U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 AM

10 posts, read 16,156 times

Advertisements

Hi:

My son will be moving to WS this summer to start school at UNCSA. We have done some exhaustive research on apts in the city, as well as did a quick tour of several apt complexes this past week. It is hard to get a good feel of which neighborhoods or which apt complexes are safe to live in. Apt ratings sites have been quite negative especially concerning safety: break ins, theft, car vandalism, etc.

We looked at several places in the Ardmore area (ardmore apts were interesting but seemed old and run down), Bromley Park and Morgan Ridge apt seemed very nice, but have gotten some bad reviews on line.
He needs to be relatively close to school (10 minute drive), but in an area that is relatively safe, with other college students, and somewhat quiet.
Can anyone recommend several nice apt complexes that fit this bill? Is traffic busy in these areas? Looking at the Ardmore area, Miller Park area, and the area off of Peters Creek and Ebert Rd. Any other areas we should look at, or any apt complexes in particular?
Thanks,
MF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,248,639 times
I liked living at Crowne Oaks:

Crowne Oaks: Luxurious Apartments in Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflorence View Post
...but in an area that is relatively safe, with other college students, and somewhat quiet.

Wait, what? You want college students and quiet, together?

As you may already know, UNCSA is somewhat tricky because it borders on some not-so-nice areas of town. Not the worst areas, but still areas in which you'd need to be careful. There is some revitalization going on, so there are some pockets of "niceness" and I think the less desirable areas are quite easy to recognize as you pass through. There are some very safe areas quite near campus, but you just need to be diligent in checking them out. Unfortunately I can't help you much as I'm not intimately familiar with apartments in that area, but I think if you contact the housing office of the school they can provide you with information about living options. Also, if your son can make contact with some current students (perhaps he knows some already), they can tell him where the hot spots are.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the apt suggestion. Checked out their online website. Looks very nice but a little pricey. He considered that general area, but thought it might be a bit of a drive (with traffic) from UNCSA. He doesn't know anything about WS, so not too sure if traffic is tough in the mornings.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 PM

My son is an older student..... returning to college after several years out in the "real world". I am trying to help him narrow down some places by doing some of the legwork. He doesn't know anyone in WS nor does he know the area. Oddly, when he contacted the housing dept at UNCSA, their comment was " we don't provide assistance to students who choose to live off campus". When visiting the area this past week, none of the property managers were willing to discuss safety issues. When asked why there were so many security cameras, intrusion systems at the front doors, etc.....we were told "we never have had any problems but that is because we have such good security". We are going back up this weekend to look at some houses. That might be a better option for him.
If anyone knows anything about these 3 apt complexes please feel free to comment:
Morgan Ridge, Bromley Park and Falcon Pointe. These are high on the list so far.
Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 PM

302 posts, read 536,849 times
Although I currently live in Charlotte, I have lived in WS twice in my life and know enough about the neighborhoods to give you a thought or two. Last time I lived in WS, I lived in the West End in a subdivided home with four separate apts; mine was on the ground floor with a separate entrance, but the other ground floor apartment was occupied by a female film school student (I am male), and one upstairs apt was occupied part of my stay by an artistic resident teacher at UNCSA. It was a great location one block from Hanes Park and within walking distance from many restaurants and bars in the West End, and was very safe. I do know that the school has apts/condos adjacent to the campus along Sunnyside Ave, but I don't know who to contact. There are also rentals in Washington Park, and West Salem near the school...but I would think your best bet is to physically look in those neighborhoods or know someone rather than search by management companies. HOpe this helps.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:47 AM

35 posts, read 69,597 times
I am rather new to W-S overall, but my 60+ yr old cousin, who is a professor at Wake Forest, bought a townhome in this area off of RobinHood Road and Huntinggreen Lane - this area is roughly NW of the interstate highways, but very close (10-15 min) to many of the schools and downtown - traffic here is nothing compared to a larger city, so really there's no worries there no matter where he eventually resides...that much I can tell you, since I have lived and traveled extensively in Orlando/Chicago/Atlanta/ and L.A, and most recently from NE TN in Knoxville, where that city had about 700K of a population, and still the traffic was nothing to be remotely upset about, so I doubt he will have that issue too often.

Also, the main mall and other shops are all within 15-20 min of this area, and where I live now (cousins's townhome), there are many, many apt complexes, and other owner-owned condo/townhouse complexes - by saying that, many of the population I have learned in this area are either grad students and/or teachers, and if you check out the crime data for the city of W-S, and plug in any address near that intersection I referred to earlier in this post, then you will see that crime is virtually non-existent, and this is a very aesthetically nice area as well - everyone takes care of their property, and it's quite nice to walk the sidewalks here. I just walked to a Mexican rest the other day (5 blocks), and the grocery, post office, hardware store, are all within a healthy walk.....but the drive is maybe 5-8 minutes if that?

I would also recommend checking out the rentals under homes/apts in the local W-S Journal Newspaper - they list some of the rentals of this area.....

Good Luck for him!

Hope this is helpful....

Old 05-15-2011, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 14,543 times
Hi,
We just recently moved to WS from northern NH and I was first amazed at how easy driving is in WS; traffic patterns are really well planned out and I never feel stressed; drivers are polite, patient, compared to what I was used to even way up north; and everything is pretty much within a 5-10 min drive to anything.

We are off Ebert Road/Swaim Rd -(south central area). There are some nice units in the Crosswinds Development that are quite reasonable, and there are a couple of seemingly decent complexes nearby. (Try a trip through the neighborhood with Google Earth). The whole area is very quiet and safe. Not sure the same can be said the closer one gets to Greensboro.

I was really concerned by the crime stats for WS before moving, but I feel completely safe in this city. Everything is very clean, bike paths, etc. Very progressive, people-oriented city. Great library too.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 PM

201 posts, read 519,191 times
I suggest he choose the shortest lease he can so he can get to know the area. Then when his lease is up he can move somewhere else or stay where he is.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 AM

273 posts, read 850,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieBird View Post
Hi,
We just recently moved to WS from northern NH and I was first amazed at how easy driving is in WS; traffic patterns are really well planned out and I never feel stressed; drivers are polite, patient, compared to what I was used to even way up north; and everything is pretty much within a 5-10 min drive to anything.

You must not drive Hanes Mall Blvd or Stratford Rd much then. I constantly curse the planners of that area as well as the light management system there. Just too much traffic for the amount of lights. Recently I had to make a couple of stops, one on Hanes Mall and another out in Lewisville and I mistakenly did the Hanes Mall stop first. It took me 20 mins to get from the exit at Hanes Mall Blvd and I-40 back to I-40 W. I do agree with you in regards to traffic compared to elsewhere (with exception to those two roads), it is much less congested, mainly due to smaller population.

To the OP, you certainly want to look at the area you'll be committing to unless you sign a very short 3-mo lease or so. The area around the campus is hit and miss, you have $400,000 homes a block from $40,000 homes that could use bulldozing, a couple blocks from $300,000 townhomes, etc. It's a bit of a transition area. House rentals/subdivided house rentals would probably be more in line with what he's looking for, but maybe after he moves here and gets a feel for where he wants to be (West end, Ardmore, Washington Park).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point