U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,495 times

Advertisements

I recently signed a renewal lease at my apartment, but I've recently decided not to continue living there. The lease will not start until the first of April. Can the landlord legally hold me to this contract if it has not started yet?I live in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
The short answer is that yes you can get out of any lease but that will probably cost you something.
But if the tables were turned and the LL wanted to not rent to you for the next year...
would you want the LL to be held to the contract he signed?

The minimum responsibility you have would likely be the 30 days notice.
(in this case paying at least the April rent that will constitute that 30 days notice)

You can probably also be held responsible to pay all future rent until the LL's diligent effort to find a new tenant comes up with someone.

At least it's now spring which is the best time of year to find tenants.
If schools are involved though...

Call your LL and tell them whats going on. Most won't be complete Ogres about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point