U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,311,001 times
Reputation: 8896

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryhappy View Post
Is there something wrong with busing?
Personally I think the concept is ridiculous and is probably the biggest drain on a school system's budget. As kid I was bussed everywhere, some rides were reasonably short while other were absurdly long. Especially when there were schools much closer than the one I (we) were being bussed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 PM
 
87 posts, read 108,713 times
Reputation: 59
Thank you! The answer i was looking for!

UOTE=java323;18727688]Hi Molly,
I am a parent of GCS elementary age kids. To answer your question, Irving Park and Fisher Park are the most affluent neighborhoods in Greensboro where the majority of kids are sent to private schools. Also, students from surrounding low-performing public schools are allowed to opt-out of their assigned schools, and attend better performing schools. Since they implemented this system, all the schools that accept "opt-out" students have had a significant drop in test scores...my kids go to one of these schools. The test scores used to be phenomenal, which was one of the reasons why we chose to move where we did...but now the scores are average to below average. It's very frustrating as a parent. We tried enrolling in magnet schools, but didn't get chosen in the lottery.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 03:16 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by java323 View Post
Hi Molly,
I am a parent of GCS elementary age kids. To answer your question, Irving Park and Fisher Park are the most affluent neighborhoods in Greensboro where the majority of kids are sent to private schools. Also, students from surrounding low-performing public schools are allowed to opt-out of their assigned schools, and attend better performing schools. Since they implemented this system, all the schools that accept "opt-out" students have had a significant drop in test scores...my kids go to one of these schools. The test scores used to be phenomenal, which was one of the reasons why we chose to move where we did...but now the scores are average to below average. It's very frustrating as a parent. We tried enrolling in magnet schools, but didn't get chosen in the lottery.
Have the average to below average test scores affecting your children in some negative way? Have the lower test scores caused the teachers/staff to become less caring and effective? I'm confused as to why the test results are frustrating to you as a parent if they don't have anything to do with your children...

I totally agree with olrac...test scores have little to do with the effectiveness of the teachers and of the school in general. Test scores can be affected by any number of factors that have nothing to do with how "good" the school actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
 
31 posts, read 34,550 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Have the average to below average test scores affecting your children in some negative way? Have the lower test scores caused the teachers/staff to become less caring and effective? I'm confused as to why the test results are frustrating to you as a parent if they don't have anything to do with your children...

I totally agree with olrac...test scores have little to do with the effectiveness of the teachers and of the school in general. Test scores can be affected by any number of factors that have nothing to do with how "good" the school actually is.

It's frustrating because as a parent you watch your neighborhood school go from 80s-90s in proficiency tests, to 60s and 70s in a matter of 4 years. Obviously something is changing and not for the better. Would I rather have my child be in a class where 80 - 90% of his classmates can read at grade level or be with a class where only half can read at grade level and the teacher has to play catch-up all year, with increasingly limited resources? How is my frustration confusing to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
 
31 posts, read 34,550 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyNyC View Post
Thank you! The answer i was looking for!

UOTE=java323;18727688]Hi Molly,
I am a parent of GCS elementary age kids. To answer your question, Irving Park and Fisher Park are the most affluent neighborhoods in Greensboro where the majority of kids are sent to private schools. Also, students from surrounding low-performing public schools are allowed to opt-out of their assigned schools, and attend better performing schools. Since they implemented this system, all the schools that accept "opt-out" students have had a significant drop in test scores...my kids go to one of these schools. The test scores used to be phenomenal, which was one of the reasons why we chose to move where we did...but now the scores are average to below average. It's very frustrating as a parent. We tried enrolling in magnet schools, but didn't get chosen in the lottery.
[/quote]

You're welcome! Feel free to send me a PM if you have any more questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
 
231 posts, read 610,506 times
Reputation: 133
Have schools changed this much? When I was in the Guilford schools, the kids performing poorly were not in the same class as those performing at grade level, and those performing even better were in AG classes, also segregated by performance. Is it no longer this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by java323 View Post
It's frustrating because as a parent you watch your neighborhood school go from 80s-90s in proficiency tests, to 60s and 70s in a matter of 4 years. Obviously something is changing and not for the better. Would I rather have my child be in a class where 80 - 90% of his classmates can read at grade level or be with a class where only half can read at grade level and the teacher has to play catch-up all year, with increasingly limited resources? How is my frustration confusing to you?
Sorry, but I don't understand your frustration...if the level of education your children are getting has declined then I can understand. But it just seems like the statistics have declined with no real effect on them, so it's strange that it would be such a big deal to you.

From a teacher's perspective, I'm wondering what you as a parent have done to help stop the decline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top