U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 AM

87 posts, read 108,658 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Greensboro (his is originally from the area, and the move, I believe, is inevitable). We will be moving from NYC. We would love to move close to downtown Greensboro, i.e., Fisher Park and Irving Park as we love the location and the homes.

But, I am concerned about the public schools. The test scores for those neighborhood elementary schools seem to be much lower than other elementary schools in the area (a major drop between 2007 and 2008). I can't seem to find any newspaper article or thread on this forum that can shed light as to why one of the best neighborhoods in Greensboro has poor test scores. (49% proficient in reading....) Does someone reading this forum know?
I currently work in public education, and would like to send my kids (who will be starting Kindergarden next year) to public school. I'm not opposed to sending them to a decent/middle of the road elementary, but 49% proficient seems really low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 AM

231 posts, read 610,013 times
Working in public education, you know that student performance has more to do with the student him/herself and less about the school. An intelligent student will excel at any school, while an unintelligent student's success is tied to his/her home environment, school/teacher quality and other factors.
Bottom line: have an honest understanding of your child's abilities. If your child is intelligent, then school quality only becomes an issue if the school is horrendous, and the schools in those districts aren't horrendous.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 AM

87 posts, read 108,658 times
olrac,
I would prefer an assessment of the neighborhood/school issue rather than a suggestion to personally assess my child's intelligence.
Thanks.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 AM

Sorry... I think you must have misunderstood.
The public schools are decent there. Standardized testing is never an accurate gauge of student performance, potential nor intelligence, so using test scores will never give you an accurate idea of a school's "quality."

Old 04-11-2011, 04:24 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
I don't have kids, but in the past GCS has been known to implement higher learning programs in poor performing schools, essentially shuffling the numbers. If you haven't already done so I would investigate to find out exactly what school(s) your child would be attending. I don't know how the school system is in NYC, but NC is nortorious for busing.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 AM

31 posts, read 34,510 times
Hi Molly,
I am a parent of GCS elementary age kids. To answer your question, Irving Park and Fisher Park are the most affluent neighborhoods in Greensboro where the majority of kids are sent to private schools. Also, students from surrounding low-performing public schools are allowed to opt-out of their assigned schools, and attend better performing schools. Since they implemented this system, all the schools that accept "opt-out" students have had a significant drop in test scores...my kids go to one of these schools. The test scores used to be phenomenal, which was one of the reasons why we chose to move where we did...but now the scores are average to below average. It's very frustrating as a parent. We tried enrolling in magnet schools, but didn't get chosen in the lottery.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 PM

21 posts, read 133,936 times
Default The School Does Matter

I agree with you becasue if the school do not have the tools to challenge a kid then no matter how intelligent they are it would go to waste. Kid spend most of their day at school in a 24 hour period so you would want them with teachers/school who challenge the kids to excel and not just be average. Hope you find a great school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyNyC View Post
olrac,
I would prefer an assessment of the neighborhood/school issue rather than a suggestion to personally assess my child's intelligence.
Thanks.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Default Test Scores

Maybe not totally but they help to know what a child is learning. Some kids even adults are not good test takers but they do give you some measure of what is been taught and what they retained.

quote=olrac;18675669]Sorry... I think you must have misunderstood.
The public schools are decent there. Standardized testing is never an accurate gauge of student performance, potential nor intelligence, so using test scores will never give you an accurate idea of a school's "quality."[/quote]

Old 04-14-2011, 12:12 PM

Default Busing

Is there something wrong with busing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I don't have kids, but in the past GCS has been known to implement higher learning programs in poor performing schools, essentially shuffling the numbers. If you haven't already done so I would investigate to find out exactly what school(s) your child would be attending. I don't know how the school system is in NYC, but NC is nortorious for busing.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryhappy View Post
Maybe not totally but they help to know what a child is learning. Some kids even adults are not good test takers but they do give you some measure of what is been taught and what they retained.

Well, not to go too far off-track, but these tests don't let you know what the children are learning; only what they are memorizing.
Look at children in China, for instance. They are remarkably great memorizers of information, which gives the false impression on standardized tests that students from the best schools in China are much brighter than their counterparts in other countries. However, a closer look reveals that they actually learn no more, are no more intelligent and, in fact, are much less capable of creative thought than American students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point