U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM

231 posts, read 610,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnsea2 View Post
I find it interesting that you feel the need to so vigorously defend W-S, Arbyunc. Thou dost protest too much.
If W-S were so great, so many people would not be complaining.
Your point of view is just that. It is not everyones.
I think his point is that he believes Winston is just fine for a city of its size, and that those who are saying it's boring, etc. are basing their opinions on cities that aren't comparable. I think Winston is a bit boring, too. But I expect that of Winston, because it's a tiny town.

I don't go to Siler City and ask why I can't find a good Norwegian fusion sushi bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnsea2 View Post
I find it interesting that you feel the need to so vigorously defend W-S, Arbyunc. Thou dost protest too much.
If W-S were so great, so many people would not be complaining.
Your point of view is just that. It is not everyones.
Thanks for your comments. I don't feel the need to defend WS, as it stands pretty well on its own. I do feel the need to address what I feel are unfair criticisms, that's all.

Besides, who/where are these "so many" complaining people you're referring to? One or two people on a message board thread???

Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 PM

71 posts, read 115,988 times
FYI...

population of Tampa: 343,000
population of Berekely: 102,000
Madison: 235,000
Fort Collins: 138,000
Providence: 171,000
Boulder: 90,000
Santa Fe: 70,000

and on and on

Granted, the first 2 are part of larger metro areas, but even if I were confined to their city limits for 95% of the time, I would find them to be very interesting and nice places to live. So let's not assume that all the implied comparisons in this thread are unfair. The question I'm asking is how do you think WS stacks up to these and similar places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
No, I don't have a problem understanding that some people want more. I think what I have a problem with is someone assuming that a city the size of WS would be comparable to Chicago or San Diego. So if someone asks "I'm used to [insert big city name], will I like WS?", it seems to be an unfair question. As I said on the first page of this thread, WS is not a large city, so of course it won't be the same. But I would confidently say that WS can hold its own against any other similar-sized city.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:47 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Just out of curiosity, can anyone provide examples of cities of around 250k people or less, that do not have a beach, theme park, mountain, or some other major cultural/recreational/retail/economic engine within a 20-minute drive, but that have the level of fun & engaging entertainment options many of you seem to crave?
The ironic thing for me is W-S is the largest city I have ever lived in and I spent most of my life in a town of about 10K. I am probably just spoiled because I had more nature, mountains and beaches at my finger tips and could go to major cities easily for concerts and other entertainment. The other thing I noticed is in the smaller communities I lived if there was a university, there was a very strong college presence to the city. I see a lot of Wake Forest sports shirts, but not really the whole college town vibe I expected for a city with so many colleges. I am more in the family crowd, so maybe I am just not going to the same places. But, that didn't matter in the other towns I lived - you just saw students everywhere.

I guess finding your spot is a lot like dating - the chemistry doesn't always feel right to everyone and it is subjective. Going on that analogy W-S for me is like that person who sounds good on paper, but there isn't any chemistry or spark. If you stayed in the relationship it would be settling and to a friend in a dysfunctional relationship (Detroit!) seeing all of the good qualities, they would think you are nuts for wanting to end it. If I stayed in W-S long term I would feel like I was settling in an okay relationship, but without the passion I want to experience. I am really tired, so this probably doesn't make sense! I guess what I am trying to say is finding your perfect place to live is as challenging as finding your perfect mate and as personal in your preferences! There are lots of divorces and lots of people moving around the country for a reason....What works for me may not work for you...

Last edited by enlightenme; 04-06-2011 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
^ Now that's a great post, enlightenme. Thanks for summing it up nicely!

And jnichols, I've spent time in only one city on your list--Madison--so I can't speak to the others. Madison is a great city, with a huge college influence and a nice, compact downtown area. But it gets wicked cold up there. So, is it better than WS with it's obvious weather advantage? I don't know. Fact is there are pros and cons to all cities. Madison is lots of fun, but it's half a continent from any beach and mountains are far away too. Beautiful lakes up there, but they're difficult to enjoy when there's a foot of snow on the ground. Great beer heritage, but we have great beer here too. And the barbecue sucks up there.

Bottom line is, as ncsualum said, you really have to spend some time in a place before you pass judgment. Only you can decide if it's right for you.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM

54 posts, read 115,077 times
Don't forget the educational standards/achievement scores of an area before you move there with children. By that I mean, to compare the locations' scholastic achievement averages with ones you find acceptable. The best part of NC in that regard, based on achievement scores, is the Triangle area.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:02 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post

Far as things to do that's just a matter of preference, you may be happy with what is available and yes W-S has a good amount for a city it's size but the OP wants to know if it's going to be enough for them. Some people just want more. I think this is what you seem to have a hard time understanding, you keep looking at it from what you are happy with. I felt like most weeks W-S might have one or two unique events and if they weren't something I was interested in (many were too family oriented) then it was back to same ol usual suspects which gets old after a while.
This is my sentiments exactly. My complaints probably took a personal turn for the worse, but everything was more based personally towards the OP's feelings/concerns. I still feel pretty confident he/she would feel stale in W-S just by the concerns already expressed after a short visit. I also admire your efforts to live a fullfilled life as a single in W-S! I also think it would be a tough place to be single because it feels very family orientated and full of retirees.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:44 PM

Tampa: not comparable. On the coast, significantly larger population in the city, county and metro area (MSA is nearly twice the size of the Triad CMSA).
Berkeley: not comparable. On the coast, close to SF, college town.
Madison: somewhat comparable, except that UW alone probably has more students than every W-S college combined, including FTCC. It's a college town. W-S is not.
Fort Collins: also barely comparable, because it's also a college town, with a huge university.
Providence: not comparable, though it's also not a city anyone has described as "fun" or "exciting." You're aware it's an hour to Boston and 3 to NYC???
Boulder: barely comparable. Again, a college town with a huge university. Not to mention Boulder & Ft. Collins are both along the mountains, and Boulder is a short drive from Denver.
Santa Fe: I'm sure there are things to do there, but Santa Fe is not a city on most people's lists of places to visit or relocate to, with the possible exception of skiing (when was the last time you went skiing in Winston?).
Many people like to mention Greenville and Columbia, SC, which are valid comparisons, though neither really is any more exciting than Winston or Greensboro.
So, for the most part, this list definitely wins against Winston in a comparison of "things to do."

Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I see a lot of Wake Forest sports shirts, but not really the whole college town vibe I expected for a city with so many colleges. I am more in the family crowd, so maybe I am just not going to the same places. But, that didn't matter in the other towns I lived - you just saw students everywhere.
Wake is a tiny school on a suburban campus. I think its sports persona gives outsiders the impression that it's a much larger school than it is. This is not a college town. Sorry if the visitor brochures gave the wrong impression.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:59 PM

71 posts, read 115,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Tampa: not comparable. On the coast, significantly larger population in the city, county and metro area (MSA is nearly twice the size of the Triad CMSA).
Berkeley: not comparable. On the coast, close to SF, college town.
Madison: somewhat comparable, except that UW alone probably has more students than every W-S college combined, including FTCC. It's a college town. W-S is not.
Fort Collins: also barely comparable, because it's also a college town, with a huge university.
Providence: not comparable, though it's also not a city anyone has described as "fun" or "exciting." You're aware it's an hour to Boston and 3 to NYC???
Boulder: barely comparable. Again, a college town with a huge university. Not to mention Boulder & Ft. Collins are both along the mountains, and Boulder is a short drive from Denver.
Santa Fe: I'm sure there are things to do there, but Santa Fe is not a city on most people's lists of places to visit or relocate to, with the possible exception of skiing (when was the last time you went skiing in Winston?).
Many people like to mention Greenville and Columbia, SC, which are valid comparisons, though neither really is any more exciting than Winston or Greensboro.
So, for the most part, this list definitely wins against Winston in a comparison of "things to do."
Wow. I appreciate your honesty here. I think this may be the most telling post of all for me. Essentially, WS is only comparable to small towns in the middle of nowhere that don't have much to do. And WS is better than most of those. But as soon as you add something that is at all different (ie, a larger university, proximity to the beach, less than a 2 hour drive to a major city) then all bets are off.

WS's "sister cities" are places like Greensboro and Columbia? Yeesh. I actually thought more of it when I visited.

I guess my point earlier is that it should be OK to at least compare WS to these kinds of cities. If it gets blown away by them, then that certainly tells me something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point