U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 03:17 PM

36 posts, read 209,141 times

Advertisements

I posted several weeks ago that we were thinking about moving to NC or KY next year and were considering Greensboro along with Raleigh, Lexington, and Louisville. Well, we visited Greensboro and LOVED it!!! It is now at the top of our list! I wanted to thank all of the people on this forum who gave us so many helpful tips - JAS, Niki, exjerseyite, and Anonymous!! We checked out neighborhoods in 27410 - liked the area around "The Bog" park - also liked Adams Farm in 27407 and some areas in 27455. The shopping is great - Four Seasons Mall is beautiful and The Friendly Center is enormous! I know in my original post I was very concerned about crime. The only thing we read in the paper while we were there was a front page story about a rash of eight robberies on the NW and W side. We assumed that this is an anomaly since it was featured so prominently on the front page and not buried in the "metro" section.( did they ever catch the robbers?! ) Anyway, we absolutely adored Greensboro - it is a beautiful city, filled with true Southern hospitality and charm!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 PM

463 posts, read 1,531,624 times
Default Lillie's Trip To Greensboro

Yayyy!

Hope to be able to say "howdy, neighbor" and have ya'll over for a mess o' fried catfish and hushpuppies next year.

Doesn't sound like you got a chance to visit the old Guilford Mill in Oak Ridge (historic but also functioning civil war era mill that still uses the old timey stone grinders) but they have the best hush puppy mix I have ever found anywhere. Better than making it from scratch even.

So glad that you enjoyed your trip!

Cassie... over in Rockingham county on the NW side of Greensboro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie View Post
I posted several weeks ago that we were thinking about moving to NC or KY next year and were considering Greensboro along with Raleigh, Lexington, and Louisville. Well, we visited Greensboro and LOVED it!!! It is now at the top of our list! I wanted to thank all of the people on this forum who gave us so many helpful tips - JAS, Niki, exjerseyite, and Anonymous!! We checked out neighborhoods in 27410 - liked the area around "The Bog" park - also liked Adams Farm in 27407 and some areas in 27455. The shopping is great - Four Seasons Mall is beautiful and The Friendly Center is enormous! I know in my original post I was very concerned about crime. The only thing we read in the paper while we were there was a front page story about a rash of eight robberies on the NW and W side. We assumed that this is an anomaly since it was featured so prominently on the front page and not buried in the "metro" section.( did they ever catch the robbers?! ) Anyway, we absolutely adored Greensboro - it is a beautiful city, filled with true Southern hospitality and charm!!

Last edited by Cassie; 08-26-2006 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-26-2006, 04:56 PM
JAS

579 posts, read 1,806,822 times
Default Gso

Glad you enjoyed it. There are so many great nature trails and parks in GSO - Bog Garden, Bicentennial Gardens across the street, Guilford Courthouse Park, Bur-Mil, etc etc

Some people don't like GSO for various reasons, but I love the slower pace and the friendliness of the people - not to mention the beauty of the land in this area (and proximity to the mountains).

Welcome to the G !

Old 08-26-2006, 06:26 PM

Default To Cassie

Thanks for your lovely post!! We DID visit the Guilford Mill!! Bought the yellow grits mix and the corn muffin one - we'll be sure to get the hushpuppy mix the next time!! We had the BEST hushpuppies at "Stamey's" - also really good cherry cobbler!

Old 08-26-2006, 06:32 PM

Default To JAS

Thanks for your post! We visited all of the parks you mentioned except the last - Bir-Mil. We especially liked the Bicentennial Park and Guilford Courthouse. The drive up to the Guilford Mill was very pretty - as was the Mill itself. We were just completely "taken" with the whole area!!

Old 08-26-2006, 06:35 PM
JAS

579 posts, read 1,806,822 times
Default Guilford Mill

Quote:
Thanks for your post! We visited all of the parks you mentioned except the last - Bir-Mil. We especially liked the Bicentennial Park and Guilford Courthouse. The drive up to the Guilford Mill was very pretty - as was the Mill itself. We were just completely "taken" with the whole area!!
FYI, I live a couple miles north of the Mill.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:35 PM

Default To JAS

Oops!! Typed too fast - meant BUR-Mil!!

Old 08-26-2006, 06:40 PM

Default To JAS

The area around the Mill is SO beautiful! And you're close to an endless supply of grits, muffins, hushpuppies, etc.!!

Old 08-26-2006, 11:54 PM
SMW

20 posts, read 63,335 times
Lillie - Thank you for posting. I am looking to move to Greensboro and have been researching the same zip code areas you went to. I was thrilled to read that it lived up to your expectations, and I appreciate the perspective of someone on the outside looking in as I am. If the people of Greensboro are anything like some of the forum posters from that area are, I think we'll be fine there. (You know who all you nice, helpful people are )

Old 08-27-2006, 01:54 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,935,276 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm so glad you liked it here. And I'm glad I was of some help to you. I too love shopping at Four Seasons and Friendly Center. I hope y'all find a great home in a great area.

All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point