Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 05:58 AM

25 posts, read 111,825 times

Advertisements

I am interested in relocating from Long Island and had been checking out the Charlotte area until I found some good job possibilities in the Greensboro area. I haven't heard as much buzz about this area and I was wondering how does it compare to the Charlotte area? I understand it is a smaller city but is it less developed? Is it a nice area to live/work? ANY comments would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,864 times
Default Gso

I would avoid High Point (except for north High Point), especially if you have children in public schools. HP schools are notoriously bad.

I like Greensboro since it isn't as congested as Charlotte and parts of the Raleigh/Durham area. It's not a "hot" area compared to Charlotte and Raleigh, but because of that real estate is generally cheaper than those cities.

It's a great place to raise a family, and there are enough things to keep younger, single people busy and interested. It doesn't have the culture scene of a NYC, but neither do Charlotte and Raleigh.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:22 AM

463 posts, read 1,650,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm0630 View Post
I am interested in relocating from Long Island and had been checking out the Charlotte area until I found some good job possibilities in the Greensboro area. I haven't heard as much buzz about this area and I was wondering how does it compare to the Charlotte area? I understand it is a smaller city but is it less developed? Is it a nice area to live/work? ANY comments would be appreciated! Thanks!!
I like Greensboro, don't much care for High Point. It's an okay place to visit but I wouldn't wanna live there. Charlotte/ Meck is a huge metro area. Greensboro is not. It has everything we need, though. I think it's a very nice place in which to live and work but that may be a matter of perception. Others may find it too slow and too lacking in some things compared to what they are used to. I kinda like it that GSO doesn't have all the buzz going on about it that Charlotte does My best suggestion is to visit both places and see what you think.

Regards,

Cassie

Old 09-13-2006, 09:37 AM

40 posts, read 160,686 times
Very well put, JAS and Cassie!
I love the feel of the Triad. There is a warm, "homey" feel here. Greensboro is laid back, but traffic can get pretty bad and congested on Wendover and Battleground avenues.
I think a big plus for Greensboro is it's lower cost of living/housing and the fact that we have some very nice parks........Battleground Military Park, Botanical Gardens, Bog Garden.
The topography/lush vegetation/trees here are beautiful also.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:31 PM

463 posts, read 1,650,851 times
Default in the Triad

Welcome. It's nice to have another Triad dweller aboard. Hubby and I think it's pretty special here too.

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetriad View Post
Very well put, JAS and Cassie!
I love the feel of the Triad. There is a warm, "homey" feel here. Greensboro is laid back, but traffic can get pretty bad and congested on Wendover and Battleground avenues. I think a big plus for Greensboro is it's lower cost of living/housing and the fact that we have some very nice parks........Battleground Military Park, Botanical Gardens, Bog Garden.
The topography/lush vegetation/trees here are beautiful also.

Last edited by Cassie; 09-13-2006 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: punctuation, space, additional thought.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Welcome. It's nice to have another Triad dweller aboard. Hubby and I think it's pretty special here too.

Regards,

Cassie
Ditto and thanks.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 PM

60 posts, read 303,514 times
I've never been a huge fan of the Triad. It's fairly conservative overall which doesn't really fit me. The Raleigh area is a good mix though so I feel more at home here. I have spent a lot of time in Winston and High Point. Went to HPU for a short time before transferring to NCSU. Also half of my family lives near Winston, so I am there every so often. If I had to live in the Triad it would be in Greensboro, as it is the bigger of the cities and definitely has more of that city feel to it. Real estate is dirt cheap there too but it can also be hard to sell if you have to move.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:46 PM

25 posts, read 111,825 times
Thank you all so much for your help and input, I appreciate it!!

Old 09-13-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm0630 View Post
Thank you all so much for your help and input, I appreciate it!!
Sure thing
The Triad has more of a "real" feel compared to the booming Triangle and Charlotte areas. We are growing, but not booming like the before mentioned metros. But it is more "NC", imo

Old 09-13-2006, 09:51 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
I too live in Greensboro and agree with what has been said here. I love living here. It's NC's third largest city, but even with a few busy areas it still has that small, down home feel to it. You can live in a small town outside of Greensboro and still get to it in a decent amount of time.

All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point