Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Yve Yve started this thread

5 posts, read 30,377 times

Advertisements

I wanted to find out info on King and Danbury. I have a job opportunity to work recruiting and training foster parents in Stokes County. I'm an African American female and was wondering what life is like for minorities (racism or discrimination issues??). I live in Orlando now so it would be a change for me. Also is there a lesbian/gay community or is it pretty conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 09:13 AM

525 posts, read 2,114,969 times
Isn't Danbury in VA? I mean it isn't far, but it is another state. I know from a client that Danville is about to get a wood manufacturing plant for Ikea, so get ready for that area to start booming again.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 AM

7 posts, read 20,990 times
I will tell you this much, I have alot of family in King, NC. My mother's people are from there and I spent alot of time growing up there in the 60's and 70's. My ex-husband moved there and raised our children there between '97 & 2002.

When I was there it was very much your country town where the men got together at night at the local country store and played poker in the back all night. Worst kept secret in town.

Primarily white and alot of farming..growing tobacco for RJ Reynolds.

Nowadays you have Mexicans doing the work that the Whites won't do. Still not many Blacks. The ones that are there have lived there all their lives or got a good deal on a nice house and are employed by RJ Reynolds.

Reynolds is the biggest factory there. The town is small, not anything there. If you want anything you go to Winston-Salem which is roughly 20 miles away.

If you want the quiet life and know how to speak spanish, you will do alright there. If there is a gay community, you can bet that they are not advertising in any way, shape or form in King, NC. No offense.

Danbury won't be much better. Smaller though and more scenic. You are close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and it is much nicer and in some ways more remote.

If you have anything court related, Danbury is where you have to go if you live in King. And it is a drive there as well.

If I was a gay black female.......I would choose Danbury because Virginia is better than North Carolina and you have more going on in VA anyway. You would literally be on the VA line anyway.

NOTE: Danbury is in NC and Danville is in Virginia

Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM

525 posts, read 2,114,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveller View Post

ah yes. Thanks- my brain isn't firing on all cylinders today.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveller View Post
I will tell you this much, I have alot of family in King, NC. My mother's people are from there and I spent alot of time growing up there in the 60's and 70's. My ex-husband moved there and raised our children there between '97 & 2002.

When I was there it was very much your country town where the men got together at night at the local country store and played poker in the back all night. Worst kept secret in town.

Primarily white and alot of farming..growing tobacco for RJ Reynolds.

Nowadays you have Mexicans doing the work that the Whites won't do. Still not many Blacks. The ones that are there have lived there all their lives or got a good deal on a nice house and are employed by RJ Reynolds.

Reynolds is the biggest factory there. The town is small, not anything there. If you want anything you go to Winston-Salem which is roughly 20 miles away.

If you want the quiet life and know how to speak spanish, you will do alright there. If there is a gay community, you can bet that they are not advertising in any way, shape or form in King, NC. No offense.

Danbury won't be much better. Smaller though and more scenic. You are close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and it is much nicer and in some ways more remote.

If you have anything court related, Danbury is where you have to go if you live in King. And it is a drive there as well.

If I was a gay black female.......I would choose Danbury because Virginia is better than North Carolina and you have more going on in VA anyway. You would literally be on the VA line anyway.

Thanks Traveller. You say Danbury, NC is on the VA line. What is the closest VA major city?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:57 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 680,708 times
Default Where is Danbury?

I am a little confused by the above answers as to the geographic location of Danbury.

Danbury has been the "seat" of Stokes county since 1849, just slightly before the last time I visited there! It is about 30 miles northwest of Winston-Salem and south/southeast of Stuart, VA (think of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Mabry's Mill.) The Dan River flows near the town and there used to be a nice old historical lodge/inn still standing in the 1970's. Stokes County does border the Virginia/NC line, and while the post office may use Danbury for the address of residents of the county up towards the VA line, it is a ways (10 miles or so) fom Virginia. I do not remember Danbury even having a stoplight.

Danville, the city in Viriginia, is also on the Dan River, but further downstream (maybe 60 miles) and is at the crossroads of US 58 and US29. Lots of stoplights! The city does border the North Carolina line and is further to the east than Danbury, NC, as it is about 60 miles northeast of Greensboro, NC. This was the home of the now off-shore Dan River Textile Mills and the site of the crash of the "old 97" with Casey Jones as the steam engine locomotive engineer.

Hope this is correct and helps geographically place the town.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:06 PM

Just so everyone is clear, my question is about Danbury, NC and King, NC both are in Stokes County.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:57 AM

744 posts, read 1,305,323 times
King is actually right on the Stokes/Forsyth County border, part of the city limits goes into Forsyth County which is odd. The city is very connected to Winston-Salem which is literally right down the road.
From your questions, it sounds like King would be the better choice. Much closer to Winston-Salem(has a gay community) with direct access from US 52 which runs through town. It takes 10-15 minutes to get to downtown Winston from the King onramp. Contrary to some above comments, King has everything you could need, grocery stores, restaraunts, banks, and so on, even a YMCA. It's definitley not big, but just like any other American Suburb.

The majority of the town is White but there isnt any racism or hate from the people, at least none that I have ever witnessed while in town. Most of the people seem very friendly. I dont think you have anything to worry about with that.

Last edited by carolinablue; 11-17-2007 at 02:07 AM..

Old 11-17-2007, 04:54 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,256,987 times
City-Data page about Danbury:

Danbury, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 AM

5 posts, read 16,741 times
Stokes county in general I would consider full of rednecks. Most people are nice and are ok with an ethnic person living in their neighborhood. If you have any racism in the area the one place you can find it is Stokes county. I would consider living in Northern part of Forsyth county and commuting to Stokes county. It would only take you 10 minutes to get to King, a little further for Danbury. Not sure if you have kids or are plannnig on having kids, but the schools in Stokes are primarily white and Forsyth county schools have a much more diverse student body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point