festivals, etc.);
--great schools;
--safe for kids and adults;
--the vices are subtle or non-existent (topless bars, drug activity, etc.)

By my way of thinking, this area is extremely family-friendly. I suppose to you that implies "boring", but I think that's what you make of it. There are an incredible number of interesting things to do around here, so it's really a matter of seeking them out rather than sitting around being bored thinking about where you came from.
I actually live in the poster's definition of family friendly type of neighborhood. We have zero interaction with anyone around us and pretty much see no one. I live in North Davidson county in a neighborhood, but in 5 years have not talked to or really seen my neighbors. I am not the type to go knocking on doors, but we are in our front yard all the time playing with our kids and just get a wave as they drive by. We find it strange and isolating. All of my interactions with people are arranged and scheduled play dates. I have to drive 20 minutes to W-S for all of them too.

I agree with your comment, ' There are an incredible number of interesting things to do around here, so it's really a matter of seeking them out rather than sitting around being bored thinking about where you came from.' I seriously have to battle that on my lonely days out in the 'burbs. To be honest, the interesting things to do around here have felt played out in 5 years of doing them. I certainly agree this is a family friendly place and I would probably go into a deep depression if I went to college in W-S! It does not feel like a college town at all to me or a very fun place to be in your 20's and single. It is also a lot easier for me to make my lemonade out of lemons in the spring. The winter and summer months about kill me. I know I am a spoiled person with weather and I can see people from other states finding this weather to be mild, but from CA it is COLD and HUMID. I think if you are happy in Tampa, you may be rocking the boat coming out to W-S. A visit is definitely needed and I highly recommend renting first if you do decide to make the move.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,842 times
Actually, my wife and I just relocated to WS from Tampa on Friday. Kind of ironic. Anyways, we have been together for almost 8 years, and dont have kids (but we are trying). We lived in South Tampa, the epitome of trendy, urban, hip. I think that the big thing that drew us to Winston was the appeal of the smaller, but functioning city. By that I mean, WS has less people and less stress, but it still has some jobs and some of the things that you cant find in small towns (my wife is a nurse and can find work anywhere, I work in business and need to be in bigger cities). My research showed that the weather isnt bad. I couldnt take the heat anymore, so its definitely cooler. But its not new england. A few months of cold isnt that bad. And WS isnt in the middle of no where. You have Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro all within a 1.5 hour drive. Just my $0.02.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,888,275 times
WF/hospital is wonderful...other than that: WS is NO Tampa!!! (Love Tampa).....I am moving away from WS next month! If you are here for residency, ok...otherwise......

Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 AM

71 posts, read 115,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsegal2 View Post
Actually, my wife and I just relocated to WS from Tampa on Friday. Kind of ironic. Anyways, we have been together for almost 8 years, and dont have kids (but we are trying). We lived in South Tampa, the epitome of trendy, urban, hip. I think that the big thing that drew us to Winston was the appeal of the smaller, but functioning city. By that I mean, WS has less people and less stress, but it still has some jobs and some of the things that you cant find in small towns (my wife is a nurse and can find work anywhere, I work in business and need to be in bigger cities). My research showed that the weather isnt bad. I couldnt take the heat anymore, so its definitely cooler. But its not new england. A few months of cold isnt that bad. And WS isnt in the middle of no where. You have Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro all within a 1.5 hour drive. Just my $0.02.
Very interested in your situation. Would love to hear more.

My impressions of WS after one visit are the following:

It is an interesting town that has more to do than you'd expect for it's size. Some parts remind me of Portland, others remind me of Cleveland (smaller scale, though). The downtown is cute and quite liberal/trendy/artsy for being in the south... but it was really hard to tell whether it was all for show of if people actually treat it as a trendy vibrant and walkable area. On the day I was there, the shops and restaurants looked great but there was barely anyone walking around. The overbearing presence of "big tobacco" and "conservative wealth" is weird, and would take getting used to. It's biggest flaw, it seemed to me, was that for all of it's positives, it still can't escape a bit of a Napoleon complex. I think I'd get pretty sick of repeatedly hearing about how many companies (Hanes, Krispy Kreme) started there back in the day. Or about how it used to be the biggest city in NC. Or the furniture. Yadda Yada. Not trying to be snobby here, but I've lived in a town about this size previously and I know that these boilerplate factoids and advertisements are usually how people cover up clear deficiencies. Sort of a denial mechanism.

Being 1.5 hours from a respectable airport is a real problem to me. For me there is still a feeling of isolation in WS, and the sense that all of the "cool" places and activities might not be everything they're cracked up to be (i.e., good for realty magazines, but might get boring quick). WS wants to invest even more heavily in biomedical research and health care, and that's great, but I think the town is trying to go through a sort of very optimistic "revitalization/restructuring". I hope all of their dreams come true, I'm just not sure I want to be part of the experiment.

Just my thoughts. Please correct me if I'm wrong on these... I would love to get a more accurate viewpoint from folks who actually live there.

Last edited by jnichols2; 03-31-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,084,360 times
^ Wow, interesting that you could come to all those conclusions from one visit. How long were you here? I can agree with your first couple of sentences, but the rest seems like hogwash to me (I've lived here almost 18 years):

--"overbearing presence of big tobacco and conservative wealth"? I have no idea how you would say either is "overbearing". Yes, a large tobacco company is headquartered here. Honestly I don't see that they have much presence other than having a couple of buildings downtown. They pretty quietly go about their business, and they certainly don't control the city or anything close to it. And we do have some rich old people, but you hardly ever notice them unless you hang out at the blue-blood country clubs. What's overbearing about that?

--"Napoleon complex"? I completely disagree--I think this city is quite comfortable with who/what it is. It has a proud past and it's committed to building a bright future. IMO, Winston is not trying to be something it's not (as opposed to say, Charlotte, which wants to be "the next Atlanta"). I think Winston does want to grow and progress, but not at the expense of becoming a "big city". Many people live here precisely because it's not a big city. Where are you hearing about all the companies that started here "back in the day"? It's not like we have billboards or blaring TV commercials about it. I'm sure there are travel/visitor brochures with that kind of stuff, but how hard is it to just put them down and stop reading them?

Anyway, I think mlsegal2 nailed it. Winston has an awful lot going on for a city its size, and it's great for people who don't want to put up with big city life. Maybe we don't have 300 bars and lots of flashing lights, but we have quite a few cool places to hang out. We have excellent local restaurants--no, most aren't "cutting edge" like New York or San Fran, but they're a lot less expensive and you don't have to wait weeks to get on the reservation list. We have enough shopping to meet most all of our needs. Virtually no traffic problems at all. Lots of arts events, festivals, concerts, fairs, etc. ACC sports (and the tickets are pretty easy to get). We are just a few hours from the mountains and the coast. I could go on and on...

And blueheron, you are absolutely correct--Winston-Salem is not Tampa! Duh...who knew? I mean, they're only what, 800 miles apart? So I could see how someone could confuse the two. Thank you, Captain Obvious, for pointing out what anyone can clearly see on a map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point