U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:14 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,765,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014 View Post
Well, we left for NC early Tues morning, closed on Wed, and drove back to NY Thurs before Ernesto came to town. We were so tired we didn't get to do anything we had planned, but we did eat dinner at Elizabeth's in Oak Ridge on Wed night. YUM.
The moving truck will be here on Fri. Sept. 8th, and we are leaving Sat. morning. The moving company said they will be there on Tuesday, the latest. I don't really know what we are going to do with ourselves between Sat and Tues, but I guess we will just have to find those hushpuppies. Thanks again for all the good wishes, I'm sending them right back out to y'all

All I have to say is WOW. Seems like a whirwind. We did something similar, accept the family flew down, I drove, flew back to Boston to tie up loose ends, flew back to charlotte to close, flew back to boston the next day to meet the movers (tommorow). But I'm impressed driving both ways...WOW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 07:18 AM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,776,146 times
Default elizabeth's

Quote:
We were so tired we didn't get to do anything we had planned, but we did eat dinner at Elizabeth's in Oak Ridge on Wed night. YUM.
I brought home a pizza from Elizabeth's at Oak Ridge on Tuesday evening (missed you by a night), and my wife and I will probably eat there next Saturday evening w/o child.

There are some surprisingly good restaurants in that shopping center. The Chinese take-out is very good in my opinion (especially when the owner is there). Excellent pastries at the French cafe.

Not too many shopping centers in semi-rural NC have quality Italian, Chinese, French, Japanese, and Mexican places. Key word being "quality".

Old 09-04-2006, 09:54 AM

463 posts, read 1,519,202 times
Default Oak Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
I brought home a pizza from Elizabeth's at Oak Ridge on Tuesday evening (missed you by a night), and my wife and I will probably eat there next Saturday evening w/o child.

There are some surprisingly good restaurants in that shopping center. The Chinese take-out is very good in my opinion (especially when the owner is there). Excellent pastries at the French cafe.

Not too many shopping centers in semi-rural NC have quality Italian, Chinese, French, Japanese, and Mexican places. Key word being "quality".
We picked up an Elizabeth's pizza Thursday night. You're right about the uniquess of the shopping center, JAS, for the area. The pastry store owner is from France. Was a pastry chef for years at Ganache in Greensboro before opening the Oak Ridge cafe. We frequent the nail salon, (or rather, I do) the Lowe's food store, the Mailboxes and More. I love the Lighthouse Candle store (the most fragrant and longlasting candles I've ever found) and a few other of the shops there. The Tractor Supply store across the street is also good. We buy our dog food (they carry some premium lines) and some of our horse and gardening supplies there. Oak Ridge has managed to attract some great small businesses.

Cassie

Old 09-04-2006, 09:41 PM

152 posts, read 441,102 times
Miker2069 - Wow. You must be exhausted from all that flying. (Do your arms hurt? heehee, couldn't resist) Seriously though, driving or flying, it's all exhausting. Congrats on the new house. Good Luck with everything.

JAS & Cassie - Thanks for the info. It's so strange that I have a visual of the stores that you're writing about. I feel like I've known it forever.
We've been packing day and night and it feels like we'll never be done.
Am looking forward to Saturday and the long 10 hr drive with 4 kids believe it or not!!! Thanks again.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:37 PM

463 posts, read 1,519,202 times
Quote:
Am looking forward to Saturday and the long 10 hr drive with 4 kids believe it or not!!!
Okay Jackie, it's Sunday. Hope your 10 hour trip yesterday went well. Your computer probably isn't set up yet, but when you see this:

WELCOME TO NORTH CAROLINA!!!

Regards,

Cassie

Old 09-10-2006, 07:34 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,902,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
I love hush puppies! Of course, I grew up eating them when I lived on the coast. I usually only eat them when we take a trip to the coast. The seafood restaurant that's closest to my house has that oniony flavor in their hush puppies and I don't like it. Blech! But the ones we get when we go to the beach are great. No onion flavor.
They have them without onion flavor? I hate that onion flavor too. They look so good but I don't like the taste because I don't like onions.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,897,352 times
Yes. When we go to Southport and Oak Island, there are a couple seafood places we like to eat at that have good hush puppies. Ship's Chandler (which I think changed its name this year to Cape Fear Restaurant) at Waterfront Park in Southport and Jones' Seafood on Oak Island. The last time we went to Jones Seafood, they served cinnamon butter with their hush puppies. Oh my word! They were so delicious. lol

Old 09-18-2006, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 18,715 times
I just joined thanks to this thread. Welcome to the area, Jackie. I live near Oak Ridge Commons too and just moved to the area in November 2005. Elizabeth's is terrific; so is Rio Grande!

Yoga classes are harder to find, in my experience, so The Yoga Workshop is all too convenient for me as well.

And yes, the Wendy's is more expensive in Oak Ridge than in G'boro or Kernersville. lol

Old 09-18-2006, 07:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,384,733 times
Default Greensboro is Good Choice

I work in geography/demographics and do studies on the nation's 235 metro areas, small towns, and retirement areas. We live in the Charlotte area (Concord), an hour south of Greensboro. My wife was raised in the Greensboro area, and her family still lives there. It's a great area. You should really enjoy raising a family there. NC has soooooooo many great areas in which to live. If it's large metros (Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro), smaller metros (Asheville), small towns (Mt. Airy, Elizabeth City), or retirement areas (Boone/Blowing Rock, Pinehurst/Southern Pines), you just can't go wrong. All the areas/towns I listed are nationally ranked in quality-of-life. Once you get here, you need to visit Mt. Airy (about 60 miles to the NW of Greensboro). It's where Andy Griffith was raised, and the town of Mayberry was modeled after. It's one of the most charming little towns you'll ever see anywhere and they really embrace the Mayberry feel. Places you hear about on the show like the Blue Bird Dinner, Floyd's Barber Shop, and Wally's Service Station are actual places that exsisted long before the show ever aired. We visit regularly and just love it. Anyway, sorry for rambling!! Hope your move goes well!!!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 02:12 PM

143 posts, read 443,711 times
Welcome to NC! We landed at the end of May and we have certainly not regretted the move, though I do miss a lot of my friends that 50 years of living in an area creates.

I have found hushpuppies great even though I am pretty sensitive to onion flavour. At least with Smithfield's and Hursey's it isn't too strong. They remind me of clam fritters without the clams.

I have to get back to GSO more often -- we are about 30 miles east and frequently find ourselves going to Southpoint, Burlington or Chapel Hill. We did go to downtown Greensboro and I think we need to go back. Any town or city that has one of its major streets named "Friendly" definitely needs to be checked out more and I have found that Greensboro lives up to that reputation. In fact, it was the first place I ever visited here when we still lived in Mass. and I fell in love with the area.

If you go downtown, check out Elm St. and if you're hankering for microbrews, check out Nattie Green's!

We decided that we wanted to live in a smaller town and so are in Mebane, which is midway between Durham and Greensboro. We have the best of both worlds here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point