U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:44 PM

231 posts, read 610,013 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that my description is only approaching this comparison from the perspective of the typical young person, who craves the sort of "action" that some of these commenters claim Winston lacks.
Not everyone sees the beach as anything to be excited about, for example. Personally, I would never run out of things to keep me entertained in a beach community of even 500 people.
But the sorts of activities that keep the average young person (16-36) entertained year-round are found to a much greater degree in large cities and areas that are near large cities, college towns, beach/mountain communities not overrun by retirees, etc. These things bring young people, who eventually bring enough demand for more things that attract more young people, and so on. Eventually, the area has the things such people desire, at a level that is sufficient to keep them around and keep others coming.

Last edited by olrac; 04-06-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 04:08 PM

302 posts, read 536,664 times
Please help
Here's the situation... My family (wife, 2 young kids) and I moved to Tampa 3 years ago and really have grown to like it. I've recently been offered a position at WakeForest NC. The thing is, the new job would be more secure and I'd be leaving a job that is increasingly on shaky ground here. I really don't want to leave, though. My family has become very comfortable; we love the weather (despite the heat) and our neighboorhood/part of town (which is pretty walkable, liberal, and friendly - a rarity in Florida).

So... I was hoping to get some input on the lifestyle differences between a place like Tampa and Winston-Salem. I guess I'm hoping to find folks that have made a move from Florida, or at least from a larger more urban environment to WS. Is this something I should consider doing, or would we be absolutely miserable?

Just to give you some additional info... we are pretty liberal, we value walkable areas, culture events, we're not that into pro sports, enjoy good restaurants, dislike the cold, like semi-urban areas (but find cities like NYC, boston, DC way too stressful), and value education. Given all of this you're probably thinking it's a miracle that we tolerate Tampa; but we also know how to make the best of things. The question is, would moving to NC be an improvement of the above, or a step down?

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...#ixzz1ImY9grzG
jnichols,
To address your OP...I live in Charlotte NC which has a population of 630,000, as opposed to Winston-Salem's 230,000, and have lived in both cities twice; so in regards to a population difference of around 400,000 people, I find that there is as much to do, or more for that matter that interests me, in Winston-Salem as there is in Charlotte. I'm sure that there is as difference in the types of people who are drawn to water and constant sunny weather in Tampa as compared to the varied seasons in Piedmont North Carolina. Winston-Salem is close to a major river if you like to canoe and several large lakes if you like to swim, ski, boat or fish, as well as being within an hours drive of the Blue Ridge Parkway and several mountains for other activities. My experiences in both Charlotte and Winston-Salem have been very different in my ability to meet people who have the same interests, with Winston-Salem winning out when it comes to things to do that interests me like the level and frequency of arts events at UNCSA, the museums, galleries, and the down-to-earth mentality of people in WS compared to the pretentiousness of people in Charlotte. The importance of job is priority number one, so if you have a great place to work, I'm sure you can find happiness in activities around you whereever you choose to live. To end...I think WS is fairly liberal for it's size, considering the presence of Wake, UNCSA, and the concentration of artists that live in the city, and that the weather is very favourable and there are great places to walk to address your concerns. There are also a growing number of restaurants, especially downtown, and life is most certainly not stressful, especially when it comes to the pace of life and the time spent in traffic. Hope this helps.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 3,614 times
I have lived in Tampa By for almost thirty years and hate it. Winston Salem sounds like heaven to me. I am an unemployed professional CPA accountant and can no longer stand living here. The crime, economy, cost of living, impossible to grow a lawn, fire ants, hurricanes, sink holes, insane conservative politics, horrible insanity...all nut cases end up here, favoritism for jobs, need to know Spanish, extreme heat and I could go on forever. My home has dropped in value so much that thought would be stuck here forever. After researching cost of living found the price of homes in Winston Salem very affordable and thank God looks like I could sell and move. Have no job lined up and guess what, it no longer matters to me. All that matters to me is four seasons, nice black top soil, dark green woods, seasons, hills and fresh water lakes. I do not want to grow old here in Florida. My soul brightens at just the thought of escape from this hell in Florida. I will get out of here if it is the last thing I do on this earth. I hope this answers your question about Tampa Bay compared to Winston Salem. And I have never even been to Winston Salem but did attend college in Wisconsin and am from Northern New Jersey so I can imagine what it is like. With a little luck will travel to NC soon and check the area out.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 PM

15,184 posts, read 31,120,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fellows View Post
I have lived in Tampa By for almost thirty years and hate it. Winston Salem sounds like heaven to me. I am an unemployed professional CPA accountant and can no longer stand living here. The crime, economy, cost of living, impossible to grow a lawn, fire ants, hurricanes, sink holes, insane conservative politics, horrible insanity...all nut cases end up here, favoritism for jobs, need to know Spanish, extreme heat and I could go on forever. My home has dropped in value so much that thought would be stuck here forever. After researching cost of living found the price of homes in Winston Salem very affordable and thank God looks like I could sell and move. Have no job lined up and guess what, it no longer matters to me. All that matters to me is four seasons, nice black top soil, dark green woods, seasons, hills and fresh water lakes. I do not want to grow old here in Florida. My soul brightens at just the thought of escape from this hell in Florida. I will get out of here if it is the last thing I do on this earth. I hope this answers your question about Tampa Bay compared to Winston Salem. And I have never even been to Winston Salem but did attend college in Wisconsin and am from Northern New Jersey so I can imagine what it is like. With a little luck will travel to NC soon and check the area out.
It's easy to like a place you have never actually been to.....I have found that very often in life the IDEA of something is better than the reality. Not saying WS isn't a nice place, it probably is, I have never been there either, just making a point that people need to research and visit thoroughly lest they find themselves in the very position they are trying to escape.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 AM

4 posts, read 3,614 times
Well said. Regarding my rant... well there was some venting going on. No doubt when I finally get up to Winston Salem and look around there will be some disappointment. I think as you get older and have lived in one area for 25 years or so the desire to move can become very strong. Well my latest idea is a cabin in eastern Kentucky. Maybe I will check out Ashville NC area as well.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 PM

12 posts, read 41,345 times
Smile Love Winston Salem

We live in Lancaster, Pa and are moving to Winston Salem when our house sells. We visited there in March for the weekend and totally fell in love with the city. The Ardmore area is soo beautiful and where we want to live. We thought the area was very much full of life and interesting. It really does depend on what you are looking for. You should move somewhere that is a better "fit" for you. If you found so many faults in one visit, you probably won't ever be happy there. I, on the other hand am coming from a place that pretty much relies on tourist who want to come and see the "Amish". Mostly rural and boring. We literally got our first Walmart about 10 or 11 years ago, and our first Target about 5 years ago. Not much going on around here. Winston Salem seems like a very "happenin" place to me. lol. Also, in Winston Salem, the drivers are sooo courteous to eachother. We were constantly amazed at how nice the other drivers were. They let us into traffic and a few times actually stopped so we could make a left turn even when they didn't need to. We felt very welcomed and happy the whole time we were there. People here are very aggressive and always in a hurry even though there isn't anywhere to go.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 683 times
Woops, probably too late, I think there was some misinformed advice in this thread. It's strange to see someone complaining about social aspects of Winston-Salem like meeting people based on a few years of commuting from Davidson County. Living in a more urban neighborhood like Ardmore or West End would probably give someone an entirely different view of the city. I personally left Winston-Salem because I like big cities, but I won't rule out going back after settling down. Looking at the needs of the OP:

Quote:
Just to give you some additional info... we are pretty liberal, we value walkable areas, culture events, we're not that into pro sports, enjoy good restaurants, dislike the cold, like semi-urban areas (but find cities like NYC, boston, DC way too stressful), and value education.
West End and Ardmore fit the bill pretty much exactly. More liberal pars of town, lots of eateries around both neighborhoods, you'd have no problem biking/walking to the hospital, and there are always walkers/joggers, particularly in Ardmore. In West End, it's a short walk to whatever's happening downtown. Both feed Reynolds High School which is a top school and have nice neighborhood parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point