U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 AM

231 posts, read 610,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yeah we do.
In the same way that your right to throw a punch ends at my nose...
My right to blast noise and offensive lyrics ends at your eardrums.

The problem is what can be done about it. To date... not much at all.
It appears that only a few towns in NC have any actual statutes or even objective standards to TRY to apply against the problem.

The last thing I'd want to see is a nannyism approach to anything...
but being offended or just annoyed is a reasonable basis to WANT to do something.

OP: have you talked to YOUR neighbor?
Noise, yes. "Offensive" lyrics, no.
Who gets to decide what is offensive? I've heard countless songs and have yet to find a single one that contains even one "offensive" lyric. What kind of person can be offended by words? Certainly not the sort that I would ever want to have any say in the writing of laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 PM

138 posts, read 367,416 times
Quote:
OP: have you talked to YOUR neighbor?
Actually yes I have talked to them on two seperate occasions and never again. The first time, 4 summers ago, I asked them to please turn down the music (it wasn't explicit lyrics, it was just loud that time) because my infant was sick and the noice and vibration from their music was shaking my house. I was very polite, so were they, and they turned it down. When I walked back across the street they immediately cranked it up louder than originally and when I turned around everyone at the house flipped me the bird and laughed.

The next time was last year and they were blasting the music at around 2am on a weeknight. I went over and knocked on the door, and asked them again (calmly and politely) to please turn it down. I was told to get the F off of their property. I called the cops that time who took care of it.

I won't talk to them again, it wouldn't do any good.

BTW, Very good timing on this post, they were at it again on Sunday. Playing horrible music (F this and F that, singing about "raping bi***es", etc) So I packed my daughter's bike in the truck and went elsewhere to teach her to ride a bicycle. I don't want a Nanny State approach, but there is a thing called common sense and common decency.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM

28,508 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Noise, yes. "Offensive" lyrics, no.
A suggestion for the next 4 year olds birthday party you go to:

YouTube - ‪Nwa - **** tha police‬‏

Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM

231 posts, read 610,881 times
Quote:
A suggestion for the next 4 year olds birthday party you go to:

YouTube - ‪Nwa - **** tha police‬‏
Ah... Yes...
I remember when I bought that CD. Must've been 8 or 9, not 4. Was definitely in heavy rotation on my stereo. Quite loud at that age, too, though not at late hours when it would defy noise ordinances.
It is a classic. Haven't listened in a while. Should crank it up when I get home tonight. Thanks for the memories!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 2,021,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Um... No. You're incorrect. You don't get to decide what other people find offensive.
I stand by what I said. And I could care less what kind of offensiveness or stupidity people want to listen to inside their homes, where it's not disturbing their neighbors. It's when it's shaking a person's house at 2 o'clock in the morning that it crosses the line, and restricts the neighbor's freedom of quiet enjoyment, and the type of clientele who are doing that, just as I suspected, and the original poster confirmed, could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point