U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,137 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area in June, and I have a few questions I wonder if anyone can answer for me.

1. Is Greensboro or Winston-Salem a better place to live? My husband and I are in our early-mid twenties and would like to live in a safe area with historic charm close to parks, restaurants, shopping, etc. I would love to live in a walkable neighborhood. I have read about some areas that seem to fit this bill, such as Ardmore in Winston-Salem and Fisher Park in Greensboro, for example. Which is preferable?

2. We are looking for single-family homes to rent in the area. Most of what I've seen online appears to be apartment buildings or condos, and that is really not what we are interested in. Are there single family homes to rent in the area, and if so, do you know of a website where I could view them?

3. I am a teacher, and while I'm applying at all the surrounding counties and school systems, I would like to know what is considered the "best" school system in the area. Forsyth County vs. Guilford County, for example?

Thanks for all the help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 AM

29 posts, read 34,020 times
Hello,

We lived in Greensboro for a while and moved to Kernersville, NC...which is right between the two of them. We see plenty of rental houses around and might want to consider there. I have heard that the Guilford County school system is better (being a product of it, myself, I must say I am biased), but I think, it really boils down to what SCHOOL you will be teaching at.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,101,701 times
About the schools, I'd say both systems (overall) are very similar. This site North Carolina State Districts - NC School District Rankings ranks them about the same (Guilford at 110, Forsyth at 116). But I think you're really asking the wrong question. As Hotdog says, the overall ranking isn't as important as the individual schools. Both systems have excellent schools, and both have schools that aren't so great. I can tell you (from being married to a teacher for over 20 years) that the difference is in the school's leadership, and unfortunately there are far too many schools in both systems with ineffective leaders. So hopefully you'll get lucky and be able to find a job working for one of the good eggs.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,137 times
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:56 PM

700 posts, read 1,439,194 times
Default Here is my take

Quote:
Originally Posted by holls117 View Post
My husband and I will be moving to the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area in June, and I have a few questions I wonder if anyone can answer for me.

1. Is Greensboro or Winston-Salem a better place to live? My husband and I are in our early-mid twenties and would like to live in a safe area with historic charm close to parks, restaurants, shopping, etc. I would love to live in a walkable neighborhood. I have read about some areas that seem to fit this bill, such as Ardmore in Winston-Salem and Fisher Park in Greensboro, for example. Which is preferable?

Ardmore is a great place. It is between the to hospitals. Near the new BBT ballfield. Shopping with Hanes Mall and Thurway close by. Several smaller businesses close by. Places to eat. A few parks are within the Ardmore area. The YMCA is just a small jog near West End.

2. We are looking for single-family homes to rent in the area. Most of what I've seen online appears to be apartment buildings or condos, and that is really not what we are interested in. Are there single family homes to rent in the area, and if so, do you know of a website where I could view them?

Work closely with a few agents in the area. Can put you in contact with them. Just PM me and I will pass their contact info on.

3. I am a teacher, and while I'm applying at all the surrounding counties and school systems, I would like to know what is considered the "best" school system in the area. Forsyth County vs. Guilford County, for example?

WSFC seems to have some solid leadership. With some private schools in the area.

Thanks for all the help you can give me!
Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point