U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:03 PM
JAS

570 posts, read 1,777,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014 View Post
Hey everyone. We are either leaving late tonight or early tomorrow morning for Greensboro. We are going to drive. The closing on our home in Summerfield is scheduled for Wed. afternoon. Unfortunately we won't be able to stay and visit all the great places you guys are mentioning because we have to get back to NY for my kids. Scheduling problems have forced us to close on Wed, Aug 30, but the moving truck can't be at my home in NY until Sept. 8. It is going to be such a tease to close on a brand new home, and then have to drive all the way back to NY for another week.
Anyway, I'm just really excited and had to share with someone. Thanks for listening.
Have a safe trip down ... and back up ... and then back down. Sounds like a couple of busy weeks for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 01:49 PM

36 posts, read 207,945 times
Default To jackie1014

Congrats on your move!! We drove too - took the "scenic" way - Route 29 from Northern VA - really pretty! Hope you have a safe trip!

Old 08-28-2006, 02:26 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,439,686 times
My friend's brother lived there while he was in Law School and absolutely loved it. He's back here now (NJ) and would love to go back. He came home with a little accent and everything...adorable!!

Old 08-28-2006, 02:50 PM

152 posts, read 441,283 times
Thanks for all the good wishes....
We will def. try Stameys when we go, but I have one silly question....please don't laugh, but what the heck is a "hushpuppy"? After reading the posts, I told my husband we have to try one when we get there, he asked me if we would like it, I told him I have no idea, lol.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:01 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,193,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014 View Post
Thanks for all the good wishes....
We will def. try Stameys when we go, but I have one silly question....please don't laugh, but what the heck is a "hushpuppy"? After reading the posts, I told my husband we have to try one when we get there, he asked me if we would like it, I told him I have no idea, lol.

I'm not going to say what they look like to me. I'll get in trouble

Basically, they are deep fried corn bread; usually with an oniony taste; they come in many ... erm ... shapes. I love 'em; have had them all my life. Some of the foods people claim are unique to the South (grits) are actually found in other parts of the country. Hush puppies have to be fried in just a certain way, or they'll end up being too hard. You can find them in the frozen foods section of grocery stores, if you want to take some back to give others who haven't had the the experience of eating them.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:26 PM

Thanks Silverwing, I am going to try some when we get there. In that picture, they look like tatertots.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:36 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,899,490 times
I love hush puppies! Of course, I grew up eating them when I lived on the coast. I usually only eat them when we take a trip to the coast. The seafood restaurant that's closest to my house has that oniony flavor in their hush puppies and I don't like it. Blech! But the ones we get when we go to the beach are great. No onion flavor.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:45 PM

463 posts, read 1,519,876 times
Default My Stamey's Rating

If you're looking for upscale ambience you won't find it there. If you're looking for GREAT North Carolina barbecue, you will. The best I've had in years. The unique flavor is from the wood smoking. It's tender and delicious.

The hushpuppies are also really, really, good. Homemade on site. ( A little oniony flavor, Niki, but definitely not too much)

The cobbler was excellent. DH had the peach, I had the strawberrry. ( No cherry today)

All in all, I give it a thumbs UP! Thanks for the prompt, Lillie. Much enjoyed!

Regards,

Cassie

Old 09-02-2006, 10:07 PM

Well, we left for NC early Tues morning, closed on Wed, and drove back to NY Thurs before Ernesto came to town. We were so tired we didn't get to do anything we had planned, but we did eat dinner at Elizabeth's in Oak Ridge on Wed night. YUM.
The moving truck will be here on Fri. Sept. 8th, and we are leaving Sat. morning. The moving company said they will be there on Tuesday, the latest. I don't really know what we are going to do with ourselves between Sat and Tues, but I guess we will just have to find those hushpuppies. Thanks again for all the good wishes, I'm sending them right back out to y'all

Old 09-03-2006, 07:37 PM

212 posts, read 989,640 times
Congrats on the purchase of your new home, neighbors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point