U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 PM

3,149 posts, read 3,451,802 times

Advertisements

I really, really need to get a new sofa. I've decided I'd like to buy a very well-made, North Carolina-made sofa, but I really have no idea of what manufacturers are the best. I've heard that Broyhill and Drexel have things made in China now - true?

Maybe a smaller manufacturer?

Any and all recommendations welcome! I'd really like it to last as long as my current sofa (bought in 1999).

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 PM

22,063 posts, read 40,023,402 times
About all the big names are producing their furniture over seas.

Bob Timberlake used to be with Lexington Brands but Lexington wanted his brand to go over seas and he refused and separated, this is who I recommend.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM

95 posts, read 118,406 times
NorasMom - I'm also looking for a sofa, with the emphasis on excellent quality, made in US, and comfortable.

Here are the brands I'm looking at: Hancock and Moore, Baker, and another one (name I can't remember!). All are made in North Carolina. I think they cost a bit more, but I'm willing to pay for a long term investment.

I'm making a trip to Furnitureland South (near High Point) next week to start looking. All of my research has been on internet so far.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:04 PM

3,149 posts, read 3,451,802 times
Thanks !

I'm so afraid of buying something nice, only to have my dog mess it up ...

Old 04-01-2011, 11:07 PM

752 posts, read 727,615 times
Check Roomstore. I was told when I bought my bed (about two years ago) that a lot of their stuff was still US made, and was better quality than stuff made overseas. I was surprised--I figured it was ALL made in China now.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM

702 posts, read 826,582 times
Good up to Hickory to the Furniture Mall up there. They have a bunch of different ones up then.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 18,078 times
Taylor King & Sherrill. very good quality. 8-way hand tied, kiln-dried frame, selection of cushion options. US made.

Hancock & Moore for leather. Pricey but the best for a reason.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 AM

2,301 posts, read 3,259,074 times
Clayton-Marcus--very good quality, 8-way hand tied, wide selection of fabrics (you can even provide your own), and made right here in NC near Hickory.

There is still quite a lot of upholstered furniture made in the US. Due to the customization offered (primarily in the choice of fabrics), the wait times are too long if you have to ship it from China. So that's the one area that didn't suffer as much from the great migration. Wood furniture (case goods) wasn't so lucky. Since it is usually offered as a standard item with no customization, these items can be made well in advance and shipped to warehouses in the US. These days virtually all wooden furniture from major manufacturers is made overseas.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,074,244 times
Bradington-Young still makes a very good leather upholstery line second to Hancock Moore. BY does have one line from China but the rest is made in NC. Private msg me if you want the name of someone who is a rep for BY and can get better pricing.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 16,085 times
Don't forget that Bassett still makes theirs in Newton, NC and check the smaller (not Bassett home stores) for pricing and you should get a far better deal. Also lifetime warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point