Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 AM

6 posts, read 7,742 times

Advertisements

We're moving to WS in August (a family of two pianists), my husband got a position at the UNSCA.
We're looking for a house and just found one which we really like but we have no idea about its neighborhood. It's located in the Peace Haven (Jonestown) area. Could anyone give us any tips about it? Is this area safe and good? We're expecting a child in a couple of weeks so good schools is also a subject to consider.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,137,915 times
Hi, and welcome to Winston-Salem! Always good to have more musicians around.

Since you didn't specify exactly where you're looking, I can only give you a general answer. The residential areas around Peace Haven/Jonestown are good. Some are very nice, and others are more working class but they're not unsafe by any means. It's a convenient area for shopping, and for accessing the major highways (I-40 and US 421).

It's also a good area for schools. Depending on where you are, your kids will feed into Reynolds, Reagan, or perhaps West Forsyth high school, which are all among the top schools in the county. Although I'm not as familiar with the elementary and middle schools in that area, in general the west side of the county is considered to be very good for schools.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Hi, and welcome to Winston-Salem! Always good to have more musicians around.

Since you didn't specify exactly where you're looking, I can only give you a general answer. The residential areas around Peace Haven/Jonestown are good. Some are very nice, and others are more working class but they're not unsafe by any means. It's a convenient area for shopping, and for accessing the major highways (I-40 and US 421).

It's also a good area for schools. Depending on where you are, your kids will feed into Reynolds, Reagan, or perhaps West Forsyth high school, which are all among the top schools in the county. Although I'm not as familiar with the elementary and middle schools in that area, in general the west side of the county is considered to be very good for schools.

Good luck with your move.

Dear Arbyunc,

Thanks a lot for all your comments! We really need them now. We saw 2 houses on Flinfield Str, and we liked them both. The zip code is 27103.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:47 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,137,915 times
I assume you meant Flintfield. Yes, that's a nice, well-kept neighborhood. It feeds Clemmons Middle and West Forsyth High schools, so it's good for schools. There's plenty of shopping right around the corner, there's a neighborhood pool, and a little league baseball park. Not a bad area at all.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 PM

700 posts, read 1,642,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I assume you meant Flintfield. Yes, that's a nice, well-kept neighborhood. It feeds Clemmons Middle and West Forsyth High schools, so it's good for schools. There's plenty of shopping right around the corner, there's a neighborhood pool, and a little league baseball park. Not a bad area at all.
It's ok. these homes were built late 70's early 80's. There are some newer spots. You are correct on the schools they are very good. But, there are a few problems spots in the neighborhood of Salem Woods. Rentals mostly. There is one house just down on Jonestown. Very poor example of the city. Do not get me wrong. Winston-Salem is a great place. But, there are some places that looks cover up facts.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:18 PM

Thanks a lot for all the tips! We'll definitely consider it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point